Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best light-wind snow kite? Cabriha Velocity 18M?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Professor Robae'
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best light-wind snow kite? Cabriha Velocity 18M?

Postby Professor Robae' » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Ready to upgrade. I have been riding/ love Cabrinha Crossbows for years with a current low-wind kite being the 2011 16M Crossbow. Considering the 18M Velocity but have concerns about the durability and wind range. (Cabrinha hypes lighter bladders, materials and no scuff guards). :-?

Anyone have experience/ observations on the Velocity for snow and ice? Better light wind kite options? Thanks!

greatlakeaddiction
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Western Michigan shoreline, united states
Style: freeride
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha crossbow 13m
2011 Cabrinhs crosshow 10m

Re: Best light-wind snow kite? Cabriha Velocity 18M?

Postby greatlakeaddiction » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm

I was able to test contra 17m for a couple weeks ago on a frozen lake with about a foot of powder on top. A 2 hour session in 8 to 12 knots and another in 14 to 17 knots, the contra seems to built for the average guy sacrificing over weight for a bit of durability. I'm 230 pounds by the way on a snowboard

I currently ride 2011 crossbows, the contra turns faster and has less bar pressure then my 13m crossbow. Floaty jumps like the crossbow as well, the contra has good upwind but not as great as the crossbow.

I know you asked about the velocity, but since cabrinha finally offers a average joe light wind kite, I think its worth a look

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 pm

9m Flysurfer Peak

I am getting out on the snow with this kite and powered better than 16+m kite in the super light wind. even better then some guys with the big foils. The 9m Peak turns a lot faster than the big foils (or inflatable) so that is a big advantage too.

Super easy setup (takes about 2 minutes to unwind and launch), fast packdown into a small sack, light wind re-launch a breeze, everything super simple. The kite and bar complete weigh around 4.5 lbs. And can't complain about the price either.

Try it. You migh be amazed

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm

I have a BRM Cloud 17m and it works very well. If there is enough wind to softly ruffle the canopy at the wing tips (while parked on the ground), I've got enough power to go upwind in 6" of "powder".

robertovillate wrote:9m Flysurfer Peak

I am getting out on the snow with this kite and powered better than 16+m kite in the super light wind. even better then some guys with the big foils. The 9m Peak turns a lot faster than the big foils (or inflatable) so that is a big advantage too.

Super easy setup (takes about 2 minutes to unwind and launch), fast packdown into a small sack, light wind re-launch a breeze, everything super simple. The kite and bar complete weigh around 4.5 lbs. And can't complain about the price either.

Not sure how'd it would launch after a crash, this is kinda cool: Watch Volume at start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jT3k__T84

Have you tried the Peak on the water?

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:31 am

Whattheflock wrote: Have you tried the Peak on the water?
I have not tried it on the water...yet...defo plan to tho.

I had not seen the video of the Peak water launch...that's pretty cool! I might treat mine with some SailKote to make it shed water really fast...but I don't anticipate putting the kite in the water. The Peak is very stable and you'd really have to "kook out" to crash it.

sorry...not trying to hijack the thread...but as another example of Peak performance: today, blowing 16-22 kts, I was riding my 6m Peak on varying terrain, some steep ascents, and well powered, while other experienced riders on 9m LEI's were consistently underpowered, one guy on a 13m Cab doing well.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:45 am

I have 13m velocity - it has no scuff guards so likely less durable than contra or Flite. Goes upwind phenomenally well.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:39 pm

robertovillate wrote:9m Flysurfer Peak

I have to agree, The 9M gets you going in very little wind. Another advantage is the durability of these things. I did manage to tear the leading edge of mine on a branch. I was riding a waist deep powder stash way too close to a tree line. I hit a branch hard enough that I know any kite would have been torn. The 2" puncture to the leading edge would have resulted in a 2 mile hike out with a lei.. I didn't even know I tore the leading edge until I went to pack up. Sorry about the hijack, might help some one some day :bye:

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Have been on Cabrinha kites since 2004, mostly Crossbows, Was very close to buying the Velocity 18m, but after searching the web for days I got convinsed that the Edge 19 is a lot better kite.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382142&start=0

:thumb:

Professor Robae'
Rare Poster

Postby Professor Robae' » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks for the input! Contra sounds like a good choice.
Now the question is: sell now or wait for the 2015 models from Cabrinha in the fall? Anyone know if they will significantly upgrading the Contras for 2015???

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Roberto how well did your Peak survive the tree?

Return to “Snow / Land”