Forum for kitesurfers
windtzu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North surf straps. Comfy but shit!

Postby windtzu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Me too with the North 2012's. The straps on my Airush surfboard are no better. They have almost no adjustment at all. RRD's come with Dakine straps. I know from personal experience, they actually work.

There's a reason why companies why aftermarket accessories exist. It's the same for automobiles as well.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm

We've seen this problem with the 2012 surfstraps, and some of the early 2013s. Something to do with the factory switching a clip inside the strap. For the most part we've been replacing these under warranty. Haven't heard of any issues with the 2014s and it's usually not a problem to switch them out. If you have this problem, contact your dealer and they should sort you out.

Underwindpower... I have not heard of any serial problems with Vario or Entity straps, but I'm sure it's possible that you've got a bad one somehow. Again, contact your dealer if you think its a warranty issue. As far as testing, we've been using the same basic design for our Vario straps for years and people have been generally pretty happy with them that whole time. That said, everyone has different feet/taste in what they want in a pad/strap setup.

-Dan

UnderWindPower
Rare Poster
Gear: 2011 North Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby UnderWindPower » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 am

Dan-at-North wrote:
Underwindpower... I have not heard of any serial problems with Vario or Entity straps, but I'm sure it's possible that you've got a bad one somehow. Again, contact your dealer if you think its a warranty issue. As far as testing, we've been using the same basic design for our Vario straps for years and people have been generally pretty happy with them that whole time. That said, everyone has different feet/taste in what they want in a pad/strap setup.

-Dan
Dan, thank you for your personal response. The Vario footpad/straps I have are the white ones from a few years back. The problem I have with them is entirely due to me using them in the surf. The velcro on mine is not aggresive enough, and has to small a contact area to withstand the whitewater and wipeouts. I've solved the problem by threading a pair of thin socks with the toes cut off, over the flaps, so that the waves have no purchase.

Again thanks for taking the care and time with your North customers.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 am

Dan-at-North wrote:We've seen this problem with the 2012 surfstraps, and some of the early 2013s. Something to do with the factory switching a clip inside the strap.

-Dan
I've been learning the in's and out's of footwear design and production. It's amazing for overseas manufacturing of soft goods how much of a persistent problem this is. Making sure your manufacture does all the things you spec'd and agreed upon and keeps doing them after the sample. They'll even switch out halfway through a production run or during a reorder. :nono:

Return to “Kitesurfing”