Favorite Beaches: Panama City Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Nobile and Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: www.emeraldcoastkiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Epic kites review

Postby rushman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I own a small kiteboard shop in Florida. I try to ride every new kite that is available. The economy has affected sales somewhat, but kiteing is so addictive, that riders usually find a way to get the latest and greatest gear. 2013 brought about a lot of small refinements and new products, however, many of the companies have gone up close to $200 in pricing this year. Everyone is looking for the most bang out of their buck, more than ever.
I am a big guy, 6'2" and weigh in at 210. I am always on the search for a kite that delivers low end, pop and great hangtime while still turning on a dime. I do like SOME bar pressure and feel to the kite.
Last weekend, I ran into an old friend of mine in the Keys. Dimitri of EPIC kites was giving a demo out of the OTHER SIDE in Islamorada. I met him at the beach and all he told me was: Rush, try this kite and tell me what you think! The wind was blowing maybe 15 with a few higher gusts. I jumped on this kite, really not expecting much out of it. To my surprise, this kite had great low end and tremendous pull. The bar pressure was near perfect and the shape of the bar felt good too. On the second tack I decided to send it......BIG hangtime! This kite felt like I had been riding it for a year on the first few tacks, which is always a good sign for me!
Dimitri can get a little excited now and then, but now I see why!
I tried to buy the demo kite but settled for just ordering one...life is way too short to ride gear that is just so - so.

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic kites review

Postby ShredThaGnar » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

must have been the screamer. i tried it a couple days before he got to the keys. i was getting massive air and hangtime in about 12 to 18 mph with the screamer 14

fastrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Windmill point
Favorite Beaches: Jockeysridge
Style: Any move that makes my son smile
Gear: Axis 156 and a 139
Dakine harness
Epic renegade 3G 13ltd
Epic renegade 10m proto
Epic infinity v2
Epic 4g bar
Gopro hero
Gopro hero3+
Camrig
Sony playsport
Brand Affiliation: Working on one

Postby fastrider » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:46 am

Hands down as a kite company epic kites has the best customer service.
Im just a customer of epic kites ive had cabrinha and starkites im not what so ever downing any other brand im sure all other brands are good as well im just speaking from a customer stand. If you ever need anything for your kite to get you back in the water asap and dimitri does not have it he will take it off his own personal kites to help get you back out. Plus as anykiter knows some times its a pain to find parts and being epic is a nc local theres always parts near by.
Let me note now i do not ride for them or do i receive any thing from epic im just another satisfied custom that works a 7-3 job at norfolk southern in va and i kite in nc. :thumb: :jump:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:30 pm

which Kite Rush?

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm

There are so many good choices on the market today that it is easy to get stoked on a particular kite! I have been blessed with being able to use so many different kites over the years that I have enjoyed them all. I can only speak on my behalf (nor am I obligated to say anything different) but I have really been impressed with Epic kites. Beyond all the hype that all companies place in their marketing, the true test comes when you actually get to use the product! At that point either the kite lives up to its billings or it doesn't. My first impression was based off the 3G screamer 10m Ltd and I was blown away with how well this kite performed. It was quick turning, stable and only got better when you get dialed into its flying characteristics. By and far not a suitable kite for a rank beginner but perfect for anyone beyond that point. Since than I have spent considerable time on the Judge and really appreciate how stable and easy this kite is to use. The truth of the matter is that all opinions belong to the individual and need to be taken as such.

James

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 pm

soul19 wrote:There are so many good choices on the market today that it is easy to get stoked on a particular kite! I have been blessed with being able to use so many different kites over the years that I have enjoyed them all. I can only speak on my behalf (nor am I obligated to say anything different) but I have really been impressed with Epic kites. Beyond all the hype that all companies place in their marketing, the true test comes when you actually get to use the product! At that point either the kite lives up to its billings or it doesn't. My first impression was based off the 3G screamer 10m Ltd and I was blown away with how well this kite performed. It was quick turning, stable and only got better when you get dialed into its flying characteristics. By and far not a suitable kite for a rank beginner but perfect for anyone beyond that point. Since than I have spent considerable time on the Judge and really appreciate how stable and easy this kite is to use. The truth of the matter is that all opinions belong to the individual and need to be taken as such.

James
Yup exactly, and many kiters (myself included) were disappointed by the so called great customer service of the Epic company and the quality of their kites (which you might experience as well after using your beloved Screamer a little longer).

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey Caesar,

No issues to date with any Epic kite and I hope none to follow. Did you ever find a kite to finally replace the now discontinued Fuse? Take care brother.

James

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Caesar,

No issues to date with any Epic kite and I hope none to follow. Did you ever find a kite to finally replace the now discontinued Fuse? Take care brother.

James
He is going to build his own :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:39 am

Hey Caesar, I guess it eats you alive seeing people having a great time on their EPIC kites and the amazing customer service we are providing. The interesting part is that 98% of these reviews are from plain customers not shop owners or team riders like you were. Whats wrong!!! Are you having problems with your other kite sponsors!!!

Any way, I dedicate to you this picture of me when I was 4 years old in Africa. As you can see from way back I had a dream that one day I would be able to build a kite company with a great product and an amazing customer service.
:thumb:
4 years old Dimitri Maramenides in Africa.jpg

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Caesar,

James
Hi James,

I have four 12m Fuses here and a couple 9 and 10m Fuses (all 2013 models) which will last me for years to come.
:D

No issues at all with them and no- I didn't need North's customer service. That is great Dimitri, isn't it?!

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Return to “Reviews”