Strutless Travel Quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
Pogibro
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strutless Travel Quiver

Postby Pogibro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 am

I am thinking about putting together a new quiver of kites for travel. Am intrigued with the small pack down size of the new strutless kites. Does anybody have any hands on experience now of these kites in the small sizes? Thanx...

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Re: Strutless Travel Quiver

Postby Aummm » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am

Pogibro wrote:I am thinking about putting together a new quiver of kites for travel. Am intrigued with the small pack down size of the new strutless kites. Does anybody have any hands on experience now of these kites in the small sizes? Thanx...
I would rather invest in foil kites 2 quiver, in stead of 3 or 4 strutless to cover the same range, which will give you
the benefit of smaller pack down, better range, bigger boost and hang time and without the need of a pump :nono: :pump:

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Aummm wrote:
Pogibro wrote:I am thinking about putting together a new quiver of kites for travel. Am intrigued with the small pack down size of the new strutless kites. Does anybody have any hands on experience now of these kites in the small sizes? Thanx...
I would rather invest in foil kites 2 quiver, in stead of 3 or 4 strutless to cover the same range, which will give you
the benefit of smaller pack down, better range, bigger boost and hang time and without the need of a pump :nono: :pump:
Agree, plus no chance of a blown bladder or ripped canopy. I have a Speed 4 12m and Chrono 18m for travel. Depending on where you are going you could probably get away with 1 kite as the range is about 15+ knots on the foils. Easy to self launch and land too. I like my inflatos too just don't want all the luggage when travelling. :D

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Clouds have pretty good range, we really enjoyed the 12m. The new C2 kites have pretty good range to them.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 am

The strutless kites are awesome...also for travel. Actually the strutless I have tried are great kites as they are (Naish Trip and BRM Cloud). That they pack up small is just a bonus its a good bonus but all the same.
I own a BRM 8 and have tried the Naish Trip.
Because I like waves they would be my preferred travel kites for sure.

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 am

Thanks for the replies...

Taut... Like you, my focus is on wave riding. The only strutless that I have ridden is the C1-17 meter. An amazing kite, but gets to be a real handful as the wind approaches 20 mph. Otherwise... loved it! Maybe the new bridle configuration has smoothed that out.
I don't know anyone who has even seen a Naish Trip. Would you be willing to offer any "first look" observations on Trip vs Cloud C2?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

I flew the liquid force solo two days ago I need to fly a cloud now so I can compare. it's weird how the wind spills out the sides on a turn. no yank on the megaloop! prolly great as a wave kite for that reason you won't get pulled off your turn.

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 am

Today I found something new about my Cloud that I REALLY loved. I have tried packing kites in SPACE BAGS in the past but gave up because I was afraid that pulleys could damage the fabrics. The thing is, the C2 briddles has NO METAL OU SOLID PARTS. Now I can use space bags again. Extra careful people like me may remove the valves before packing. See the results:
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (121.02 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (90.3 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (117.45 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am

diogovilla wrote:
Today I found something new about my Cloud that I REALLY loved. I have tried packing kites in SPACE BAGS in the past but gave up because I was afraid that pulleys could damage the fabrics. The thing is, the C2 briddles has NO METAL OU SOLID PARTS. Now I can use space bags again. Extra careful people like me may remove the valves before packing. See the results:
Forgot to tell: this is a 17 Cloud.

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:48 pm

That is an amazingly small package for a 17 meter. THank you for posting that. I think I'm sold.

Return to “Kitesurfing”