Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

strapless: hydrofoil vs. raceboard

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

strapless: hydrofoil vs. raceboard

Postby jaros » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:21 pm

I wonder: Why is it possible (and fun) to ride a hydrofoil board strapless, but the raceboard not (at least I have not seen it jet)? I have never been riding a hydrofoil, so this is most probably a stupid question...
Greetings,
Jaros

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: strapless: hydrofoil vs. raceboard

Postby FrederikS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:27 pm

A raceboard should be ridden flat with you over the side for leverage whereas a hydrofoil you stand on top and alter the heel of the board plus the foil.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:37 pm

A raceboard should be ridden flat with you over the side for leverage whereas a hydrofoil you stand on top and alter the heel of the board plus the foil.
How about an older (and smaller) raceboards or modern freerace boards that are not ridden totally flat - does anyone use them without straps? Is it possible, is it fun?
I have an old North LTD (from 2010) i think, but have never tried to use it without straps, maybe I should and try to practise tacks this way, becouse I find it impossible with straps... :(
Jaros

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 pm

jaros wrote:I wonder: Why is it possible (and fun) to ride a hydrofoil board strapless, but the raceboard not (at least I have not seen it jet)? I have never been riding a hydrofoil, so this is most probably a stupid question...
Greetings,
Jaros
A very good question in fact :naughty:

I had absolutely no idea myself either, till I started hydrofoil kitesurfing, and soon found out, when I removed the straps :o

You can not weigh the windward rail down with your feet, like you can on a surfboard, to start.
So you need to hold the board up on its side with one hand, and start before it goes "flat" again.

I remember having taken the straps off my raceboard, to see how strapless would work, at a very early point in my learning process (as this was my dream - to ride on a magic carpet strapless).
Just to find out that either there was a trick I did not know, or it was impossible :o .
When the board is flat on the water, you have no chance of starting.
To raise a raceboard on its side, requires much more effort and longer monkeyarms maybe, and it will not sink in the water either, so much more difficult to start on a raceboard strapless.

With straps, you can push on the strap, and it makes sense to have the foot closer to the edge, as you can still control the board.
Strapless you want to stay almost dead center of the board, so the extra width is worth nothing when up foiling.

Long story short: You CAN ride strapless on raceboards, but why ?
A bit smaller board (not necessarily small, just not huge like some raceboards are), and it is much easier IMO, and you will still be able to start earlier than on a small waveboard or TT.

8) PF

PS: To avoid confusion, ALL boards I talk about here, are foilboards - as I see some confusion might occur otherwise, based on the previous poster.

lander
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 pm

You could also ride a formula raceboard strapless for fun. Buf if you want to go fast you need straps. Both on the raceboard and foilboard.
Beside a nother free feeling (like in waves) strapless has also a benefit for your ankles, as these suffer if you crash bad in the straps on a foil. Since you a high above the water they can get a little twisted before you hit the water. So beside the free feeling I guess also some choose the strapless on a foilboard in order to get a softer impact.

abo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark, Dragør
Gear: North Rebel 2010
Brand Affiliation: Vaavud
Been thanked: 0

Postby abo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm also riding a North LTD 2010. While I have been riding twintips and surfboard without straps I would never really consider rinding the raceboard strapless. I would imagine it would be very difficult to ride it flat/efficient using the fins instead of the edge of the board. Downwind the straps is also useful when you are flying out over the waves :)

I usually step out of the backstrap just before the tack and also loosen the front foot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:49 pm

I am VERY confused about this thread now ?

A classic 3 or 4 fin race or freeraceboard, and a hydrofoil raceboard can not be compared whatsoever.

One is ridden flat, with huge amount of pressure on the fins/straps - the other is NOT ridden flat, and no pressure into the straps, but down (yes, down, not horizontal) through the mast.

They could hardly be more different, and the forces are almost 90 degree from each other.

Jaros, are you asking about strapless raceboards, or strapless hydrofoil raceboards ?

Dont compare anything as they have nothing in common besides the volume, and especially strapless is the differences bigger than in other aspects :rollgrin:

8) PF

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:56 pm

I think it was 70cm raceboards vs. hydrofoil strapless. Maybe I misunderstood too :O

You can just jump on a raceboard strapless but I do not see the point as you cannot hold down any power. You can get it to plane without straps but it would be very slow.

I have the old 2010 North as well and that can be ridden strapless but it is much better to ride it with the three strap config.
Last edited by FrederikS on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 pm

My question was about classic race boards with fins (like North LTD 2010) vs. foilboards... so aples and oranges... :o
I remember that at the beginning of foilboarding everybody tought you need snowboard boots. No one tought It can be even done with straps, but now you guys are riding hydrofoil strapless! So I tought maybe also a race board can be used without straps, but no one have tried it jet.... As I said before - probably a stupid question... :oops:
Why would I want that - to practise tacks. I read on some other post that it is much easier strapless. I should just try and see I guess...
Greetings,
Jaros

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 pm

jaros wrote:My question was about classic race boards with fins (like North LTD 2010) vs. foilboards... so aples and oranges... :o
I remember that at the beginning of foilboarding everybody tought you need snowboard boots. No one tought It can be even done with straps, but now you guys are riding hydrofoil strapless! So I tought maybe also a race board can be used without straps, but no one have tried it jet.... As I said before - probably a stupid question... :oops:
Why would I want that - to practise tacks. I read on some other post that it is much easier strapless. I should just try and see I guess...
Greetings,
Jaros
Aaah, okay, now I understand.

Well, the LTD 2010 is a freeride raceboard in my eyes, because it is so small, and jumps well (fun).
In 2010 it was a raceboard with small fins for the public use, but not anymore when 48cm wide.

No problem riding strapless on that one at all :thumb:

I know several who ride their Sector boards strapless, as their prefer that - and okay as a light wind board this way.
Of course not as fast and they dont plane up on the fins as well as when strapped - but no problem strapless Jaros :D

On the full 70cm or more, raceboards, strapless is also possible, but begins to be troublesome if you ride too fast with big fins - and as said, WHY do it on those ?

On freeride raceboards though, like the LTD 2010, it is a fun way of riding in light wind strapless :rollgrin:

I got an LTD myself I used very often, awesome for light wind and jumping and light wind freestyle and trips, eventhough not ridden once since I started hydrofoiling :roll:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”