Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: High wind surfboards

Postby fdvj » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 pm

I am thinking about a 2013 Naish Global 5'8" I am around 85 kgs so it should be about right.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm

I have a 5'8" Brunotti surfboard for high wind sessions, love it!
2014's looks sweet too at 5'9''X18 1/8''X2 1/4''

http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/inde ... ductId=566

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:09 am

Hello,

We only work with Cohete surfboards. These beauties are super strong, light and are unbelievable good in price.
Custom shaped and we use them daily in our waters in Sumatra.
Perfect are the Dizer etc.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Dirk wrote: have a Global 2012 5.5 which is 44cm wide and very compact. No problem riding that with a 5m kite (75kg) in stormy conditions. The 2013 5.5. is 43 cm and should also be good.

I also have the 5.8. 2013 Global which is 45cm and easy to control at speed.
Dirk I got your advice before...I was inquiring about a 2011 Naish Global 5'4 that ended up getting sold. I missed out on that one, but perhaps it was a bit on the small side anyhow.

It's the season again and I too am looking for a high wind surfboard to compliment my 19.5" wide Airush Cypher. It's a great board and can ride it in 30 plus but I've got to keep it sloooow. It's also a bit bouncy in chop as you'd expect.

Someone said the 012 and newer Globals ride a little harder in chop. Dirk you're one of the resident Global experts ;) what's your experience?

Also came across an 2011 Global in a 6'. Is this too big as a high wind (chop eating) board for someone my size 72 kg?

The Naish Gun looks interesting as a high wind board. They're quite a few on closeout to be had. Can anyone weigh in on this model?

Also found a 013 North Kontact 5'9...Heard they are kind of small for anyone but real light weights and consistent high winds ??

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 pm

I got a 2013 global in the end, and so far pretty happy with it, It isn't the lightest or flexist board out there but deals with the chop well and allows you to sink the tail to survive the gusts, if you were inclined then it would be able to use it to boost with as it is built to take it.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:04 am

fdvj wrote:I got a 2013 global in the end, and so far pretty happy with it, It isn't the lightest or flexist board out there but deals with the chop well and allows you to sink the tail to survive the gusts, if you were inclined then it would be able to use it to boost with as it is built to take it.
You'll be happy with it. I used mine in triple overhead, and ultra bumpy waters and the board handled it fine.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 am

Windtzu, as everybody has written before the Globals work very well in chop. At your weight which is similar to mine and your intended usage of the board I would go for the smaller (5.7/5.8") versions. I think the small Contacts would also work very well but I never have ridden one. I only see one of my kite buddies on his 2010 5.9 doing really well in all kind of conditions including onshore and small waves. He is the same weight and his biggest kite is a 10m. He starts to ride it in 16 knots onwards.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks Dirk!

I'm also seeing a few Naish Gun's online. They look interesting. Any word on these?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:59 pm

windtzu wrote:Thanks Dirk!

I'm also seeing a few Naish Gun's online. They look interesting. Any word on these?
A few of my friends love the Naish Gun, and they havent found anything else to replace - as it apparently got extreme hold and grip in choppy conditions, and fast too, especially if you are light, it really delivers in difficult situations :D

Have no experience myself, but as said - I know a few who really like this very board :naughty:

8) Peter

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
windtzu wrote:Thanks Dirk!

A few of my friends love the Naish Gun, and they havent found anything else to replace - as it apparently got extreme hold and grip in choppy conditions, and fast too, especially if you are light, it really delivers in difficult situations :D

Have no experience myself, but as said - I know a few who really like this very board :naughty:

8) Peter
The Gun is a lovely board - I have the full wood laminate and it looks almost too nice to use - it does have extreme grip/hold in choppy conditions, but I only use mine in big waves, as for me it is too long for use in high wind and chop; even more noticeably in the air, as although it is perfect for boosting, you get a lot of windage/buffeting. It really comes into its own is in big waves, if you want to bottom turn on a big wave, no board I have ever used feels so secure. In comparison, the Globals feel detuned, which of course they aren't as they are a more all round shape.

Also, in the nuking on-shore conditions we've been getting in the last few weeks, you still cant beat the trusted Mutant - with the advantage of my customs is that you can jump them all day long without breaking!

Return to “Kitesurfing”