Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Highest Jumping Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Highest Jumping Kite

Postby sarc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:24 pm

F**K anybody but Dimitri I would have thought the pics are photoshopped... but since it's Dimitri.. Respek!!!!!

p.s. The highest jumping kite is the Rebel 2012, you dummies... :allbegood:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Just awesome pictures dimitri!

I hope you join King of the Air next year and show them all how the old boys kick the kids butts ;-)

:thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Take a pick:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:45 pm

That video looks like it was done at Moks and I don't trust hangtime there:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:24 am

Toby wrote:Just awesome pictures dimitri!

I hope you join King of the Air next year and show them all how the old boys kick the kids butts ;-)

:thumb:

Yep :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:12 am

alexrider wrote:The question wasn't "highest LEI jumping kite".
Alex-Not really being absent minded.
I just have no experience jumping any of the three you mention and my post said SOME of the kites that get mentioned over and over in conversation or in magazine reviews.
Foils are kites that are flown by a very small percentage of the overall kiteboarding population these days, so they are not kites that get mentioned over and over again in forums and in magazine reviews.
Unfortunately, most kiters don't pay much attention to foil kites anymore, so they are off most of our radar screens for several reasons.
They are expensive, they are not great for freestyle/wakestyle, they are not winning races on the water, they are not showing up at the King of the Air contests or the major PKRA contests, they are not great surf kites, they are less versatile in my opinion, they are not from companies who sponsor big teams so they do not appeal to your average kite consumer (who tend to be sheep and go for the bigger companies product because they are average consumers and act like average consumers) these days.
So the foils often get left out of these conversations except by the few who remind the rest of us that they still exist.
I do not mean any offense to the folks that still enjoy foil kites for water kiting.
As much as lots of people like to argue about it being the kiter and not the kite, and how it's about how dialed in you get to any kite, or that you occasionally find the perfect ramp and perfect gust, or that it's only the kiters who ride really really lit, or all of the other "one off" reasons that are always given.
...there are still a list of kites that jump really well, under many conditions, for most kiters of various skill levels, on flat or choppy or wavy waters, and that they don't have to be super duper lit, and that don't need a kiter of super skills.
The kites I mentioned are kites that your average schmuck can get great jumps on.
I think that list is usually four or five kite models per year.
....In my opinion....which is only an opinion.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
alexrider wrote:The question wasn't "highest LEI jumping kite".
Alex-Not really being absent minded.
...They are not great for wakestyle, they are not winning races on the water...
Fair enough, for most of your comments. I object however your 2 underlined statements left above.

Re: racing, you must have missed (absent minded after all? ;-)) Johnny Heineken's recent review of the Chrono. Or Christine Bönniger's PKRA 2013 Slalom results:
http://christineboenniger.jimdo.com/

Re: wakestyle, just read the last 3 paragraph of a 2011 review by a hardcore LEI rider:
"Some people could argue that there is too much bar pressure when your un-hooked, not in my opinion. Maybe a little more than my 14m Torch but very relative to its bigger size. But wake style or most 'new school’ kiting styles are inspired by Wake Boarding and Cable Park riding anyways. And if anybody has been Wake Boarding or been to the Cable Park they would know that there is more bar pressure than most kiters can handle. Example: if you can do a back roll on a kite, doing one behind a boat is at least 3 times as hard and painful if not landed.
Not just that but take out a skim board and you’ll have hours of fun! You can un-hook it and just keep doing flat 3's. The kite just keeps floating with you. Or super easy to practice your old school board offs.
Basically I think the only reason people would NOT like a kite that’s loads of fun, even in under 10 knots, re-launches easily, is an up wind machine, has great boost and is great for wake style/new school is that they have not tried one. I love kiting; I mean I really love it. And I love sharing it with people. If I can be out on the water having a blast almost everyday, then I want people to know about this."

http://www.nautikites.net/blog/index.ph ... 928-044222

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:21 am

Dimitri great photos! can you give us an idea of the kite sizes you were using and the wind speed?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 am

Poster: Oldpeople
Dimitri great photos! can you give us an idea of the kite sizes you were using and the wind speed?
Well this is a good question. As you have seen from the pictures and videos, if you are looking for big lofty jumps, then the SCREAMER model is the way to go. Don't take me wrong the RENEGADE is also a great jumping kite, but it does not have the hang time the SCREAMER has. Same thing goes with other kite brands. So most of these big jumps you see are with the SCREAMER models. This is the reason why I came up with the SCREAMER models, so I can go big and do as many tricks as I can while I am up there. But again, it's 70% the kite and 30% the rider. So in few words, you need to learn how to jump that high and use the kite to take you there.

So to answer your question, if it is blowing (12 to 20 knots) I usually use the SCREAMER 14 with my "Droid (135x41cm)" board. But if the wind picks up a little more and don't want to change kites, then I will go and change boards and get a small board such as the "Spartan (129x39cm)" so I can hold more kite.

If it's blowing (17 to 25 knots), I will use the SCREAMER 12 with my "Droid (135x41cm)" board. But if the wind picks up from (20 to 28 knots) and don't want to change to a smaller kite then I will change boards and use the "Spartan (129x39cm)" board.

If it's blowing (20 to 30 knots), I will use the SCREAMER 10 with the "Spartan (129x39cm)" board. But again it all depends what I want to do that day because I could also use the SCREAMER 9 in these conditions.

If it's blowing (22 to 38 knots), I will use the SCREAMER 9 with the "Spartan (129x39cm)" board.

If it's blowing (25 to 45 ++++ knots), I will then be using the SCREAMER 7 with the "Spartan (129x39cm) board.

P.S. But again all these infos I gave you above is for my taste of riding and what I like. Every body is different. You might want to use the SCREAMER 12 in (14 to 20 knots), the SCREAMER 9 in (18 to 27 knots) and the SCREAMER 7 in (20 to 35 knots). It also depends on your weight and what board you will be using, because this has a lot to do with the size of the kite you will be using. So in few words, It's all about what you think you can handle. Same thing with the boards.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 am

Got a 12m screamer on its way...time to lock and load and thank ya mumma for the rabbits (an aussie saying, weird I know). :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”