Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot swivel is rusted and frozen

Postby Westozzy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Flight Time wrote:I think any line swivel is of little value anyway because they won't spin with any tension on the lines. The lines will twist before the swivel moves, no matter how nice the swivel. Better to have it on the loop so you can deal directly with the inevitable twists.

Yep!!!

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:09 am

windyway wrote:Any changes to the 2012 Slingshot above-the-bar front line swivel?

On my 3 kites, it takes two hands to turn the swivels. Sometimes they freeze tight.
I started rinsing off the salt and sand, but it was too late to save them.
Rust is dripping out from the China stainless.

Back in 2012, I contacted SS Customer Service.
They told me swivels cost $100,
but they would give me a "special deal" at their cost of $50.
No thanks, I think the truth is more like $14.

So here we have a major brand, who won't stand behind a defective part.
And I just lost a buyer for my used kite, because of it.
slingshot swivel.jpg
Same happened to mine. I tried rubbing a little oil on it to maybe reduce the rate of decay .... but I doubt it'll make any difference.

:cry:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

kitenake wrote:i have 5 spare ones for sale if you want 30 $$ each
$30.... i'm guessing that means ur in us or canada then?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 pm

windyway wrote: ...

So here we have a major brand, who won't stand behind a defective part.
And I just lost a buyer for my used kite, because of it.
I had the slingshot spreader bar with releasable hook ; and Loved it
until
i lost my 15M Ozone sport into a lamp-post, because it Broke. YES, the
leash was attached to the part that broke off.

There was a rusty looking residue surrounding the cracked aria.

And there STILL putting out equipment, that's made with Cheap materials ? Glad i
stopped buying there stuff about 8 years ago !!! HOW do they Stay in business ??

321 kiteboarding, out of Cocoa Beach Florida, sponsored me with my Dynabar V-7
with sliding hook ; it appears to be made from some very High-quality materials.
Will i ever purchase another one , or recommend it to a friend (?)
YES !!

http://www.321kiteboarding.com/NEW-DYNABAR.html

Bille

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Flight Time wrote:I think any line swivel is of little value anyway because they won't spin with any tension on the lines. The lines will twist before the swivel moves, no matter how nice the swivel. Better to have it on the loop so you can deal directly with the inevitable twists.
Actually on my bar (Switch), it just does not work when there is no tension on the lines.
But if you get tension on the lines again, the swivel will automatically spin to untangle one twist and sometimes with even twists.

But the switch bar has both, swivel on the frontlines and one at the loop to do it by hand.
So its a nice extra.

If you get one (or two) spin, it twists automatically, if you get more, you do some by hand.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:20 am

I guess the average person has no idea how bad salt and sand are. You can rinse all you want but you will never get all the sand and salt out. Try WD40 to break it free. In an extreme case ( I don't recommend it because I don't know how they are made ) try boiling it in water. This might completely ruin the swivel though.

I work in a chemical plant and part of a lot of our byproducts are salts. They destroy our pumps and increase corrosion. We are not talking about cheap stainless either. It's all so about $5000 a pump seal every time one goes out and those are the cheap ones.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Westozzy wrote:

Yep!!!

Nope!!! My reasoning is that I do a lot more on one side and not on the other.

Trust me the LF swivel does work and a prof is 3hrs today with 40km in total and enormous number of loops to the right side only. Yep, my stronger side and the shore position.
For sure, no tension no spin. It will untwist itself under tension. Try it...

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:49 pm

That sucks, I fear that if it locks, it may be about to break as well.

My swivel, for the 2011 Rally 14M still works. For maintenance I dip the bar in a bucket of water with a bit of dish soap, after most sessions. I always rinse.

As far as SS support, If I even think that a SS product is faulty, my rep orders a bunch of 'em and replaces gear immediately. And I'm not a big spender.

I guess it depends on your rep?

I put that Rally 14M through some stuff. I returned it after 3 1/2 seasons to my rep, Parguera Water Sports, and he gave me a solid price on my next kite.

I only buy SS kite gear cause it has been super reliable to this point.

Kindest regards,

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:54 am

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic guy - I just had to! :naughty:

A few weeks ago I helped a friend to replace his ceased Slingshot swivel (115$CAD+TX) with the Wainman's equivalent (40$CAD+TX) and it all went pretty smoothly, but being a curious bugger - I have decided to investigate the guts of the ceased one. All it took - was some poking around with a 1/2" drill bit, so here we go:
20151021_170359.jpg
20151021_170453.jpg
20151021_170519.jpg
20151021_171935.jpg
20151021_171858.jpg
20151021_171950.jpg
20151021_171958.jpg
20151021_172005.jpg
20151021_172010.jpg
20151021_172024.jpg
20151021_172043.jpg
All in all there are about 10$ worth of parts by a really-really loooong - Chinese - stretch.

Absolute rubbish from any point of view.

You'd better maintain this sucker if you want it to last any reasonable amount of time.

The morals of Slinghsot charging 100$US for it - that I'm gladly leaving to others to discuss.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 pm

alexeyga wrote:Sorry for resurrecting an old topic guy - I just had to! :naughty:

A few weeks ago I helped a friend to replace his ceased Slingshot swivel (115$CAD+TX) with the Wainman's equivalent (40$CAD+TX) and it all went pretty smoothly, but being a curious bugger - I have decided to investigate the guts of the ceased one. All it took - was some poking around with a 1/2" drill bit, so here we go:
I also replaced my swivel with the Wainman, but it was because I had broken my swivel due to an extreme fuckup (kite came free from anchor, flew away on it's own, snagged on a piling by the swivel which saved my kite but took the brunt of the force). Anyway...

I decided to try the Wainman swivel after reading this thread. It was less expensive and came with some great promise. I didn't find it to be any different, in use, than the SS swivel. Didn't work any better or worse. And with regards your friend's seizing up, if you don't rinse any of those things with fresh water once in a while, that's going to happen. I've had a bar since that SS swivel first came out and it is not rusted and has worked just as well since the day I bought it...which as you know is marginal.

Performance seems to vary part to part for me and is also different based on kite size. Maybe it works better on larger kites because the center lines are spread further and direct more force to unspin it ? I dunno. I have seen a lot of claims in this thread that gave me hope, but after additional research and purchases it seems they are all about the same. I have now found that my favorite bars have the swivel above the bar in addition to a manual swivel below the bar. So when you collect spins up top on an ocean downwinder, it's an easy reach to undo them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”