Forum for kitesurfers
Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

European vs American kite culture

Postby Krazedkiter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:17 am

It seems to me that the Europeans are all into these kite resort type vacations where they spend 3-4 weeks at some kite club in some far off Country and are willing to spend their entire years savings on a kite trip. They like all inclusive resorts with beach boys and kite launchers and rescue boats and Bon fires at nite with bottles of wine and lots of social interaction.

Americans seem to be more hardcore and want multiple cheap no frills kite adventures with a couple of cases of Beer and cheap lodging with room sharing and kite all day and drink and eat all nite and do it again the next day mentality. We could care less for beach boys and kite launchers and dont need kite club staff to cater to all our needs. Then drive back at 2 am Sunday nite to make it back to work by Monday AM.

Not bashing either side, just an interesting observation from two different kite cultures. This is just my impression and maybe I have it wrong since I haven been to any overseas kite clubs. Is this how it is and if so why the difference in kite culture do you think?

Just saying'

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: European vs American kite culture

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:37 am

this would rather be young vs old.

Don't see a difference in EU or USA

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:10 am

...and aussie just sleep in their swags and hunt kangaroos with their boomerangs for dinner...

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 am

It is not kite culture is continent culture .
we work for living you live for working!
we like stay 20 days or more with friends and all amenities!
US ctz do not do it ,cannot do it ,do not have the thought of doing it .
in terms of living you are bodydragging while we are facing hawaian jaws.
time is needed maybe 2 or 3000 years of history !
better talk of kiting !
ciao
ps. do not get me wrong ,it is not an offense ,you come from 200 years ,we are much older and have been taught from time to time what to do!

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

Like Toby said, no difference US - Europe, if anything, it boils down to Country mentalities.

But the cut young/old, or Kiting with Family / Without, would be much better

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 am

wrong! there is enormous difference between europeans and americans.
we can do it while they can't!
in fact does not exist ,never seen ,a group of young americans togheter in vacations for one month!
they can do it when retired ,all togheter in a coach with a guide after hole life forced to be monday morning early ready ,perfect ,on time at work.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 am

Krazedkiter wrote:It seems to me that the Europeans are all into these kite resort type vacations where they spend 3-4 weeks at some kite club in some far off Country and are willing to spend their entire years savings on a kite trip. They like all inclusive resorts with beach boys and kite launchers and rescue boats and Bon fires at nite with bottles of wine and lots of social interaction.

Americans seem to be more hardcore and want multiple cheap no frills kite adventures with a couple of cases of Beer and cheap lodging with room sharing and kite all day and drink and eat all nite and do it again the next day mentality. We could care less for beach boys and kite launchers and dont need kite club staff to cater to all our needs. Then drive back at 2 am Sunday nite to make it back to work by Monday AM.

Not bashing either side, just an interesting observation from two different kite cultures. This is just my impression and maybe I have it wrong since I haven been to any overseas kite clubs. Is this how it is and if so why the difference in kite culture do you think?

Just saying'
So, lets get this right. You've not been to any of these so called 'kite clubs', but yet you seem to voice an opinion from your 'knowledge'?
Are you one of these people that when you overthink things it becomes the truth?

I can't work out if you are Trolling or not :-? :lol:

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:54 am

I'm from USA. But the European way sounds like the way to go! But, then again, I'm old, so maybe it's just the young versus old attitude towards life. If only I had a group of friends to get together and go someplace cool to hang out, enjoy kiting and nice wine by a bonfire in the evening, sleep well and get up the next day to do it again. But not many of my friends kite so I'm pretty much a solo kiter. Sure there are always a few people at the beach I frequent to help land the kite, but I guess we Americans are too busy working or doing individualistic pursuits to organize a group trip.

paulie
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby paulie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 pm

As a citizen of the Untied European Confederation and a kite boarder for the last 12 years I have done numerous trips. Some involving kite boys and others where I have gone it alone...

To be honest, I prefer just having a base and some transport to drive about, explore and find the best spots. But there is something also quite pleasant about rolling out of bed and walking 2 mins to a kite pumped up and ready launch. Considering I am happy to drive 100's of miles to the best conditions when at home it makes a nice relaxing change.

Not sure that it has anything to do with my Continent of origin though...

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm

right johhnn,correct that's it

Return to “Kitesurfing”