Style: Newbie Style
Gear: Naish X3 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need Help! New to kiteboarding

Postby KyletheKiteman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:28 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121296154645?ss ... 1497.l2649

This is the bar/lines I bought. what do you think?
Pictures suck

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:33 pm

KyletheKiteman wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/121296154645?ss ... 1497.l2649

This is the bar/lines I bought. what do you think?
Pictures suck
It just says Recon. If its a Cabrinha Recon bar its not a 2008. But the recon system was part of the kite not the bar so it should be just a regular C-kite style bar.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 pm

KyletheKiteman wrote:I do all the board sports and a good swimmer. I am more concerned about the safety of me and others. Thats why I will get lessons like the majority of you did. I am slightly mad I didnt do my research about the kite I bought but I truely think its pretty unused. I think I will resell and try to buy a modern kite from 11-13 meter kite, because I heard they are the easiest to learn on. What do you guys think? And yes im getting lessons!
I wouldn't stress too much about the older "C" kite you bought as it seems it didn't break the bank for you. What is your weight? What size board do you have? and what is your budget? I ask these questions because based on your board sports / water background here is what will most likely happen after your lessons: you get up on the board and get stoked :jump: , and be immediately hooked on the sport. Now, given that you have an 8m kite, this is going to limit your wind range you can go out in. I would guess the bottom end range of that kite is 15-17kts and top end is 25-27 kts? (Others reading will verify... but will most likely be in that range at 160 lbs / 72KGs body weight and on a standard 133-135 TT board). As you are leaning, its going to really SUCK for you when the winds are less than 17 kts (perhaps even lower than 17) with that 8m kite (assuming standard weight and board size). To really enjoy the sport and get more days on the water/snow (whatever your location) you will eventually need at least 2 (maybe 3... some dudes have 5 or 6+) kites and 2 or 3+ boards. Now... all of that is certainly not cheap! But I learned last year on an 11m Cabrinha Switchblade (Im 170lbs all geared up). Bottom end for me on a 146x45 TT board is about 12knots (13 is more enjoyable bottom end). And Ive used it as high as 20 kts on a 135 TT board. I then found myself sitting on the beach MANY times at my place in Puerto Rico in 10-12 kt light winds. I tried to force my 11m Cab SB on that the low end so many times that I just put unnecessary wear on my kite from multiple drag launch attempts and inevitable crashes. So I went out and got a 17m CORE XR3LW. This increased my rideable days by 35% as now I can go out in 10-13 days on that 17m. As I progress my next investment will be a 8 or 9m for 20+ winds. As you can see... the more you progress the more you will not want the wind speed to dictate if you can enjoy a session or just sit on the beach. Thus, requiring you to get another kite or two and another board or two. The current bottom end of my 17m on my 146x45 TT is about 10kts. To squeeze another knot or two on the bottom end, I got a 154 CrazyFly LW door shape LW board. And my wife is close to divorcing me :lol: You get the point....

I assumed an 11m Kite and 2 boards that gave me 13-18kts range would give me plenty of days to head out. Not true... Had to buy another kite and another board. But Im sure happy I did as like I said... I can get out 35% more days now and deal with my wife less :heartface: . So before you get hooked on the sport just consider the quiver of gear that will eventually be required. Yes, you can find some good second hand stuff, but you never know what that second hand kite (and bar system if you buy them together) has been through (esp the bladder). Boards are what you see is what you get. You seem a lot like I was: Super stoked to try the sport out the right way. it will make you go broke, but at least you'll have fun doing it!

KyletheKiteman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Florida and dirty Jersey

Postby KyletheKiteman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Wow thanks for that summery haha! Yeah I got a super good deal on the kite. I think haha, but I am tight on money right now because I just bought a bmw 325 ix and those cars are money pits. Once I get a chance I will buy a kite with more wind ranges. I dont live on any water, but I do have tons of huge lakes in the area and it seems to never be windy on the lakes so I 'd like to get a lighter wind kite for that. I also havent bought a board yet, because I didn't know what size to get. Im 155 lbs and 6 foot. I'm so excited to get into the sport but I got ways to go before flying.

GregWoj
Medium Poster

Postby GregWoj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Well, if its "never" windy on those tons of lakes, you aren't going to kite no matter the size. At your weight, Will need at least 10kts sustained on a 155 TT door board and 17m LW kite. That's a $2500 set up new (board, bar, kite).

Regarding boards, you will want a 150-155 cm LW "door" style board (LiteWave Wing, CrazyFly Cruiser LW, etc). Good for learning and lowering wind ranges on your kite(s). Also a 133-136 Twin Tip for normal range for your weight. I use a LiteWave Carbon kick 135. Ive been happy with it.

You will also need a harness. I use a Dakine Pyro.

Anyways, I've provided all the knowledge I have on gear and getting started with the sport. Rest is in your hands. Good luck. Stay safe

KyletheKiteman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Florida and dirty Jersey

Postby KyletheKiteman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:53 am

I meant to say that winds aren't usually strong on the lakes, but there is wind haha. Thanks for your help! Cant wait!

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 am

It would be a really good idea to start kiteboarding at an established kite spot with other kiters around. For one thing, you need somebody else to launch your kite. Do not even think about trying to kite solo until you have a few seasons under you belt. It's not as simple as "there's wind and water so I can kite" - there are lots of factors that make a good place for kiteboarding. So go where everybody else goes. And stop buying gear (except a trainer kite) until you have taken at least one full day lesson. Everything you need should be provided for that lesson and then you will better understand what is involved and can even ask the instructor for some suggestions regarding kite and board size, etc.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:37 am

So over complicated....best bit of advice i can give is to completely ignore this guy - gregwoj (no offence, your clearly stoked but chatting shit haha) and do what's been said, take a lesson, chat wiv your instructor who'll be more familiar with your local conditions and tell him your budget. Job done.

GregWoj
Medium Poster

Postby GregWoj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm

sijandy wrote:So over complicated....best bit of advice i can give is to completely ignore this guy - gregwoj (no offence, your clearly stoked but chatting shit haha) and do what's been said, take a lesson, chat wiv your instructor who'll be more familiar with your local conditions and tell him your budget. Job done.
:jump: watch out for those candles and don't buy used bmw's! The best advice for this dude in all honesty :bye:

H53Driver
Medium Poster

Postby H53Driver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:11 pm

sijandy wrote:So over complicated....best bit of advice i can give is to completely ignore this guy - gregwoj
No doubt..........nailed it.........maybe he is the troll after all :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”