Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: old and flabby wants to finally learn to kite

Postby vkngktr » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm

If your going to Hatteras these two schools do a great job:
Outerbankskiting.com
Kitehatteras.net
Both have boats which will get you to the wind and both have excellent reuptations.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:07 pm

SSK wrote:
While I may not love my job I am not keen on being fired just yet.
Sorry, it sounds like you are probably getting into the wrong sport. Getting fired, getting divorced, losing custody of children, missing family obligations, only vacationing in windy places, spending large sums of money on the newest kite gear, hanging out on kite forums, not participating in any activities that could happen on windy days, etc... are just part of the territory. Come on, where is your commitment?
I agree. Sounds best to give it up. Sorry it the reality of kiteboarding.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:04 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
SSK wrote:
While I may not love my job I am not keen on being fired just yet.
Sorry, it sounds like you are probably getting into the wrong sport. Getting fired, getting divorced, losing custody of children, missing family obligations, only vacationing in windy places, spending large sums of money on the newest kite gear, hanging out on kite forums, not participating in any activities that could happen on windy days, etc... are just part of the territory. Come on, where is your commitment?
I agree. Sounds best to give it up. Sorry it the reality of kiteboarding.
Don't forget, arguing to the death about silly points on the internet when there's no wind ;)

Jensb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sylten/pynten

Postby Jensb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:58 am

Start by spending 3-4 days in a cable park - after that you don't have to worry about board control and can focus on the kite.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:06 pm

It grieves me, but I expect my lack of commitment means that my picture will never grace the front pages of kiting magazines, nor will I be featured in best adds surrounded by bikini clad beauties. Hopefully I can glean the best of the suggestions contained herein and over the next couple years advance to the level of mediocre. If all else fails in two years 137 days I will be retiring to a beach somewhere that will be chosen on the basis of good wind, warm temperatures and cheap beer.

On a more serious note neither Sandy or Danny of kitetopia fame has got back to me, does anyone know if they will be teaching a Sherman island this year? Further if they are not does anyone have and recommendations for instructors in that area?

As soon as I post this I will see if I can find a cable park. I assume there is one somewhere in the Bay Area.

Thanks again,
Griz.

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Here's the local cable park
https://wakeislandwatersports.com/

Nat @ Edge Kiteboarding, but he is still in La Ventana
http://www.edgekiteboarding.com/

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:07 pm

sounds like a nice retirement griz. Realistically you want something like 40 total hours on the water to become a raw beginner, 400 hours to intermediate and 4,000 to decent. It sucks when it takes years to put in those first 40 or so hours.

Jensb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sylten/pynten

Postby Jensb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Just be stubborn - think i fit your description - my learning took two years.

My kids started when they were 10&12 - i was 50 - they were jumping over me and doing all kinds of ninja stuff when i was struggeling getting the kite airborn. It just takes time when you are older and do consider consequence.

The cable park and trainer kite (simple 2 liner) did it for me - separate the two learnings.

Good luck from DK - see you one day on that warm, windy beach with cheap beer.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Grizwald wrote:It grieves me, but I expect my lack of commitment means that my picture will never grace the front pages of kiting magazines, nor will I be featured in best adds surrounded by bikini clad beauties. Hopefully I can glean the best of the suggestions contained herein and over the next couple years advance to the level of mediocre. If all else fails in two years 137 days I will be retiring to a beach somewhere that will be chosen on the basis of good wind, warm temperatures and cheap beer.

On a more serious note neither Sandy or Danny of kitetopia fame has got back to me, does anyone know if they will be teaching a Sherman island this year? Further if they are not does anyone have and recommendations for instructors in that area?

As soon as I post this I will see if I can find a cable park. I assume there is one somewhere in the Bay Area.

Thanks again,
Griz.
Despite industry hype designed to promote sales of the latest equipment by convincing you that you must always become more and more technically proficient so that you can awe everyone with your greatness, there are still some kiters who kite for FUN, exercise, peace of mind and the general enjoyment available in ALL the other aspects of kiting, including the entire LEARNING process.

For instance, although it is easy to get a different impression from posters who seem to assume that you won't be enjoying yourself until you reach a certain level of proficiency, such is not necessarily the case. If you enjoy the beach and get satisfaction from seeing yourself constantly "improve", most of the learning process can be GREAT fun. In fact, it is perfectly possible to have a blast practicing on land and bodydragging (especially in surf). Even dealing with spagetti lines and walking back up the beach is probably an improvement over sitting on the couch, let alone most jobs.

My point is that you don't necessarily have to be able to ride around looking like a pro in order to ENJOY kiting (unless you want to kite for attention).

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 pm

nor will I be featured in best adds surrounded by bikini clad beauties
Not necessarily true. You live in the Bay Area, so your chance of becoming a bizillionairre is pretty high. Buy yourself an airlines and you can be old an flabby and still get lots of bikini clad covershots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”