Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Folding tips on Flysurfer Speed4 10 - Urgent!

Forum for kitesurfers
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Folding tips on Flysurfer Speed4 10 - Urgent!

Postby Tone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:25 pm

From your vids, it's quite apparent you're quite poor at kite skills. Which probably leans towards not understanding foil kite behavior.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Tone wrote:From your vids, it's quite apparent you're quite poor at kite skills. Which probably leans towards not understanding foil kite behavior.
Yes, I am still trying to figure out how to make the flysurfer to work. Ozone Chrono has a video of showing how to pull the bar left and right several times quickly to prevent the wingtips from folding, I will try that next time to see if it helps.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:26 am

Hawaiis wrote:
Tone wrote:From your vids, it's quite apparent you're quite poor at kite skills. Which probably leans towards not understanding foil kite behavior.
Yes, I am still trying to figure out how to make the flysurfer to work. Ozone Chrono has a video of showing how to pull the bar left and right several times quickly to prevent the wingtips from folding, I will try that next time to see if it helps.
Sorry, what I said was dickish.

If your fs has folding tips then the trim of the kite is out. Have a look for the mixer test to resolve it. It can get worse and really affect the kites performance.

Sorry Hawaiis.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:51 am

IMHO tips will always flap on the Speed3+ due to the Triple Depower's Adaptive Canopy... if the tips are flapping with the bar sheeted in, then something is wrong. Probably, the tip bridle lines have shrunk... you can stretch them out but looking at the other post up there, it looks like there may have been a balls-up in production - contact FSer?

Mixer test seems to be primarily to deal with change in the mixer line lengths and secondarily to give the ability to mess with the shape of the profile. Doing the mixer test will let you tune out the change in the mixer lines until you run out of adjustment - THEN change the mixer lines...

First though, check the tune of your lines.

H53Driver
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby H53Driver » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:29 pm

skydive wrote:I have have adjusted the B-main in different steps from -1 to -4cm with no success.
I measured the Sparepart lines which should be 100cm but they where 96,5 cm.
Lars
Lars, it is normal for the sparepart line and the B bridles to shorten in relation to the A bridles after a period of time. To compensate for this you should lengthen the B-main (try +1cm then +2cm).

If the sparepart and B bridles are shorter then you shorten it further by going negative with B on the mixer adjustment....well this may be the cause of your problem.

Not sure if you have watched Armin's mixer video on Vimeo, it is worth watching but remember that it is based on the Speed 3 ABCZ set up and not the Speed 4 (8/10m) ABZ set up. However, the principles of adjusting the mixer to shape the wing and compensate for shrinkage are the same. Hope this helps you out. R/Mark
http://vimeo.com/9488886

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:04 pm

I had a similar problem on another model and it was one of the internal straps that had snapped of.
I believe it's 3 straps that goes along the bridle connections almost all over the kite. You can follow it from the outside of the kite and if you are not sure if its snapped or not compare to same place on the other half of the wing, or you have to do a visual check inside by get it out by reaching the suspicious part from the air intakes or through the dump valve. It's also possible to pull out a small part of the inside of the kite through the holes into end other trailing edge.

skydive
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby skydive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 am

Hello everybody!

I think (and hope) this issue has been resolved and here follows what we did:

As I wrote in the first post I changed the mixer on B-Main -4cm without any luck.
The kite opened up a bit more but flew with muck less power as the whole kite changes in its characteristics.
The big issue was that the tips folded in, especially when I flew the kite fast without any pressure on the bar.

What we did was that we changed the mixer as it should be (lining up with A,Z&B-main)
Because the tips where folding in we had to "open up" the tips only to prevent them to fold and at the same time keep the original shape of the kite.

First of all we made a double "knot" where br4,br5 & br6 attaches to shorten all these lines.
Second we made a double knot where br4, br6 &br 8 attaches to the kite.

This modification straightened up the wingtips and gave the kite a much better look in the air and it flew specifically better! Now it flies fast, turns fast and has more power.

To really understand what we did ypou can download the line plan here: http://flysurfer.com/support/downloads/

At last: A BIG thanks to Jens here in Sweden for all the support and to all of you who replied and sent med private PMs.

Now, 3 days before raceday I feel stoked!!

// Lars (Happy Camper!)

theodorix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Attici, Athens, Greece
Favorite Beaches: Greek islands
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Cronix, Speed, Psycho, Unity, Viron, Pulse anf flyboards flydoor, flyradical and flysplit
Brand Affiliation: flysurfer.gr
Been thanked: 0

Postby theodorix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:07 am

@Skydive: would you please give a little more explanation on what you mean by a "double knot"? How long these br lines should end up after having made these double knots? Per bridle measurement manual, the length of these lines should actually be: br4=1600mm, br5=1258mm, br6=892mm and br8=462mm. thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”