Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2014 RPM wind Chart vs 2014 Rally wind Chart

Postby Westozzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 am

I can concur with the above and go further and say this is a certainty. The rally's have a very healthy low end per size. From watching locals and riding them as well ( I like the sneak in a kite or two on this kite every season I really like it).

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction
Been thanked: 0

Postby Manuel V » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:41 am

usa wrote:I flew both, the 2014 Rally and RPM in 12m. The bottom end of the rally is for sure better and you can jump higher and easier in same windspeeds. The 12m Rally is a kite that needs no turning for going early for everybody. On the other hand the RPM is more fun to me, because it´s double as fast, the kite wants to be turned to get going and feels not like a truck, more sporty. Jumping needs better technical skills with the RPM, then it gets fast up and faster down then with the Rally. Barpressure is half as with the Rally, I like that. I would say for going in waves with a 12m kite you need the RPM, the Rally is too slow turning. Another difference is that the Rally has always power on the bar, the RPM can be flown with almost no power in high winds (if you want to).

I do have the 9m also in both versions, but did have no chance to test both in same conditions. Rally 9m is a fun-machine for mega-high jumps and turning very good also for waveboards, but I think high-end will be much less as with a RPM.
Thanks for your comments, so we can think that the low end on the wind charts for the 12M Rally and 12M RPM are not necessary correct.

I had a 2014 Rally 12M and the low end was incredible and have a huge hang time but sale it because the slow turning, I have a 2014 RPM 11M, to substitute the 12M Rally, and the 11M RPM don't have the low end of the Rally 12M but for me is more fun no matter I need to move it more to generate power at the low end zone of the kite. Maybe I would change the 11M for a 12M RPM in the future.
I also have a 2014 9M rally and same as you I like it a lot, I had a 2013 RPM 10M and the 2014 Rally 9M have a similar low end and drift more than the 2013 10M rpm. On the turning speed of the 9M rally vs 10M RPM I would say that the Rally 9M have a very good turning for me they turn very similar but a Rally 9M against a 9M rpm that would be a different story.

For both kites (Rally's and RPM's) high end is not the most important for me, when wind pick up I like to change to a lower size kite. I have a 8M 2012 Rally that I love it, I think I would never sale that kite.

I would like that in the future slingshot change back Rally's to 3 strut design. :thumb:

For me the 2014 RPM's looks a little bigger than 2013 RPM's of the same size.
But maybe I'm wrong.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:45 pm

usa, good feedback on the two kites. thanks a bunch. i'm still a little undecided becasue I do want to have the 12M as my big kite and I like the low end I get. But...ugh, I do wish it turned faster and it sounds like the RPM does. Decisions, Decisions...

One other question since you have flown the 2014 RPMs and I haven't heard a lot of feedback. Do they fly different than other years? The industry feedback was that by going to the sliders instead of pulleys, the kite feels more agile. What feel difference do you notice, if any, between the 2013 and the 2014 RPM?
knotwindy wrote:So is it right that a 10m RPM will have about the same range as a 9m Rally and turn a bit faster? (If both 2014's)
Oh man, those charts are driving me nuts, then! I don’t know what to believe.

I have a 9M Rally I may want to replace with an RPM.
According to the chart…

9M Rally - 15 to 27

9M RPM - 14 to 29
10M RPM - 12 to 26

WTF? I know they are just trying to make a pretty picture so that everything cascades nicely…but, according to the chart the fucking 9 RPM has a wider range than the 9 Rally… ?

usa
Medium Poster

Postby usa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 pm

I haven´t flown Slingshot the years before, so difficult to say the differences (just the Turbine from 2013 and 2014 now). As soon as I can test the 9m RPM I let you know here the differences to the Rally 9m. I flew the Rally 9m, this was really a fun-machine with fast turning.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:00 am

Captain forget the charts and look at kite design.

The delta in the rally will give it a better bottom end (and it has a better bottom end than the equivalent rpm....let's call it obvious useable bottom end). But the delta will give it some limitations to its top end. You can't deny physics.

The C in the rpm will mean it will have around one size less bottom end, but the bridal and sliders on the modern C will give it a good very good useable top end. And the rpm does have this.

Sliders/pulleys ...how can that cause such a significant change, just less wear that's all.

Agreed the charts are strange indeed. Of course the rpm has much lighter steering which allows you to turn the kite quicker and generate speed at the low end easier than the rally, but do you really want to do that? The rally with have a more obvious useable low end per size no matter that the charts say.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:59 am

One other question since you have flown the 2014 RPMs and I haven't heard a lot of feedback. Do they fly different than other years? The industry feedback was that by going to the sliders instead of pulleys, the kite feels more agile. What feel difference do you notice, if any, between the 2013 and the 2014 RPM?

Captain, I had a great talk with Tony Logosz at Surf Expo last year. He told me the main focus on the 2014 RPM was to increase the durability of the trailing edge and how it was a lot more complicated than
just adding material. The basic design and feeling has remained quite constant throughout the model years. Tony went on to talk about how the bridal design is a key factor in the success of the RPM in the hands of a former world champ and how the sliders will refine the feel of the kite.
I had lots of time on the 2014 Rallys since last June and had a quiver of 12-10-8 2013 RPM's last year. The overlap kite was the 10m,I had a Rally and a RPM. I actually liked the Rally better on my surfboard. In the mushy onshore conditions we get I liked the extra grunt that the Rally provided over the RPM. I would say the wind range would be very similar on the top end with the Rally providing a better low end. But...the RPM has such a great turning speed its very easy to develop power with it.
I've had the "here try this" with the 2014 RPM but it was not any multiple sessions. Basically there was no mistaking it was an RPM. To me it felt the same, a very comfortable feeling if you have used them before. If it was between a 2013 Deal and 2014 reg price RPM, 2013 all day long.
As for the 12m RPM, I would pick the Rally 12m as my choice if that was going to be my go to big kite. Unless you plan to be doing a lot of unhooked, Rally IMO in that size will do everything you need in that wind range. Last year I had the 12 RPM in my quiver specifically for a trip to Brazil. Never used it(on that trip),only 10-8,TT and SB.
For me , I never really find the wind charts are anything more than a less than basic guideline to get you set with a size spacing. I can't believe how many knots they say(not just Slingshot) that 75kg rider can go on a given size. He must be good cause this old boy would be getting a smaller kite to haul my fat 86kg ass around!!!
Good Luck

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:09 am

I can't see any way those charts are correct. I'll chat with Slingshot to see if by chance there's a mistake.

For low end power, there's no way the RPM has more than the Rally…IMHO of course.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:39 am

Great insight. Thanks folks! :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 am

Wind charts are just guides not actual wind you may need. I was out in light winds yesterday on my 13m Fuel unhooking and doing tricks while others were out on 17's. I would not worry as much about the wind chart and more about what kites I like more.

P.S. I hate 17's!

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:08 am

Hère is Howard ppeople should de scribe théier kites:

185lbs
RPM 14m 2013
Freestyle setting-light bar, middle knot front, first knot (long) control lines.
Wind speed based on ikitesurf local meter 20 ft high)
Stock bar with 27m lines

10-15 knots with a 42 cm wide boart (BTS custom) and 40cm wide (Core fusion). By riding I mean going where I want and throwing I'll stuff (backs ) and cruising around in holes)

Great upwind
Park and ride
Very stable in gusts (up to 23 knots)
Enough low-end for deep lulls (8 knots)

So for those who tried the 10m... What is your call?

Return to “Kitesurfing”