Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Austin, Texas??

Postby acctx » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 am

To summarize:

Fall/Winter is north frontal winds (can be around 50 degrees, with 55 degree water temps at lake travis). Wind will generally be in the 18-25 range, but as high as 40 a few times a year. Good wind a couple times a week. If you are desperate you can use a light wind kite and get 3-4 sessions a week in. If you dont kite in cold weather, winter will suck for you.

Spring warms the water up as high as 80 degrees. The wind is a south wind 15+ a few times a week.

Corpus is 3.5 hours away and is solid 18+ almost everyday from april-june then sporadically the rest of the year (maybe 2-4 times a week).

We had 3 good days this week( I dont really go out for less than 18). 25-35 north wind (8m), 18 south wind, 20 south wind today and sunday is supposed to be 20 north wind.

Unfortunately because the wind is usually gusty you will end up sailing a much bigger board than you are used to to get through the lulls. Steady 18 is very different than 8-24 averaging 18.

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:08 am

3 to 4 sessions in a week happens a lot less often than you make it seem, and the wind mostly shuts down in the summer. We routinely make 3.5 hr one way trips to get our fix, that should say something about the town.

If you want to progress, you're going to have to be prepared to drive to corpus. It's pretty hard to get really good in this town. We're all trying, but we have yet to produce a phenom.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:37 am

This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time. Thank you SG.

I met a cute girl at a party a year ago and found out she was a windsurfer. I called her a "pole dancer." It didn't work out as well as I hoped.

FWIW, we in Corpus Christi would never drive to Austin to kite, but for Music, cycling, hiking, culture we travel up a few times a year. There is so much the town has to offer. It has outgrown its highways and traffic can be bad. But the summary is you can kite some and it's overall people are happy living there.
Last edited by jakemoore on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:41 am

:happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :party1: :party1: :party1: :party1: :party1: :party1: :tv: :tv: :tv: :tv:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 am

SupaEZ wrote:
Oldnbroken wrote: Sorry you feel that we have betrayed the code by consorting with the evil pole dancers.
Great info splatnkik :thumb:

Not surprised to know that this married pitbull in his mid fifties enjoys a lap dance once in a while
I have an idea what he also does at 1 AM beside KF on his computer when his wife is fast asleep
:naughty: :nono:

Hilarious :lol: What's wrong with a lap dance :?: :?: :?: Especially from a windsurfer :lol: :lol: You really need to get back on your meds. :bye:

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:35 am

splatnikGanglion wrote:3 to 4 sessions in a week happens a lot less often than you make it seem, and the wind mostly shuts down in the summer. We routinely make 3.5 hr one way trips to get our fix, that should say something about the town.

If you want to progress, you're going to have to be prepared to drive to corpus. It's pretty hard to get really good in this town. We're all trying, but we have yet to produce a phenom.

yeah didnt mean to make it sound like that was frequent. We can go weeks with no wind even in the winter and spring

cdakiter
Medium Poster

Postby cdakiter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:19 am

Lololololololol
supacreepy
supanancy
superover reading his dysfunctional posts instigating drama.
Ban him Toby!
14toejam as well
2 of the same it drama lovers it seems.
Get a life yo.
Beat it fools.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:29 pm

jakemoore wrote:This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time. Thank you SG.

I met a cute girl at a party a year ago and found out she was a windsurfer. I called her a "pole dancer." It didn't work out as well as I hoped.
:rollgrin: It worked out very well for me...awesome windsurfer that she was...we married 5 months later
Now after 20 years of bliss we both dance the waves kitesurfing

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:35 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:
Hilarious :lol: What's wrong with a lap dance :?: Especially from a windsurfer :lol: You really need to get back on your meds.
Hilarious reply :rollgrin:
Maybe OlnB can tell me where he gets his for his Attention Deficit Disorder and broken body pain

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:44 pm

OldnbrokenPitbullish wrote: The kid said his family may be moving here, we are providing information and help.
PJ (Splattery Gangbanger) is just griping.
At 22 he is not a kid....he is in his prime to be on his own and select a better place than Austin to kite
PJ not griping but was ripping Austin to shred as an ideal kitesurfing destination

Return to “Kitesurfing”