Forum for kitesurfers
MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Peter Lynn: Swell Predicted

Postby MonkeyAir » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 am

Have had a bunch more days on the Swell 12 m and can now confidently say it has fantastic grunt, drift, turning, stability,relaunch and range. A great down the line side off wave spot up the coast let me exploit a day of low wind with guys on 17m kites to most switching out to nine meter conditions. As the wind built, just a few adjustments to the de power was all it took to be very comfortable. Great all round wave kite that will get you out earlier than expected. Big grin over here.

KITEADDICTION
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Too many to list and is secret
Style: Waves / freestyle / wakestyle
Gear: Cabrinha , Naish & Gaastra kites
Brand Affiliation: Shop

Postby KITEADDICTION » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:18 am

Totally agree with ced1 the 7m Swell is the bomb!! I am 70kg and this kite works for me from 15-30 knots on a surfboard strappless and jumps buildings when I use my twin tip .

Also only been using the 7m on the short lines 21m works a treat very happy with it .

Have not used the 9m yet but the 12m was just to big for my kg so would recommended 90kg+ riders use the 12m but for me the 7m does 70% of my needs here in Western Australia :D

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

If only I were your weight. The seven sounds like the bomb. Does if feel grunty to get you out of the hole in lulls? Being able to chuck a kite around in the air to generate power quickly is fantastic when you add in initially good grunt production. This is a great characteristic of the 12m. Had a fantastic hour with the great grunt with quick depower when needed in cut backs and drift in head high stuff yesterday arvo on the 12 m. Got a fellow here who just had to have it for his trip to Kaui so am really going to miss it. Wondering what the bottom end of the nine will be for me. A 12, 9 and 7 is still my dream quiver at my weight of between 186 ad 200. Lots of the gang here is in this weight range and with our lighter normal winds and wave focused application, the 12 is the ticket. Maybe they will rename the kite the swell grunt.

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:33 pm

In this video it's a lot of 6m and 7m being used.
Ced

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Nice vid Ced.
Those sizes look very fast as predicted with good pop and range apparently. My three year old would not understand a trade of his preschool money for new kites for dad. Family accounting practices are odd that way.... You have an amazing water playground over there. Was that a white pointer doing a little cameo in your vid?

ced1
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach

Postby ced1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 am

Naaa just a whale ;). Yeah the 6m and 7m, are fast. And I do understand finances, just maybe not family ones… I have a second video which I will post next week which really shows the kite in action with different riders and style.

Longwave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)

Postby Longwave » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:44 am

Hi Monkey Air, do you think that the Swell 12m is the most efficient wave kite around. I heard the RRD Religion 2014 is terrible in the 12m size (never been great in big sizes these kites), I use a Switch Method 11m. I like it, but sometimes not powerful enough. I tried an obsession MKVI in the waves, it's grunty and smooth, but the position in the wind window, drift, reactivity etc... not too good for waves. The Epic Surf 12m seems interesting as well , just not sure if it's grunty enough.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi Longwave.
The RRD obsession is one of my favorite all around kites with great power per size but as you said the turning on the Swell 12 is better, while still providing great grunt and drift and for waves a better pick IMHO. . The obsession has more projected area for power than say the PL escape while the escape turns a bit better. The Swell turns HEAPS better and with inherent grunt and power generation through signing it, produces power more akin to a flatter non wave designed kite. The religion is a great wave kite but not a bottom end power kite as lots of us need for wave sailing in lighter conditions or if you happen to be a heavier guy. Same is true for the new Bandit. Heaps of RRD around here and student with new Fone Bandits. To date, the swell 12m is the best rangy and fast turning wave kite I have tried with the most grunt while maintaing optimal ease of use, relaunch and stability. Dilmitri makes great stuff but is very lucky to be a light fellow. Not sure of power of his new wave specific kite. Odds on it has great depower and turning. No locals here rep or have his new wave kites. Just can't speak to that. So many great kites out there now, you have to be very open minded and focus on what features are most important to you. From your question,with wave sailing down the line with power when needed in mind, I think you will love the swell 12m for the power and grinning with the drift, turning, range and boost. Sure hope to get myself a quiver one day soon. The fellow who got my 12m swell absolutely loves it and uses smaller strapped and unstrapped directionals while weighing in on the 220 pound area. He still gets pretty darn good bottom end even at his weight. Give one a demo.

Longwave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)

Postby Longwave » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks Monkey Air! I have a bunch of kites to demo... just need to check where. The swell is definitely part of the top ones my list anyway .

ced1
Frequent Poster

Postby ced1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Here is one last video of wave riding action in SA featuring the Swell 2014. In this one you can see the kite's behavior with various riders and their different styles in different conditions.

Ced

Return to “Kitesurfing”