Scuba
Medium Poster
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pre pregnated carbon

Postby Scuba » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:47 am

Has anyone used the pre pregnated carbon for mast n fuselage layup or wings layup?
Was thinking of using in my next project it does look nicer to use easy to trim then bake.
No fums or mess.?
Cheers
Scuba
Last edited by Scuba on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Pre pregnated corbon

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:36 am

I think you need an autoclave for prepreg, but not %100 on that. Use epoxy for your layup and you won't have to worry about any fumes. I started using Entropy resins which is a pine based bio-resin and you can practically stick your nose in the bottle and not smell anything.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pre pregnated carbon

Postby Tone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:01 am

Scuba wrote:Has anyone used the pre pregnated carbon for mast n fuselage layup or wings layup?
Was thinking of using in my next project it does look nicer to use easy to trim then bake.
No fums or mess.?
Cheers
Scuba
My understanding is that you still require pressure bit also quite a bit of heat whilst under pressure.

Alpine, Taaroa, kfa etc all use prepreg

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FrederikS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:54 am

There are pre-preg versions which can be cured out of autoclave, but the results are typically not great plus you still need vacuum. Autoclave consolidation is what makes the pre-preg stuff great in terms of fiber volume fraction and low amount of porosities if done right.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am

the stuff you want to you has a high heat cure or it's not worth it... the epoxy I use needs 180 degrees and pregreg that was equal was 380 degrees and the cure cycle was crazy . hope you know how to program the cycle. it steps up to 380 in 5min periods then holds for a hours then steps down to 140 in 5min periods...

do a wet prepreg on a glass table and with reg epoxy and you will get the same end product

just my 2 cents
terrie

I have everything to do prepreg just don't like the high heat... so infusion or wet prepreg it is for me

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

As Franky would say D I Y!
Use a clear plastic sleeve with your carbon and or f glass inbetween. The plastic is not so thin it would rip or tear easy but not so thick as to not be plyable. The plastic covering on new bed matteresses seems to be the correct thickness.
Add epoxy, close, fold the sleeve and use a rounded edge plastic spatula on top of your plasitic to work in the epoxy. About 3 wide inches seems ok.
You will see the carbon go glossy black and f glass go clear, make sure you pass everywhere several times.
Seems to inpreg better if you pull the epoxy with the fiber direction, like 45° for bi bias and 90° for tafata, and one way with uni.
You will know you have a good ratio of epoxy to fabrick when it is JUST fully wets with firm pressure with your spreading tool.
Flip your sleeve and pull the epoxy into the fabrick on this side as well.
You will see that you pull the excess epoxy out to the fabrick edges meaning your ratio is good!
I have done many lay ups like this and seems to work just fine always vac sacking and moderate heat.
Maybe try this on your next lay up. :idea:
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”