A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What kite works in really (marginal) light wind conditio

Postby robertovillate » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

A few observations/questions/comments come to mind about the video posted by ronnie..

It looks like that Cloud turns nice and fast...+++
It clearly must be one of the lightest/if not THE lightest 16m inflatable kite on the market...+++

there were other kites moving along ok in the video
I am curious if there is any data on wind speeds and
what were the other kites being flown for comparison?

I noticed that the Cloud being flown in the video was kept very low in the window.
Is there any particular reason for that ? other than providing a nice background
and is that kite position of the kite good for foil riding (or race board riding)?
from watching kite handling in kite races it seems like the kites are held more in the 45 degree position.

just curious if anyone has ideas.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:25 pm

robertovillate wrote:A few observations/questions/comments come to mind about the video posted by ronnie..

It clearly must be one of the lightest/if not THE lightest 16m inflatable kite on the market...+++

I noticed that the Cloud being flown in the video was kept very low in the window.
Is there any particular reason for that ? other than providing a nice background
and is that kite position of the kite good for foil riding (or race board riding)?
from watching kite handling in kite races it seems like the kites are held more in the 45 degree position.

Flying the kite really low (when going straight) is IMO only for pure "looks good" and has no purpose whatsoever :naughty:

This is why you never see it in kite races, only for showoff and pictures, as they look way better with a low kite in front (or back) !

I do it myself sometimes when foiling, just because it feels good to almost look "down" at your kite, as you are 1 meter higher than normally - and it is fun.

Also, if you have a kitecam rigged, it gives a good angle too.

8) Peter

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Flying the kite really low (when going straight) is IMO only for pure "looks good" and has no purpose whatsoever :naughty:
8) Peter
humm, agree on the looks, just by itself it´s a massive reason. but don´t you feel you go up-wind better once at a speed w/ the kite low at the edge?
(TT, not sure if u were talking w/ other boards in mind)
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Yes usually it's more efficient to have the kite parked around 45 degrees for upwind.
But there are other things, comfort, apparent wind angle, how the kite feels and steers etc.
Maybe isolating the lift of the foil from the kite lift a little more by keeping them on different axes helps with control depending on the foil, the rider's skill, even how the harness fits. I keep my kite lower sometimes because my waist harness is a little too big, for example. Need to get a new one. Or get fatter...

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm

In theory a low kite should pull you a little more in the upwind direction as the kite describes half a circle from 9 to 3 o clock.
The trade off with lower wind speed, and a board more pulled side ways and not up, make the 45 degree kite position close to the best... I write close since I guess the trade off works different for different kite board and wind conditions combinations..

I fly a royal rush 2012 19m gets me going from 8 or 9 knots on my mako king.. because of the apparent wind and absence of waves it goes fast as soon as it gets me going...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 pm

robertovillate wrote:A few observations/questions/comments come to mind about the video posted by ronnie..

The C2 version of the Cloud has just been released. The 17m weighs 2.74kg. They are generally considered to be powerful for their size, so the 12m or 14.5m would maybe be more suitable for a foil in light winds.

Edge19
Medium Poster
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60

Postby Edge19 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am

Obviously i am bias hence my handle, but i consider the 19m Edge to one of the best. i had a 17m Dyno ltd and flew the 2012 of my bud, but i sold my 17 Dyno for the 19, best thing i done.
ive flown it comfortably at 20mph on a TT and touching on my race board its been out in gusts touching 30mph without drama.
with min 32m lines 10mph and sub is no problem, me weighing 90kg dressed like the day i was born. so plus wet suit n harness thats plus a few more.
i flew it back to back against a FS 21 i had two runs and gave it back to me mate. It turned like an old donkey, to be fair it was probably on short ish lines but never the less. you can keep your FS 21s my 19 ticks all the boxes, light steering, amazing up wind angles, great float, massive wind range, super light weight just hangs in the sky how ever little it blows. It just gives you confidence in light wind, If you don't get it wet your safe.
Every one has there own favorites in brands etc but i can honestly say i cant find any fault at all with an Ozone Edge 19m. if your in the look out for a light wind weapon...... check one out. must use at least 32m lines to unleash its full potential !!! :D :thumb:

Ps also reaching speeds near 30mph with a 19m (on race board) awesome kite
Last edited by Edge19 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 am

Peert wrote:In theory a low kite should pull you a little more in the upwind direction as the kite describes half a circle from 9 to 3 o clock.
The trade off with lower wind speed, and a board more pulled side ways and not up, make the 45 degree kite position close to the best... I write close since I guess the trade off works different for different kite board and wind conditions combinations..

I fly a royal rush 2012 19m gets me going from 8 or 9 knots on my mako king.. because of the apparent wind and absence of waves it goes fast as soon as it gets me going...

Seems like keeping the kite high up takes advantage of better wind higher up.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 am

Edge, 2012 dyno and dyno ltd were disappointments. 2011 dyno was great and i hear the 2013 was a return to greatness.

I had the LTD for a while, but luckily held on to my 2011 18m dyno. Sold the LTD and riding the 2011.

I do want to try the 19m edge, but havent gotten a chance yet. Hoping that the market is flooded with used 19m with the racers moving to the ozone chrono and generally smaller kites for foiling

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 am

The C2 version of the Cloud has just been released. The 17m weighs 2.74kg. They are generally considered to be powerful for their size, so the 12m or 14.5m would maybe be more suitable for a foil in light winds.[/quote]

This past weekend a guy was out on a C2 17 and twin tip in 14-18 mph but gusty winds and he came in and traded down because he said he felt overpowered.

Return to “Hydrofoil”