Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Recap of the 2014 Miami Kite Masters

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Recap of the 2014 Miami Kite Masters
mkm 2.jpg
With a forecast of 15-20 knots beautiful blue skies and the most pristine flat water you could lay your eyes on. Riders from all over flew in to Miami, Crandon Park like defending champion “Mowgli” Brandon bowe from the beautiful Cayman Islands. Not to mention one of the biggest showing of youth riders I have seen in sometime. The future generation of our sport is arising. Remember names like James McGrath, Andy Umana, Roman Rose, Jacob Olivier, and Joseph Prieto. Kiteboarding Ambassadors like Shannon Best, Kent Marinkovic, and Toby Braeuer were on hand taking part in this wonderful event.

The day started off with the freestyle portion of the event. Just watching the first two heats you realized the talent was super high in this years 2014 Kite Masters. As the day went on standouts like Andre Bacic “m&m”, Nicolas Biaggi, Leif Christian Given, and Kellen Hall were pushing the field with very technical tricks. As the finals came up riders like Drew Christianson, Niklas Reymann, Chris Bobryk were on fire with consistent and incredibly stylish tricks. Another battle arose two years later to the date, between Brandon bowe and myself. It was a battle for the Freestyle win! Brandon “Mowgli” with his training in the Caymans swinging from trees paid off taking home the win! The women took to the water with style, class, and beauty. It came down to the consistent riding of Cabrinha rider Melissa Gil taking the top spot. Close battle between second and third, Jamie Fields and Svetlana Carroll.

In the masters category the Legend and “mayor” Rich Gardener swept the podium in Freestyle and BorderX race. I interviewed the legend and asked him what it takes to be the best? Simple answer “multiple knee braces, ankle braces, elbow raps, Starbucks and going to bed the night before at 7:30.”

The Boarder X was a hit as riders had to maneuver around buoys and jump obstacles. With tangles, crashes incredibly close finishes. I managed to stay out of trouble and find myself taking home the win! Grateful!

All in all a wonderful event with perfect conditions! Thanks to Christophe Ribot, Brandon Green and Miami Kiteboarding and all the organizers for hosting a great event! Look forward to next year! Kindly, Damo

Final Results 2014 Miami Kite Masters:

Men Freestyle Pro:
1st Brandon Bowe “Cabrinha”
2nd Damien LeRoy “Cabrinha”
3rd Chris Bobryk “Best”

Men Boarder X Pro:
1st: Damien LeRoy “Cabrinha”
2nd: Martin “Naish
3rd: Brian Kamilar “Cabrinha”

Women Freestyle Pro:
1st: Melissa Gil “Cabrinha”
2nd Jamie Fields “North”