Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Surface

Forum for kitesurfers
DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Sur

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:45 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Here's a video I took of the Chrono 18 and 15.
Okinawa Kiter wrote:Here's my friend riding a Chrono 18m in 3 knots he weighs about 67kgs. This was just a demo video for his customers
Looks better than FS Speed 2 & 3 similar sizes in similar winds. :thumb:

I've been flying Peter Lynn and Flysurfer brand going back to the legendary Mastair 13 years,
and I have had tested every major light wind kite from proto to final had been developed since then.
I'm 60 Kg and currently have the Speed 3 12m -15m DLX and the 21 meter most used as main quiver.
I live in Miami where you need big kites all year round except during the cold fronts winter time.
Than I can claim I have a lot of experience in light winds and a kind of Super-Vision feeling the light wind.
I learned the kite needs to be light and the projected area needs to be large effective of the canopy,
but there is no replacement for displacement as you know.

So in my humble opinion about your friend riding a "Chrono 18m in 3 knots", to me it is about 5 - 6 knots.
I think that this thing is still flying in a goose fart :!:
And the other one "Testing the 15m Chrono kite board kite in 5 knots", to me it is 5.5 to 7.5 knots.
Anyway... for what it’s worth, it is all just my opinion and trying to figure out
if I should replace my kites to the Speed4 or the Chrono Pros and Cons :?:

DrLW

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:57 am

Since you guys have so much experience I guess you know - especially the para glider friend - a hand held meter rarely reflects true wind speed aloft or a few hundred meters off the beach with any accuracy.
So the question is, why bother claiming the meter reading as the wind speed for the session?
As for the appearance of the water, good enough for Beaufort, good enough for me.
Not to take anything away from the kite, again.
As you said, you knew that claim would draw fire.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:30 am

Calling the Average Foil Joes :)

we would need to see a "back to back" comparison with the SP21 Lotus...

BUT

I "assume" that IF there is a difference in lowend, it will be minimal... and to "test" this minimal difference is almost impossible... biased riders, changing windspeeds, different skills, etc. etc.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:31 am

BWD wrote:Since you guys have so much experience I guess you know - especially the para glider friend - a hand held meter rarely reflects true wind speed aloft or a few hundred meters off the beach with any accuracy.
So the question is, why bother claiming the meter reading as the wind speed for the session?
As for the appearance of the water, good enough for Beaufort, good enough for me.
Not to take anything away from the kite, again.
As you said, you knew that claim would draw fire.
Ah…Ok I'm lying and incapable so is this guy. Claiming he is getting ripped across the beach as well in 3 knots
http://vimeo.com/86586265
And so is this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KtKtUkGXg

I removed my review to avoid any confusion. Please test for yourself as a review doesn't seem to be beneficial.

Bye
Last edited by Okinawa Kiter on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:56 am

hmmm...

in the description of the first video it says:

We all watched in aww as Matt ripped it up in 5 to 9 knots of wind WITH an incoming tide of 5 knots.
The 13M edge did very well on a regular race board but was blown away by the foil kite and board

I am just trying to understand this:
The 12 Chrono worked easily in less than 5 knots, and so did the 13m Edge... (Chrono was better though)...

13m Edge does very well in less than 5 knots?
I do have a 2014 Cab Contra 17, which was very highly rated by the "Average Joes" (comment: "most powerful kite that we tested"), BUT I am far away from getting going in real 5 knots...

The Edge was on a race board and I can't see how heavy that kiter was... for sure, that kiter is more skilled than me... but still... are we talking about the same "knots"?

____

I really don't mean this negative... I was just about to buy a Speed 4 21 and then the Chrono was released, so I am just trying to understand which one has more lowend... But the more I read / see about the Chrono, the more I get a feeling that there is hype / exaggerations (e.g. 13m Edge in less than 5 knots)...

Again, not meant negatively! And please excuse if I misunderstood something!
Last edited by heinzbush on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:59 am

Damn, that 18 turns slow :o

If there's an Ozone dealer in Japan, can I get a demo up here? ;)

I pretty much gave up on listening to wind range claims a long time ago... even assuming people are being 100% honest, the difference in wind meters is pretty horrendous not to mention local conditions. Have a grain of salt ready and don't get upset when people disagree.
Last edited by Kamikuza on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am

BWD. None of us walk around with anemometers on poles.
If the scale commonly used by kiters is the wind meter held up on the beach, well, that is the common metric kiters use.

The common metric said +/- 5 kts.

With a light rider and a 15m kite, there is no arguing this is a very efficient airfoil generating a lot of lift...

As a critique, I suspect it would be a real nightmare in turbulent winds, but I have not ridden one...yet.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 am

Kamikuza wrote:Damn, that 18 turns slow :o

If there's an Ozone dealer in Japan, can I get a demo up here? ;)

I pretty much gave up on listening to wind range claims a long time ago... even assuming people are being 100% honest, the difference in wind meters is pretty horrendous not to mention local conditions. Have a grain of salt ready and don't get upset when people disagree.
Yes call Fumiya san at 090-8840-8609 Speaks English and supper nice guy x-fly.com I believe he'll let you know when and where to try. BTW the in the video he is not turning it fast but it is quick much quicker than S319 LTD similar to my ozone edge 17m Keep in mind the wind is very light. No idea how it compares to the new Speed Lotus maybe similar in turning speed I guess.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:30 am

The Captain wrote:BWD. None of us walk around with anemometers on poles.
If the scale commonly used by kiters is the wind meter held up on the beach, well, that is the common metric kiters use.

The common metric said +/- 5 kts.

With a light rider and a 15m kite, there is no arguing this is a very efficient airfoil generating a lot of lift...

As a critique, I suspect it would be a real nightmare in turbulent winds, but I have not ridden one...yet.
Exactly. That is what I should have said. Phew.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 am

heinzbush wrote:hmmm...

in the description of the first video it says:

We all watched in aww as Matt ripped it up in 5 to 9 knots of wind WITH an incoming tide of 5 knots.
The 13M edge did very well on a regular race board but was blown away by the foil kite and board

I am just trying to understand this:
The 12 Chrono worked easily in less than 5 knots, and so did the 13m Edge... (Chrono was better though)...

13m Edge does very well in less than 5 knots?
I do have a 2014 Cab Contra 17, which was very highly rated by the "Average Joes" (comment: "most powerful kite that we tested"), BUT I am far away from getting going in real 5 knots...

The Edge was on a race board and I can't see how heavy that kiter was... for sure, that kiter is more skilled than me... but still... are we talking about the same "knots"?

____

I really don't mean this negative... I was just about to buy a Speed 4 21 and then the Chrono was released, so I am just trying to understand which one has more lowend... But the more I read / see about the Chrono, the more I get a feeling that there is hype / exaggerations (e.g. 13m Edge in less than 5 knots)...

Again, not meant negatively! And please excuse if I misunderstood something!
I can understand your confusion. On a large race board I think it's possible but can't compare the two. I would keep your contra and use it maybe with a bigger board. No idea about the low end of the speed 4 21m but think you can't go wrong with either. I would say from what I see the flysurfer would last you longer and more durable but you won't jump as high if all things being equal. It would be a coin toss for me. Only thing is maybe the 18 Chono turns faster and jumps higher. Maybe. All I can say is I am very happy with my purchase of the 18m Chrono and never flew anything like it ever. I also baby my foil kites so will not be crashing it into the water much.
Last edited by Okinawa Kiter on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”