Style: Snowkiting/Kitesurfing
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting and kitesurfing/ Beginner

Postby fermeris » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I am seriously considering starting kiting sport. But I have never done it before. So my question is: Can you snowkite and kiteboard(kitesurfing) in summer with the same kite equipement. :?: If you can, what kind of kites suits the best for this option. May be someone can already suggest kite for this need.

Style:
First I will most definetally start with skis in winter , because I have trained in mountain skiing and it will be more natural for me. And in summer I want to switch to kitesurfing. I have done waterskiing, but I understand that board is much more popular and easier.

Ofcourse I understand that I have to go to proffesional trainer and try it first before I buy my own equipment, but I wanted a bit of info first.

Weather - Well I am from Latvia. We have decent time of both seasons. The beach is quite close, so I will have a lot of practice playground..:D. In winter the target is frozen lakes and plane snowy fields...

About me:
Weight - 150Lbs;
I like to believe that I am quite athletic :D
Skis - no problem/ Snowboard - medium level.

Most important question was - Summer/Winter duo use for one equipment.

Thanks in advance!

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah

Re: Snowkiting and kitesurfing/ Beginner

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi fermeris,
Welcome aboard! If you indeed get into kiting get ready for an amazing hobby.

You certainly can use the same kites and harnesses for both snow and water. I do both as well as landboard and started out using my LEI's (leading edge inflatable) kites for all and a single harness. Over time however I personally have discovered I prefer using multiple types of kites and harnesses based on what I am doing. I usually use depower foils for snow and land boarding and a waist harness on water and seat for everything else. Many others though use LEI's or closed cell foils for everything and are just as happy as I am!

My two cents: buy a 3meter or so trainer kite (such as an HQ Rush or something) that has a bar. Fly that as much as possible before taking lessons-they are pretty affordable and will serve you well for developing kite skills. I still use mine (4 years later) from time to time.

As for process of learning - can't go wrong with lessons for kite surfing!! The kites have a lot of power and there are very critical safety systems and methods/dos and don'ts to mitigate risk.

A kite forum like this is a fantastic place to meet others and get tips/feedback and help. Most on here I'd bet are way more advanced then I am but figured I'd chime in.

fermeris
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic
Style: Snowkiting/Kitesurfing
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby fermeris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:07 pm

This was just what I needed! Thank you for great answer..!

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Awesome - glad you found it helpful. Just as a follow up - since it sounds like you have already been doing all sorts of research you probably already know this but just in case....

kiting is one of those sports you'll quickly discover you never have enough gear :lol: always the thought in my head that I only need one more kite, one more board, one more set of skis one more wetsuit and I'll be finally be completely set...never the case. Have tremendous fun and stay safe!

Jeff

Return to “Snow / Land”