DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Next Gen Ocean Rodeo Kites - Prodigy, Razor & Flite Upda

Postby DRAZ » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 pm

What refinements have been made to the Prodigy and Razor for 2014?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 pm

matth wrote:Did they put the venturi system in? looks like maybe on Razor only.
Nope, we removed the Venturi system from this kite. The logic for this is simple, we allow advanced riders to over sheet the Razor to get a larger wind range from the kite for their needs. The Prodigy and the Flite were both built from the start to be very difficult to stall and not designed to be over sheeted and therefore no need for the Venturi on this design.
AGK wrote:I'm also really interested in the new 17 Flite -- I have OR Prodigies and really like them, and this looks like a similar design.
Astute observation. We found last season that the 14m Prodigy did quite well in marginal winds and used this as the basis for the new Flite's design. We then incorporated some light wind specific changes and the newer, lighter materials and the result was what we feel is truly the world's first high performance light wind kite.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 am

ORSales - What is the weight of the 17m? 28% less than last year doesn't really mean anything.

The Flight looks like a higher aspect ratio kite this year. Do you know what the aspect ratio was on this year's kite and what the new kite is?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:13 am

4.7kg I got on the bathroom scales, for the 2013 model with 4 struts...

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Kamikuza wrote:4.7kg I got on the bathroom scales, for the 2013 model with 4 struts...
We will have them hopefully here in a week or so, and we can do a full on review. I can tell you though this new Flite flies in very little wind, and has very good low end.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Kamikuza wrote:4.7kg I got on the bathroom scales, for the 2013 model with 4 struts...
That's means the 2014 17m should be around 3.384kg.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am

OceanAdventures wrote:We will have them hopefully here in a week or so, and we can do a full on review. I can tell you though this new Flite flies in very little wind, and has very good low end.
Well - clearly the kites arrived as we just found this review by Phil from XL Houston out in the wild - No doubt about it, this review is a beauty, eh!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 am

Here is the official rundown on the Flite, Razor, Prodigy, Storm, and React 2m.

Enough PK content here for everyone to open that retail store they have been dreaming of!

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 am

First impressions on the next gen 8m Razor -

I've been riding OR for 4 years now, and the Razor for 3 of those years. I've ridden every generation of the Razor, although my 8m was the first gen, so it was time for an update. I also went with the new Freestyle Bar. Here goes:

- Build Quality: OR's quality improves incrementally each year, and this year is no exception. The kite's graphics are my favorite so far, they updated the strut to LE connection which is much needed. The new style are sealed off better, whilst the old style were a bit more exposed.

With regard to the Freestyle Bar, this is a major improvement over the old bar, the center hole has been upgraded and doesn't look to wear like the ones in year's path. The bar itself is much like last year but with added grip. The depower trim works really well, I'll probably stick with this bar/lines going forward.

Kite Handling: My first gen 8m was a great kite, but did not handle gusty wind well. This kite is much improved, I was in 15 - 30 knot shifty winds and it did a far better job soaking up the winds. The kite flies forward in the wind window and is super agile. The biggest improvement I saw was that the kite was less jerky and overall smoother.

Kiteloops: Huge improvement over my first gen Razor. Again, it shouldn't be a big surprise since I had the first evolution of the kite, and this is the fourth. I've been on a surfboard most of the time so far on the kite, and it downloops with power and speed, and incredibly smoothly.

Boost: Haven't had great conditions to judge this yet, will update this post when I get a few more sessions, I've had mostly surf sessions so far.

Power: Haven't had a chance to test the low end, but no issues with the high end. I had no issues with 30 knots.

I'll update this post as I get more sessions, but initial thoughts are very positive about this kite. The improvements in stability and looping make it a great upgrade over my previous 8m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”