Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Would you pay for beach access?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Would you pay for beach access?

Postby Laughingman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 pm

saildawg wrote:If you were suddenly told that you had to pay, and wear a plastic wrist band showing you paid, to kite, would you go somewhere else? How many kiters have to do this and (if) where and how much?
Is it just the kiters that are being single out?
Is this public or private ?

william_rx7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby william_rx7 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:13 pm

How many kiters have to do this and (if) where and how much?
We all "pay for the beach". Just because someone singles out an activity, shouldn't mean they have to pay more.

So, uh, to answer your question...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:23 pm

If you get something in return it is ok. Like safer, cleaner etc it is ok.
Or if no other choice to keep access.

Locals who pay taxes which get used for the facility shoud not pay twice.

So, tell us more why they charge?

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:24 pm

I pay $55.00 yearly to the access to the park :thumb:
Otherwise it is $6.00 fee every time for the sun :sun: :dance3:

DrLW

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

$10 per year sticker for our town beach access using any streets if you are a resident
$60 per year for sticker if you are from out of town but reside in the County
All others who park using the streets with beach access that have parking meters pay 0.25c per 10 min.
Well worth it to pay $6 for 4 hrs if you can score a great session :cash: :surf:
$10 for 200 outings is a pretty good bargain for the end of my street :D
Of course free is best :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 pm

kiteboarders are cheap as hell. I don't think it's a big deal to pay $30 a year for a sticker or streamer. They aren't breaking your balls here.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:15 pm

I would have no problem paying 30-50 for a year... they are not offering that to us... 10 bucks a day...
I was going pretty much every night after work and both days on the weekend. that is 300 a month x 6-8 months that is 1800 to 2400 a season for me to go to what Is my right to use. in Ontario I think it is 75' from high water is crown land. which means everyone has the right to use it.

Just something that gets under my skin after growing up here for 45 years and now they just want to take it away . They say the natives want to be more self supportive... They are doing better then me for the most part. I drive a 2004 truck and on the rez that is old. A lot of them are driving way newer cars and trucks, get it delivered to the rez and it is tax free. So on a 50 000 truck they save $6500 that I can not...

Just something that pisses off... I know I have a couple of other spots no one kites.. it is just nice to drive onto the beach with the wife and kids for the day . play in the water , have a pinic, etc

terrie

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:30 pm

tkettlepoint wrote:I would have no problem paying 30-50 for a year... they are not offering that to us... 10 bucks a day...
I was going pretty much every night after work and both days on the weekend. that is 300 a month x 6-8 months that is 1800 to 2400 a season for me to go to what Is my right to use. in Ontario I think it is 75' from high water is crown land. which means everyone has the right to use it.

Just something that gets under my skin after growing up here for 45 years and now they just want to take it away . They say the natives want to be more self supportive... They are doing better then me for the most part. I drive a 2004 truck and on the rez that is old. A lot of them are driving way newer cars and trucks, get it delivered to the rez and it is tax free. So on a 50 000 truck they save $6500 that I can not...

Just something that pisses off... I know I have a couple of other spots no one kites.. it is just nice to drive onto the beach with the wife and kids for the day . play in the water , have a pinic, etc

terrie
Yep it sucks Terrie, but at the same time do you really think they will be maning the booth on the days we want to use it? Also we can park at the west end and kite up to the point. They cannot charge to park in the Conservation areas can they? Maybe we should rent a shack for the season.

Pete

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Pete no they can not... this summer YOU and I can kite from your place to the point with no problem ;)

I think they are going to have gates up that are locked when they are not there... I have a couple of place along there ... one right where we kite, the land owner told me 2 weeks ago just park at his place and walk onto the beach.

Most likely I'll park at center Ipperwash Rd and kite down to the bowl...

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 pm

saildawg wrote:Please, I am looking for information regarding fees paid for access to kite areas and peoples feelings regarding that in their own areas. There is no need to make uninformed comments about me.
Thanks.
Please inform us what your angle is.

Return to “Kitesurfing”