Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook, NJ
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Kite Rider

Postby Touche » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:29 am

Hi all completely new to the sport and only started up on a 1.4m HQ Symphony kite a friend gave to me for free to get a feel of it all.

After about 8 hours of practicing control I realized that this kite is much too small for me to jump straight into a big kite so I've been looking at 3-4m kites. I'll probably want to get a 3 line kite? As I might be practicing solo most of the time so I'd like an easy self launch. I'd be using this kite for scudding and a bit of body dragging on a board or kayak.

I live in New Jersey and am trying to buy locally or online. I haven't seen anything on craigslist so I suppose any online site will do at this point. I was just wondering if anyone could help recommend some kites as there seem to be a lot to choose from.

One more thing is in my search for a kite I found a board for sale. A Nobile NBL Kite Board hardly used @ $150, 142 x 42. I know I won't be using it for some time but is this too good of a deal to pass up to invest for the future once I start riding in the water?

By the way I'm 26 yrs old @ 195-200 lbs.

Thanks for any info!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New Kite Rider

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:00 am

The board sounds like a great deal.
Good board too, and good for your weight!

But, do take lessons. Hospital is way more expensive!!!

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:27 am

Toby wrote:The board sounds like a great deal.

I'll definitely be taking lessons before touching anything larger than a training kite. I figure I could wrestle with a bit more power without getting any lift on a 3m kite. I'll probably wait till June-July and take a 3-5 hour session that goes into the water. Until then you think I can handle using a 3m kite doing figure 8's testing out power and maybe sit in a kayak testing drag?

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Touche wrote:
Toby wrote:The board sounds like a great deal.

I'll definitely be taking lessons before touching anything larger than a training kite. I figure I could wrestle with a bit more power without getting any lift on a 3m kite. I'll probably wait till June-July and take a 3-5 hour session that goes into the water. Until then you think I can handle using a 3m kite doing figure 8's testing out power and maybe sit in a kayak testing drag?

You have the right attitude. Master a trainer before you take lessons. You should be able to fly it blind.

I have an HQ 350 trainer. In 18+ kts wind I can haul ass on a mountain board. Once you are good enough to not crash it, you can body drag and even board start on a surfboard. If you do put it in the water (I don't have the hydra, just regular foil), it is down for the count. Supposedly you can even modify these to depower.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:03 pm

I started out with a Naish Xeon trainer kite before I took lessons and then went straight to flying the real thing. Personally, I feel that 2 line trainer kites are good for understanding the wind window but are not very good for learning how to fly a real kite. Ocean Rodeo has a really cool 2m trainer kite that has 4 lines and is inflatable - the React. It even comes with it's own harness:
http://oceanrodeo.com/products/react

That thing seems like the perfect way to get really good at kite flying (which is 80% + of kiteboarding) before taking lessons and flying full size kites. The only drawback is the price, about $400. It's probably worth every penny though and you could sell it later to get some of the money back.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:I started out with a Naish Xeon trainer kite before I took lessons and then went straight to flying the real thing. Personally, I feel that 2 line trainer kites are good for understanding the wind window but are not very good for learning how to fly a real kite. Ocean Rodeo has a really cool 2m trainer kite that has 4 lines and is inflatable - the React. It even comes with it's own harness:
http://oceanrodeo.com/products/react

That thing seems like the perfect way to get really good at kite flying (which is 80% + of kiteboarding) before taking lessons and flying full size kites. The only drawback is the price, about $400. It's probably worth every penny though and you could sell it later to get some of the money back.
I do agree on this: a two (or three) line is a very different beast than a depower. I do, however, still fly my trainer regularly, and it's good for getting people fixed by letting them play with it and a mountain board in lower winds (so they can't get going fast enough to get hurt)

But this is why I was saying that I've seen small 3 line foils converted to depower. I'm not sure what it takes to modify the bridle but I've seen it done.

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 am

So depower are the 4 line kites? All the different line kites still use the same horizontal bar right? I've seen some kites with two smaller vertical bars.

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Ok so after reading a lot I've gathered that learning on a 4 line is better but the price seems a bit high. Perhaps I would go after a Hydra 350? The 4-line Rodeo seems really cool but at my size perhaps a 3-4m is more appropriate?

My plan is to use this trainer a lot then take lessons here and there then step up to a bigger kite in the water.

Another reason why I'm being picky about this trainer kite is that I would probably use it in the future on a kayak as my friends tend to plan a lot of kayak/camping trips so it would be fun to mess around with. I also have am pretty surprised to find barely if no used trainer kites for sale anywhere.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:16 pm

If you're interested, I have an HQ Hydra II 420 (4.52m open cell ram foil) for sale for $300 shipped. I have a high Paypal rating altho new to this forum.

The kite has seen about 10 uses and is in great shape. I was teaching a friend on it two weeks ago to lure him into KSing and he was loving it.

Comes with an instructional DVD plus I can answer questions you may have. PM me if you'd like to know more.

In theory, if you knew for sure what kites you were going to buy I would suggest buying the 5m version of ot as trainer. In practice, kites can change a lot year to year and it's hard to predict what you will end up buying. If you buy a trainer and learn on it for 3-4 sessions, it will save you a lot off lessons altho be aware you only get limited value out of the trainer since you only need it 4-5 times max before it's pointless. Still, at $100/hr for 5 hours of lessons the trainer pays for itself and you can sell it or lure in friends to kitesurf with.

The larger trainer will let you practice body dragging; even if you go elsewhere, look at 4-5m kites.

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:45 pm

I actually found a website that offers modding services for 3-line to a depower line setup. They actually have a Hydra 300 remodeled to a depower for sale. Not sure if I could post as it may seem like advertising.
dracop wrote:If you're interested, I have an HQ Hydra II 420 (4.52m open cell ram foil) for sale for $300 shipped. I have a high Paypal rating altho new to this forum.

The kite has seen about 10 uses and is in great shape. I was teaching a friend on it two weeks ago to lure him into KSing and he was loving it.

Comes with an instructional DVD plus I can answer questions you may have. PM me if you'd like to know more.

In theory, if you knew for sure what kites you were going to buy I would suggest buying the 5m version of ot as trainer. In practice, kites can change a lot year to year and it's hard to predict what you will end up buying. If you buy a trainer and learn on it for 3-4 sessions, it will save you a lot off lessons altho be aware you only get limited value out of the trainer since you only need it 4-5 times max before it's pointless. Still, at $100/hr for 5 hours of lessons the trainer pays for itself and you can sell it or lure in friends to kitesurf with.

The larger trainer will let you practice body dragging; even if you go elsewhere, look at 4-5m kites.
Check your PM.

Return to “Kitesurfing”