naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Airush Sector V5 or SlayerV2 or Cypher

Postby naishdude » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi just want to get your opinion, if possible
I owned all the AIrush sectors 60 except for the V3.
I purchased a Sector60 V4 with 4 or 3 fin setup, this was after I sold my Sector 60V2.
And I am not that happy with the V4....V2 was a sofa cruiser, compared to the Sector60 V4 that is pretty technical with some advantages in the light compared to the V2..but it is too technical for me, so want to go back.
My use is light wind long distance cruising, I have around 80kg and my biggest kite is a 13m Ozone Edge 2013.
1- I was wondering if somebody has already set foot on the Sector 60 V5 and can compare it to the other Sectors?
2- Slayer V2 should also have changed for sure the V2 in 54 width...would this be an easier board for cruisnig, or is the layout more for freestye tricks and jumping around?
3- How about a cypher for those lightwind conditions, I know a guy who has a Fone fish 5'6 and he goes out in pretty light winds and does some cruisng/touring with it like I do, therefore the AIrush cypher came up in my mind...als an altenative for the Sector60 V4
I have an Airush compact 5'6 and can be out on that with a 9m Switch method from13/14 knots
so maybe with the Cypher I could start from 9/10 knots with my 13m kite?
any comments/advices on that?
thanks
Dude :cool2:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Sector V5 or SlayerV2 or Cypher

Postby davesails7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:55 pm

From Mike Birt in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383948&hilit=sector+v5
I've ridden both the V5 and the Monaro...
New sector 60 V5 is for sure easier and less technical than the V4 and V3. I'd say that they are akin to the V2 in ease of use, but much faster though. Fins are smaller, they are much more stable in carve, and generally much more plug and play.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,

I have the Compact 5'6 and the Cypher 5'8. the Cypher will easily get you 5 knots less with the same kite. I found I had to be fairly powered on the Compact. I love the Cypher.

I have not ridden the Sector V5 or Slayer. I too am interested in the V5 but I know I'll use it just once in awhile and it will be a luxury purchase. I really like the Cypher a lot and it's my go to SB.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:33 am

Thx guy's..
@ davesails...I read the comments on that page but thx for the effort! I was looking for the guy on the beach comments :wink:
@ coloradokiter
what weigth do you have and which kite?
knots less for the 5'8 compared to the 5'6 compact that is a lot, this means that for me the Cypher will go in 9 knots with my 9m, which I have difficulty to believe, ok when you have a 13m on the Cypher than there might be a possibility, but can you hold ground, going upwind with your kite hanging still or do you have to work your kite con,stantly?

anyways, I will have to test the Cypher maybe a 5'10...and test a 5'8 too.

Thx you for your reply
cheers
Dude :cool2:

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Dude,

I weigh 175#. Got a bivy of kites..Right now my biggest is a CORE XR3 15, gets me down to around 10knots with the Cypher, holding ground but easily having fun. The Compact's (2012 model) outline and high rocker robs it of a lot of low end. It was made for down the line, high wind side shore conditions. I use the Cypher 90% of the time, compact only when nuking. Just picked up a FW Vanguard that will replace the Compact, then I hope to use those boards 50/50.

With the Compact I was pretty much always signing the kite to get up wind the Cypher in Quad mode just trucks up wind.

Kites: Airush Waves 7/9/12, Core 15, Naish Ride 9

Return to “Kitesurfing”