Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Safe student launch?

Postby MACTNKA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 am

Hey guys, what do you think is better way to hook a student to a kite? I am not a fen of unhooking the kite and transfering it while in the air, cause i am worried about the student accidentally pulling on the bar during the transfer. What's your take on it?

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Safe student launch?

Postby noel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:00 am

That's why you tell them to not grab the bar until after the transfer and explain why. I always transfer while in the air. Have taught close to 1000 people and not a single problem.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:42 am

Yep...no issues handing over in the air although you can also park a kite on the water at the side of the window....do the switch...and get them to actually launch it off the water. Skills they have to master as early as possible.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 am

If you are worth 2 cents as a teacher you have already had them launch and fly kites, and practice releasing the kite to safety, reloading and relaunching, several times before trying this move.
IMHO :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:
But to help things, maybe when you pass the CL to their harness, you should have them put their hands on the release, not the bar, while you still have the bar.
"KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE CL, OK?"
Then move the bar to where they can reach it,
Then let them put their hands on it INSIDE yours
-NOT at the bar ends-
Then remove your hands, after making sure they are ready to control the kite, and transfer the leash.
Should be good, if the instructor and the student have done appropriate basics first.
If not, do the basics first.
:advise:

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 am

a fundamental aspect of kite instruction is imparting the concept and fact that a kite can be put down at the side of the wind and left alone, with the bar untouched, and that that is the safest and most predicable place for a "flying kite" to be. that is something that anyone that knows anything about giving someone good advise about how not to hurt themselves with a kite knows to emphasize to their clients. you can always put a kite down and let it sit on its wingtip, and not "multitask" with a kite in the air. aka, a kite on its wingtip on the ground (or the water), is the best place for a kite when: transferring, picking up a board, putting on a board, adjusting a harness, adjusting a helmet, anything. especially for an inexperienced kite flyer. obviously these things can be done easily with the kite in the air by experienced flyer, but the fact remains there is less skill required, and less stress, less difficulty, and less risk when a kite is touched down.

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.

Postby Timop » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

Agree - side of the window on the water (ground) , on wing tip.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 am

I reckon setting the kite down and having the bar out and unhandled while transferring the chickenloop and leash is the safer way.

When Switchblades flagged to a rear line, I heard of a teacher transferring the chickenloop and bar to a student while the leash was still attached to the teacher. A gust hits and the student is dragged a few feet away from the teacher.
The leash to the rear line puts the kite into a powerloop and the student gets a broken arm.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:40 pm

On land practice seapping the chicken loop between students. Student to student if you have a few. Most focus directly on the chicken loop amd leash and dont just go for the bar. Especially if not touching the bar until you affirm that they are allowed to is reiterated. The ones that do in practice you must pay extra attention to in the water. Ive been out many days where big kites where not available to use and had to make do with 12 meters that could barely fly let alone relaunch. Risk was very low and wanted them to learn about flying the kite, not tugging on lines for an hour. I say this is not recommended for any of you but we need to keep the kite dry so we can learn. I fly the kite detach my leash and chicken tube, you put your leash on, i check it they i say grab he chicken line below the bar ad hook in and ill then give kite control to student. Sometimes ill fly split finger one hand on the bar and hook the chicken loop onto the studenta spreader bar myself. No need to fly the kite and transfer in relaunchable winds. In less i think it is very safe assuming the instructor is not a careless jackass and can keep track of each students impulse to touch things they are told not to.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Have the student loop the kite while you do the transfer.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Eurus wrote:Have the student loop the kite while you do the transfer.
You gotta show us a video of that.... :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”