Forum for kitesurfers
kitenb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Skater or Global

Postby kitenb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks everyone... well, I went ahead and ordered the 5'4 Skater. I want to get better at strapless riding anyway, and figured I could use the extra low end for the days I am out. Gonna save up my money and possibly get the Global 5'8 in another month or so... Then, I should be all set.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:58 pm

kitenb wrote:Thanks everyone... well, I went ahead and ordered the 5'4 Skater. I want to get better at strapless riding anyway, and figured I could use the extra low end for the days I am out. Gonna save up my money and possibly get the Global 5'8 in another month or so... Then, I should be all set.
That is awesome. Just know that I don't know how many times Ive said only that board too and ill be all set) :) once my skill changes... it is super fun either way.
Having a skater and global will cover just about any condition. The 5'4 is magic Imo.

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:54 am

I'm curious what the little 4'8 Skater would be like for a 180# kiter.
I now have a 5'8 2010 Naish Fish.
The shape of the 5'9" Skater looks more like that year, Fish.
Ya think the 4'8" would be a fun board in the swell at the Gorge?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 am

Marty wrote:I'm curious what the little 4'8 Skater would be like for a 180# kiter.
I now have a 5'8 2010 Naish Fish.
The shape of the 5'9" Skater looks more like that year, Fish.
Ya think the 4'8" would be a fun board in the swell at the Gorge?

I dunno what swell you have in the Gorge...but I am 190+ (ugh) The board is super fun, in anything upto about headhigh. I've had it out in bigger, but if the wave is super fast it is a little harder to ride. That said, it feels like a little skateboard. I loved the fish in 2011, but the skater is light years ahead of the 2010 fish for sure. It is a very different board though.
You do need some power, but it does work in surprisingly light conditions...I see they stopped producing it for 2013, so mine is a keep for sure.

casesx
Rare Poster

Postby casesx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Last year my favorite board was the 5'5" trespass too, I also replaced finboxes … Due to an injury I had to start kiting strapless. I thought the trespass was too narrow so I also got a 5'4" skater. Since I had the skater I have not used anything else! It works in light winds and high winds (155lbs 9m and 6m Rally) . I have to use it when it is choppy and it even works then, although it is hard work without straps. All in all: the 5'4" skater is awesome! Since I am so happy with the 5'4" I am considering getting a 4'8" for travel since it fits in a golf bag. TT, does the smallest skater still feel like a surfboard or is it more like a skim? What is the difference in ride between the 2, does it work as early as the 54, does it work in high winds? Enjoy your Skater!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 pm

casesx wrote:Last year my favorite board was the 5'5" trespass too, I also replaced finboxes … Due to an injury I had to start kiting strapless. I thought the trespass was too narrow so I also got a 5'4" skater. Since I had the skater I have not used anything else! It works in light winds and high winds (155lbs 9m and 6m Rally) . I have to use it when it is choppy and it even works then, although it is hard work without straps. All in all: the 5'4" skater is awesome! Since I am so happy with the 5'4" I am considering getting a 4'8" for travel since it fits in a golf bag. TT, does the smallest skater still feel like a surfboard or is it more like a skim? What is the difference in ride between the 2, does it work as early as the 54, does it work in high winds? Enjoy your Skater!
More like a surfboard, kind of like a skateboard actually. It does work in high winds, but the 5'4'' will go a little earlier in light winds.

The 4'8'' feels looser, and not as surfy on more solid waves, but there is more than enough surf DNA in that board. Works great until you get super high speed on your board :-)

Also throws a nice spray off the top :-)

emme
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Lignano
Style: Wakestile or Wave

Postby emme » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

hello, I am a kitesurfer for a long time, several years use 5.7 with Global strap, now I have an entire vacation of 15 days without strap! and I loved it! strapless I began to find some flaw to my Naish Global. Strapless and everything slower and less aggressimo but very stilloso, and I'm thinking of buying a Naish Skater because it guarantees more lowend due to the greater width and the lower scooprocker. I weigh 150 pounds and use Naish Park 6-9 -12 of 2012, in my spot by the sea the wind is usually higher than 15-20 knots until 30 knots with small onshore waves and i use Global 5.7! At the lake with chop at least the wind is 15 knots, and usually use Park 9 with twin tip 130x41 cm. Do you think I'd better shopping Skater 5.9 or 5.4? now can find the 5.9 used in both 2012 or 2013 And i can find 5.4 new not sold on either of the 2012 or 2013? all for the same price!
If the 5.4 not have been sold had it take to get the 5.9 still has to be better? But I think about my weight and strong wind, however, is easier to keep the 5.4 being used to tight Global?

By, thanks!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 pm

So I think the 2013 Skater is way better than the 2012. They changed the nose quite a bit on the board. It is a tad more aggressive in the 2013, but still good for low end.

I weight more than you and use the 5'4'' because it is easier to do tricks on.
If you are looking for low end though the 5'9'' might be a better option, but it will be bumpy for you on high winds. I think your plan sounds good to me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”