A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tburd
Rare Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tuttle box vs. mounting plate

Postby tburd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:11 pm

It seems that most production foils have a flat plate with screw holes for attaching to the board, though some are now mounting with Tuttle boxes. In my mind, the plate style is easier to build strong, and can be attached to a variety of boards. The Tuttle system is simpler, less draggy, but demands higher strength components.

Can anyone verify my assumptions, or further explain the the pros and cons of each approach?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tuttle box vs. mounting plate

Postby cglazier » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Two very experienced board builders that I have talked to recommend and prefer the deep Tuttle construction from their point of view.

But the flat plate is perhaps simpler for homemade designs. Certainly the flat plate is heavier and requires more mounting screws and larger reinforced area in the board.

My guess is that a Tuttle type mount will become standard in the future and the flat plate will be looked back on as rather crude.

Just my guess.

:wink:
CG

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I'd love to get a tuttle one so I could use it on a windsurfer or a kiteboard.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 pm

tuttle is way easier to make then a flat plate if you have molds.

A flat plate has good surface area if the core can handle the load. It has to have a solid core not eps to make it work well.

a tuttle has to have a solid core as well to make it work well. if it doesn't have that it will blow out around the box with your weight hanging on the side of the board.

If you are going to use a tuttle you have to make sure there is at least 1/2" of carbon around the box plus you better make sure the is a good corecell frame around that just to make sure it stays.

Example is all these sectors with boxes that have cracks around them... 5 at my local beach alone. big fins a lot of force on the side boxes start to twist and then a crack shows up.

A little extra in the beginning will save the board in the end..

Just my thoughts
terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:07 am

I have a normal (not deep) Tuttle box on my Spotz foil. It's great to install and for the simplicity of transport.

I think that the sideways pressure on a kiteboard or windsurf fin is much higher than on a foil mast. On the foil you do not push, you stay in equlibrium.

The only advantage that I see for plates is that it's maybe easier to adapt to an existing board.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:24 am

norcom wrote:I'd love to get a tuttle one so I could use it on a windsurfer or a kiteboard.
The forces are probably a bit different on a windsurfer. You can see that the board is kept level and the mast vertical, so it looks to me like there will be more sideways force when windsurfing.

I think there will be a future for a mast with a plate top. Probably a rectangular plate with rounded corners and a 30 degree chamfer around the perimeter, recessed into the board.

Tuttle is better for dismantling and travelling with.

tburd
Rare Poster
Gear: .

Postby tburd » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks guys, sounds like a box is the way to go!
I am inexperienced with board building, but have a lot of composite design time. Any idea which box is typically used in the current boards (or windsurfers)? Online, I'm finding a $60 composite Waterat, or a $10 plastic Chinook option. Either way I'll embed it in an HD foam and c plate sandwich.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:50 pm

lezo wrote:I have a normal (not deep) Tuttle box on my Spotz foil.
My Spotz foil certainly uses a deep Tuttle. For reference here are pictures comparing the standard Tuttle and deep Tuttle. Obviously the deep one is much stronger and is always used with bigger fins or hydrofoils.

[Edit: There are actually even deeper 'deep Tuttle' fins also. The ones shown below and the Spotz are more a medium deep Tuttle]
Attachments
tuttle.2.jpg
tuttle.2.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Last edited by cglazier on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:37 pm

the only thing I don't like about a deep tuttle is you have to build a race board for it to fit in. You need a 2 1/2" thick board . But I guess for the race boys and girls they want that for the downwind leg of a race.

After I make my first foil with a plate, I will make one with a deep tuttle as well and see which I like better.

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 pm

You are correct that a board has to be about 2 1/2 inches thick in the middle to accomodate a deep Tuttle box. But most common kite surf boards are over 2 inches thick anyway.

Ease of transportation is a big factor. I can lay my Spotz foil mast flat on my board in my board bag and it adds very little volume. A plate mast is bulky and harder to pack.

I would not make a purchasing decision solely on this issue, I am just predicting that a Tuttle type box will eventually become the norm. It is lighter, smaller, easier to manufacture, and easier for kiters to use.

Just my opinion.

:wink: CG

Return to “Hydrofoil”