Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Safe student launch?

Postby sijandy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Eurus wrote:Have the student loop the kite while you do the transfer.
I heard that's the safest way

Lubo
Rare Poster

Postby Lubo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:55 pm

That's a great topic. I recently had an argument with a friend of mine who also doesn't like to transfer the CL to a student while the kite is in the air, so instead he prefers to launch the kite himself standing next to the student holding the bar while the student is hooked. What is your input on that method guys? Any comments?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Lubo wrote:That's a great topic. I recently had an argument with a friend of mine who also doesn't like to transfer the CL to a student while the kite is in the air, so instead he prefers to launch the kite himself standing next to the student holding the bar while the student is hooked. What is your input on that method guys? Any comments?
I think you won the argument, and he will likely end up in a law suit one day.
He should self launch then put the kite on the edge of the window touching the water and swap then.
Better yet teach the student to assist in launching as the first lesson. Then do the above swap.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Since when did it become recommended for Switchblades to flag to a rear line?
Did I miss something :?:

Edit -oops! Apologies Ronnie - I had 3 SB3's and forgot about the ring, co I never used it!

ronnie wrote:I reckon setting the kite down and having the bar out and unhandled while transferring the chickenloop and leash is the safer way.

When Switchblades flagged to a rear line, I heard of a teacher transferring the chickenloop and bar to a student while the leash was still attached to the teacher. A gust hits and the student is dragged a few feet away from the teacher.
The leash to the rear line puts the kite into a powerloop and the student gets a broken arm.
Last edited by badgb21 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 pm

badgb21,
The Switchblade model Ronnie is referring to, is the 2007/2008 Switchblade which flagged out on a rear line.

Lubo
Rare Poster

Postby Lubo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Do you guys mind staying on topic. This is a safety issue not a gear discution

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Ok then the point:
It is not safe to hand off a kite in the air to an inexperienced kiter.
Ever.
The minimum requirements to hand off a kite should be:
High confidence in handling that particular kite and it's safety system.
Excellent judgment of local wind conditions
Strong preference for open unobstructed location with no riders people or obstacles for75-100m.
Excellent, clear communication between riders.

With a student, few of these conditions can be met.
I did not bother trying to pass kites off until after years of experience, and only then with riders I trust.
Relaunching a kite is so basic, beginners need the maximum practice launching and landing anyway, they need to master it before you send them off to need rescue downwind.
If there is a wind shadow or obstacles to consider, the area is not acceptable for lessons, find another place to teach, even if that only means wading another 100m out.
!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:12 pm

In 2009, i was re-learning to kite board with two fake legs, and didn't
want to attempt to kite out of the bay at 6-mile with all those swimmers around
me , till i got Good control over the board. I had already bin kite boarding for about
four years, so i knew how to fly a kite.

I would have someone borrow my Edge
for 1/2 hour, and i would walk over to the up-wind point that's South of 6-mile. We
would transfer the kite over to me, and i would easily kite away from that point
without worrying about hitting a swimmer.

I absolute did NOT like to do that transfer, with the kite overhead ; things go Bad
and there's NO time to react. With the kite nearly touching the water, i felt that i
had time to ditch the kite to the safety line, (Before the kite hit the Power zone).

OK -- it's the same distance to the power zone with the kite overhead, as it
is on the side with the kite nearly touching the water,
BUT
if i did get launched, it was gonna be towards the water, (when the kite was low), and
not Up --- where gravity could eventually Hurt me.

In the end, it's a personal thing, but i Do Not think transferring a kite to anyone, is
a safe thing to do ; even if they Both persons can kite board with reasonable ability.

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:56 pm

i dont think it is a big deal to transfer a kite in light or medium winds. The problem is that is that everyone is in a hurry and you sometimes have a brand new beginner taking lessons in bf6 (22 to 27 knots) bf7 (28 to 33 knots) or even more. That is when bad things happen.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:57 pm

The first time I hand it to a student it's always parked on its tip on the sand. Before I do this I'm giving a demonstration of the stability of being parked there, ie. if you move downwind you destabilize it, if you move upwind a little bit you stabilize it. I position them perfectly and hook them in, no touching the bar, take a moment to relax. Then, take the bar and work it off the beach.

I do in air transfers at 12 o'clock once they are getting comfortable, but only in clean moderate wind. Also, I always state who has control - "you have the kite" - if you pop their chicken dick out prior and start the transfer by going for the CL then the risk dissapears once the CL is out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”