Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Kiteboarder Magazine - bring back these video series....

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

The Kiteboarder Magazine - bring back these video series....

Postby NYKiter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I found these to be the most objective kite review videos around but they discontinued them..
They looked at both the pros and the cons. Now they just interview the brand reps and get them towing the company line. Real does some too but they are not as detailed.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Kiteboarder Magazine - bring back these video series

Postby eree » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 pm

actually i don't think those vids were objective. pretty much reading from brands web sites. so no big change in opinion, but saving in salaries...

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey Eree,

I actually found that the reviews to be honest in feedback from the test riders. It wasn't all roses and high praise for every kite. Watch enough of the reviews and it became apparent to what kites seemed to be better than others. The ironic things with magazines is that they have to keep personal preferences to themselves and report on simple flying characteristics. What one person may love about a kite may not be shared among others. When you keep the content simple than you enable people to base their own opinions beyond what has been mentioned.

James

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Been thanked: 0

Postby elliott george » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:23 am

soul19 wrote:Hey Eree,

I actually found that the reviews to be honest in feedback from the test riders. It wasn't all roses and high praise for every kite. Watch enough of the reviews and it became apparent to what kites seemed to be better than others. The ironic things with magazines is that they have to keep personal preferences to themselves and report on simple flying characteristics. What one person may love about a kite may not be shared among others. When you keep the content simple than you enable people to base their own opinions beyond what has been mentioned.

James
I really agree with this, they seem to give really straight forward onhest opinions on kites. Where as other magazines just seem to repeat the company's marketing pitch. Apparently the negative opinions from the testers are taken out of the magazine, as the kite manufacturers will not buy advertisement spaces. Don't quote me on this its just what I've heard from someone who knows the kite testers.

Since we are discussing magazines kite reviews a while ago kiteworld started raiting charecteristics out of 10. It's starting to give a way of telling which kites are better at what. So a definite improvement there.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:23 am

I think this group of reviews were pretty good for the 2012 model kites.
I believe it was because they were not publishing the reviews in the magazine and you had to pay the magazine to get the reviews online like a one time subscription, it was only a couple of bucks.
And if you read and watched them all, it was pretty accurate, but they were careful to be kind, as all the magazines do.
The kites I've been on since that review, has proved to me that they were pretty well describing the kites in a nice guy sort of way.
I find the KiteWorld Magazine reviews to also be pretty good, but it is obvious that they have to please advertising kite companies.
But I think the testers at KiteWorld mag do ride them and are good kiters and have a clue what they are doing, so their feedback is useful, but not overly critical, just as you would expect.
SBC never did a review, just re-writes of advertising.
Kiteboarding magazine was the same way, you got the feeling that they never tested anything and wrote reviews from and office.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:30 am

I have found the iksurfmag is it?, were pretty spot on with the 2014 kites this year. They also seem to have some riders now who test all the aspect of the kite. But as you said they need to be 'nice' but cross reference what they any mag says from riders here and your own experience and you get a decent idea. It's just another piece of the puzzle that's all. I start with the companies marketing crap, then the mags, then the normal riders then my own demo which I do with 4 or five others, back to back with our regular wing and other kites, to make sure I don't start believing my own bullshit.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 am

As a retailer I'm always amazed at how many customers mention kite reviews when purchasing new kites. Online or print,the reviews can be taken seriously by some to the point of affecting the purchase of said reviewed kite. Positive things are said about the product and for the most part,thats what should be reported.
I only comment on equipment I sell and use. My boss always wants me to try other brands( If offered) we don't sell and the odd time I do. Last season I flew my first North kite, a Rebel. Excellent! In Hatteras,Dimitri always gets me on his Epic's(Screamer,big ass air!). We don't sell them and won't but its good feedback for me and the person who was nice enough to let me try his kite or board.
What bothers me, is when a "tester" says something about a kite(kiteboarder) that is really nothing close to reality. When I have been on said product for more than the half hour they have, I really question the validity of the "Test" .
I like the KiteWorld tests, they are well written and spot on for the Brands I'm familiar with. Mike Birt on the UK forum and here gives excellent feedback on the products he reps, Airush & Shinn( We sell both).

Return to “Kitesurfing”