Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2010 Cabrinha IDS Pro Kit Upgrade - does it work OK?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

2010 Cabrinha IDS Pro Kit Upgrade - does it work OK?

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:11 am

The pro kit allows you to grab an O-shit handle for both front lines.

My question is - The two front lines get wider apart as they get nearer the kite. Does the bar travel up these diverging lines OK? Is there any problem with the lines having enough tension in them to stop the bar going up far enough to operate the IDS?

I expect it does work OK as Cabrinha surely must have proved that is the case, but I just want to make sure.

This is the kit I mean.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 2010 Cabrinha IDS Pro Kit Upgrade - does it work OK?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:37 am

I thought you had to leash your safety to the O-Shit ring, and you lost the IDS...?

I've got one sitting in a bag... don't plan to use it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am

Kamikuza wrote:I thought you had to leash your safety to the O-Shit ring, and you lost the IDS...?

I've got one sitting in a bag... don't plan to use it.
It operates the IDS.
Its a bit like the pre-IDS days - kite leash hanging below the bar. Or you reach up and grab the O-Shit on the front lines.

I reckon I could get it working through the bar and a swivel. Just want to know if the front lines get slack enough as the kite depowers so the rear lines can pull the bar far enough up the fronts.

kassak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kassak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 am

When you set this up you end up removing the the IDS parts since it negates its functionality. Once the pro kit is installed as directed the two front lines come down and terminate above the bar. They travel through a stainless ring which terminates on another larger stainless ring which has a handle on it.

I had one installed but the truth is I could never really reach it so I knew if things got heavy there was no way I was gonna be able to depower the kite so I bagged it.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:47 am

The Pro Kit worked as advertised. By bringing the front lines back to the top of the depower strap, a more direct feel and a quicker responding kit to bar input was achieved.

Remember, this was developed for high end freestyle riders and was designed to be used with the Nomad. Your leash set up was to the depower loop. By pulling on the o-shit loop which was attached to the front lines, you would be accomplishing the same as pushing the QR and activating the IDS.

Although the Pro Kit worked with the SB, if I remember correctly, it didn't work as well as with the Nomad, as the wing tips would flare a bit.

Hope that's helpful...
steve

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 am

experienced1 wrote:The Pro Kit worked as advertised. By bringing the front lines back to the top of the depower strap, a more direct feel and a quicker responding kit to bar input was achieved.

Remember, this was developed for high end freestyle riders and was designed to be used with the Nomad. Your leash set up was to the depower loop. By pulling on the o-shit loop which was attached to the front lines, you would be accomplishing the same as pushing the QR and activating the IDS.

Although the Pro Kit worked with the SB, if I remember correctly, it didn't work as well as with the Nomad, as the wing tips would flare a bit.

Hope that's helpful...
steve
It is helpful Steve.
In fact that's exactly why I asked the question.
The Nomad is a narrower kite so the V is not so wide in the front lines as with a Switchblade.

I'm copying the bridle on my Cloud 17m, but with the sliders allowed to slide more to the centre of the LE like on the IDS. On the German forum, they seem to reckon the Cloud 17 flies better with a low V and I could make the IDS operate through the bar and a swivel, thus keeping the low V but I wanted to know if the tension on the V of the front lines would resist and stop the bar going out to full depower.

I guess the only way is to try. Because the 17 Cloud has no struts, it has much less pull and tension on the front lines than my 13m Xbow has when flagged out on IDS, so I think it may work OK.
It all depends on how fast the tension reduces on the front lines as the kite is sheeted out, and how fast the sliders move to the centre of the kite.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Ronnie:
The stainless sliders on the IDS system basically do not move when you are flying the kite; moving the bar in and out to power/depower. They only travel when the QR is activated.
steve

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm

experienced1 wrote:Ronnie:
The stainless sliders on the IDS system basically do not move when you are flying the kite; moving the bar in and out to power/depower. They only travel when the QR is activated.
steve
Yep. In the last sentence I was talking about when the IDS is being deployed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”