Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding without 3rd Party Liability Insurance??

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Riding without 3rd Party Liability Insurance??

Postby BWD » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 am

It's not just rude,
ok then I can retract my apology if that makes you happier.
but judgemental and uninformed.
stupid is as stupid does, sounds like the russian was stupid, maybe you too? That's up to you. Me, I only know what you tell me about this unfortunate incident. So judge that.
I am self employed and this camera is how I make part of my living. It is insured, but the insurance will only pay out if I can get the guys details and get witnesses involved and here in Spain I would have to call the Police which will then put Kiting in a bad light on Fuerteventura. In the end it's a huge hassle to deal with it and my premiums would go up. I saved a long time to afford that camera and my insurance premiums are already too high.
So don't blame others for your business decisions.
Sure it would be easy if the guy that caused the problem just started throwing money at you. Or offered to file an insurance claim on his own policy.
But guess what: the police or others would still have to be informed,,doesn't matter whose policy it is, the insurance company would require documentation.
The camera is just the smallest part.
Agreed, no kidding.
What if he would have seriously injured my girlfriend and my daughter. Her insurance premiums would go up substantially as her insurance company would have to pay out as he is not covered.
You would have called the police, and he would have cooperated to try avoiding the chance to stay in Spain longer than he wanted, in a jail. But premiums might probably still go up, it can be a cruel world.

heemskn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby heemskn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 am

Gunnar,

You are completely right, and your post reminded me that my IKO insurance had run out a while ago. I just got signed up with the VDWS / IKA (the same insurer). Quick and easy online application with paypal payment, and seems to be a better deal than IKO.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 am

heemskn wrote:Gunnar,

...my IKO insurance had run out ...

I just got signed up with the VDWS / IKA (the same insurer).
So it's the same insurer, but IKO and IKA are separate entities , and
not affiliated with each other ; just happen to sell the same policy to kiters ?

Bille

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 am

leepasty wrote:Everyone kitesurfer should have 3rd party insurance - period!
in Greece one year my harness broke and my kite flew up the beach attached to an old windmill which in turn broke while the kite was looping around 200ft up. the broken piece of old windmill blade broke and went through the roof of a big fancy italian camper van. they claimed on my bksa insurance for the 7000 euro repair and all i heard was that they had paid it out. no problems at all after smply giving them my insurance details.
you never know in kitesurfing if something will happen, if your harness breaks or your kite flies away and kills someone and you have no insurance you will end up in prison and lose everything you have- SO GET INSURANCE PEOPLE :D
Great post. Thank you. That is what people like me want to hear. Anyone in the US had a claim that was handled well?

Gunnar: Thanks for posting this. I will get insurance because of it. The Russian joke would have been hilarious had it taken into account the fact that your daughter and girlfriend are OK, and focused on the good intentions of this post.

Insurance claim or not, toddlers being safe on the beach should be the priority for all of us because we all know that is the best place for them to play, and for us to raise them up right. :thumb:

(BTW BWD, I know you didn't mean for your joke to sound as bad as it came out) Peace :bye:

TPink
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 am

I'm in the biz, and can comment on the ins co's I'm familiar w here in the states.
A standard homeowners or renters policy includes liability coverage insuring against injury to a third party or property damage to a third parties property.
The key to liability coverage is to know the exclusions of the policy. In general, if there is a bodily injury or property damage that you cause, and the act is not specifically excluded, then its covered. The other thing to watch is the coverage territory. Most US policies cover occurrences in the US, Canada and PR. Higher standard ins co's we represent have worldwide territories.

So if your looking for coverage and you don't carry a homeowners or renters policy, get one.
If you have one, check the policies exclusions or call the agent to verify the coverage and territory.

All that being said there's no better insurance than common sense. Be smart out there.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 am

The funny thing about insurance companies is that you can pay them for years and when you finally need them they refuse to pay up. No thanks. Instead I recommend that people learn to be responsible human beings. In the extremely rare case where you accidentally cause harm to another person, then you do what it takes to make things right. The kiter mentioned in this instance doesn't sound like a responsible person in the first place. Seems like the real issue is that we all could use some jerk insurance to insure us against other people acting like idiots. That might actually have some real value. Kiter liability insurance? No, I don't think so.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 am

No such thing as insurance for riding here in NZ.

You just go out, ride and have fun!

william_rx7
Medium Poster

Postby william_rx7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Insurance companies collude together and violate your privacy.
Even an application for this kind of coverage will "flag" you as high risk, forever.

bullet
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: ainsdale
Style: landboard freestyle
Gear: peter lynn aero
CKB board
Brand Affiliation: PETER LYNN KITEBOARDING

Postby bullet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 pm

if you don't have insurance then youre also putting yourself at risk. if you hit somebody with your kite whether accident or not and the person is seriously injured, then you will more then likely loose you house and be working to pay off their injury claim for the rest of your life. if you hit me whilst kiting and it effected my ability to provide for my family then I would sue you in a heart beat. UK kiting insurance from the BKSA is £30 a year. if you can afford a kite then you can afford to be insured.

heemskn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites

Postby heemskn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 pm

So it's the same insurer, but IKO and IKA are separate entities , and
not affiliated with each other ; just happen to sell the same policy to kiters ?

Bille
Sorry, I was not clear. The VDWS and the IKA appear to use the same German insurer. The IKO is different and offers less coverage at a higher price. I have not heard from anyone with first hand claim experience, but I am betting my 39 Euro annual fee that the Germans are serious about their insurance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”