Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Slayer vs Spleene Monster Door?

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Airush Slayer vs Spleene Monster Door?

Postby norcom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 pm

My only experience with a light wind board is the Spleene Monster Door. I have it and really like it but it sucks for small, crappy waves.

Has anyone compared the Airush Slayer to the Monster Door? Is the light wind performance as good?

I have the LF Little Phatty, which is advertised as a light wind surfboard that's relatively wide with volume but it doesn't compare to the Monster Door in the light wind department.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Airush Slayer vs Spleene Monster Door?

Postby bigwave » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:59 am

I have spent a lot of time riding Airush Sectors and the Slayer. The Sector V2 52(V4 54 too) was my favourite LW to Med wind board for years. Previous to that I had a Sector 60 V 1.5 (slightly different than the V1). The only time I've ever been on a Spleene Door was the first day I tested the Sector 60. One of our customers had a door and we rode it back to back with the Sector. Like some, I had a windsurfing background before I started kiting. I learned kiting on a 7'6" Naish Sky Pirate so I was very comfortable on directionals from day one.
I tell our customers a Sector 60 will add around 3m to your kite. Your comparing basically a TT (door) to a board that has volume and fins for lift. I find the Sectors plane quicker and have a better upwind angle of attack. If you move up to a race board, more performance and then a Foil Board even more so.
Just as the performance increase with those 3 board types, so does the learning curve. The Door or a brand I sell Nobile Flying Carpet are obviously very user friendly and comfortable if you can ride a TT.
Last year I rode the Airush Slayer 60 quite a bit and it was super fun strapless! Easy to jibe and tack and fun to get some air off small chop. Its not super surfy but in small mushy style lake waves, fun can be had. I never rode it strapped. There is a dramatic difference in speed compared to a Sector. The Slayer would have very good get up and go but then it was almost like a governor kicked in and thats the speed your going. The Sector would accelerate and really fly off the wind. I experimented a bit with the fins, more pointer style resulted in better upwind but tightened up the board(Slayer) but never the speed performance.
So, I obviously lean toward the directional boards for LW performance vs a TT. I noticed you are riding the Airush Zero as your LW weapon. Very powerful kite!. I have one this year. In previous years when I was Riding Sectors, the biggest kite I needed was a 14m. Last year was the first year in about 6 that I had a big LW kite Slingshot Turbine 17m. I mainly rode it with a TT in lighter wind. I wanted to do LW freestyle. I rode it only once with my Slayer and while fun, I thought it was over kill. I mainly rode the Slayer with a Slingshot Rally 14m.I don't have the sea breeze 8-10 steady knots where I live. Its usually like around 10-13 on the light days or nothing or worse, a combo of both...lol.
I've rambled on. If you can, give a Slayer a try, you'll learn the turns and you'll have fun. Your best LW will be on a Sector 60. Good luck

rickydee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 260
Local Beach: Long Reef, Narrabeen
Favorite Beaches: Long Reef, Bournemouth, Fiji
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9m, 12m, 14m, Ozone Zephyr, Flysurfer Speed 3 21m, Flydoor XL, Flyradical XL, Shinn Monk 142, OR Mako 165 & 150, Airush Slayer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rickydee » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:03 am

I had a 2008 Spleene Monster Door as my light wind weapon - I loved it until I tried the Flydoor XL which is much lighter, goes up wind better and copes with waves much easier. I also have an Airush Sector 60 which is even better than the XL in light wind but, being a directional, is a different animal. I haven't tried the Slayer but guess it would be a looser more user and wave-friendly version of the Sector.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi. I can compare the Flydoor XL and the Slayer 60. Both are great boards but aimed to different styles. The Flydoor XL doesn't request a great skill to perform good jumps and aerial tricks; the Slayer is obviously way different. You must learn jibes and tacks and in this regard it is one of the best board on the market. Jumping and aerials tricks can be performed as well (see the video below). Strapless is very good but it is heavy for grabbing. The new one (2014) should be lighter. That being said I use both in marginal winds, the Flydoor XL mainly with foil kites, the Slayer with LEIs.

http://vimeo.com/84030775#at=0

......and what about the new Flysurfer Razor :?: ? Soon I'll try it.

Cheers
Carlo

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:02 pm

haiku wrote:Snip....

That being said I use both in marginal winds, the Flydoor XL mainly with foil kites, the Slayer with LEIs.

Snip...

Cheers
Carlo
Curious - why these choices ?

8) Peter

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 am

bigwave wrote:The Sector V2 52(V4 54 too) was my favourite LW to Med wind board for years
I enjoyed yours too! Recently let it go for someone else to enjoy. Cant wait for the new monaro slalom to arrive :)

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks for all the info everyone!
haiku wrote:Hi. I can compare the Flydoor XL and the Slayer 60. Both are great boards but aimed to different styles. The Flydoor XL doesn't request a great skill to perform good jumps and aerial tricks; the Slayer is obviously way different. You must learn jibes and tacks and in this regard it is one of the best board on the market.
So would you say the Flydoor XL is your EXTREME LIGHT WIND board if you're using it with foils? Or do you use it with foils just because it's easier?

If you had to go out in 10mph to do some lawn service (no jumps, tricks) and needed the best light wind board, which one would you go with? XL or Slayer 60? :D

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

Hi. the reason why I use foil kites in very, very marginal winds is simple......they are better than LEIs for this purpose. I tried and owned a lot of big pumps (Crossbow, Turbine, Contra, Fly, Zephyr, Dyno) but they don't give me the same overall performances of Speed's, including bar pressure, relaunching and upper end. I also use a pure race board (RRD K Rapida Special) and an Ozone Edge 2013 quiver but for real fun in very, very low wind, the Flyrace is way better because I can learn new aerial tricks :thumb: when with my race combo I can barely have a session :o .
Cheers
Carlo

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm

shawn13 wrote:
bigwave wrote:The Sector V2 52(V4 54 too) was my favourite LW to Med wind board for years
I enjoyed yours too! Recently let it go for someone else to enjoy. Cant wait for the new monaro slalom to arrive :)
Nice! Yes the Monaro Slalom looks pretty cool. I think we are bringing in a couple. Have you seen the MHL Foil Boards at the store? We have a demo if you want to get beat up a bit...lol

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:01 pm

bigwave wrote:
shawn13 wrote:
Nice! Yes the Monaro Slalom looks pretty cool. I think we are bringing in a couple. Have you seen the MHL Foil Boards at the store? We have a demo if you want to get beat up a bit...lol
Yes Chris is trying to get me to test one out, however when I saw the $2800 price tag I lost interest lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”