Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Jump to slow down when over powered.

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

For a start.

This is a discussion for advanced riders who are comfortable with high winds and jumping.
Don't try this at home if you are still learning to jump and are not comfortable with high winds.

So lets presume that you are so over powered with your bar out fully and still speeding up and you can no longer edge effectively. The cranking hard upwind ship has sailed and you now need to control the situation.

You can butt check, crash, turn down wind and try and shed some power or punch to safety.

The technique that i enjoy the most is to simply throw a jump. You don't jump like normal. IE load and pop bar in for max height. You send the kite just behind you with the bar still out and just skim off the water. It sends you into a low downwind jump. You can then glide along above the water slowing down. Hold the kite back more than normal and redirect for a very slow landing.

Who else uses this technique or a variation off it?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Jump to slow down when over powered.

Postby BWD » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Have done it, it can work.
But usually I stay on the surface if concerned with being overpowered.
I have a board with a decent continuous rocker, maybe 4.5-5cm, that gives me lots of options.
Edge hard and hand drag to get the kite way forward works.
Butt drag can work but can also just turn into skidding to a bouncy stop.
Hand drag you can apply drag more gradually, keeping control.
If the water is flat or flattish, I can more or less ride the board sideways for a few seconds, takes me downwind some and under the kite but not all at once, this is riskier for edge tripping if choppy though.
With a little foresight though, lately my favorite way to bleed off speed (and also distance to leeward) is to spot a chop and slide to toeside on it as if planning a transition, but just let the kite drift up as you ride along a bit more inefficiently than normal. Slowing down too much? Complete the transition. Seeing lots of chop faces? Pretend you're going "down the line" on them, carve a bit. Can be kind of fun. Might suit you depending on your board.
But of course it's for when you are not already about to blow up.
When really on/over the edge of a death run though, it's either jump, like you wrote, grab some water with your hand or "have a seat," I think.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:14 pm

i feel like trying to do a low jump like this would take you much farther downwind than just riding straight downwind for half a second. i usually just butt check and skid along the surface for 20 meters or so until i am in control again

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Jumping can work, but the results can be sketchy (or if you get it right…HUGE :o ), I usually hand drag and/or do a fast downwind gybe, as with the kite relatively high & sheeted out, I can usually regain control far more quickly - to reiterate, this is definitely not for beginners and if you are not doing it already, don't try after reading this.

On a speed board, I have headed upwind whilst hand dragging and then bum dragging & even then it ended up with bruising !

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby balugh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:39 pm

I do it sometimes...a floaty jump and aim for a soft landing with very little re-direct so that when I touch the water I'm barely moving. In really over powered situations you still get the tea bag effect but at least you're not racing along at a huge speed.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 pm

I sometimes do the downwind jump with a 'reverse thrust' loop behind me on the edge of the window.
Definately dont try this if you dont know how to heli loop a kite... or you will get all funked up :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 pm

I use it...I am always pretty much powered.
Specially after I get a gust or am too fast after a powerful landing....then I just send the kite, and then I can get back under the kite, to slow down, and then at landing be able to edge hard again to get the control back.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Interesting responses. A hand drag is something I haven't thought of before. Not sure I'm keen on a high speed death run.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sat May 03, 2014 1:40 am

had this situation about a month ago for the first time in forever. getting blasted in 45mph south padre north wind, couldn't edge it down, couldn't even keep arm in water to try and help, continuous acceleration probably approaching 40+ on the wakeboard, (ive gps'd at 51 on a speed board so I know what it feels like), thought about burning a massive turn downwind but was a little limited by space, probably would have needed 100meters ,maybe more.

opted to ditch it to the leash. was kind of disappointed not to be able to run it out but was super fun while it lasted. felt like 2003 in hood river all over again, totally no way to slow down whatsoever.

being lit and going faster than you can handle with tons more potential and no way ability to slow down is a way different feeling than being lit and going as fast as possible and trying to go faster like the speed sessions ive done. it was awesome.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat May 03, 2014 2:43 am

The reverse thrust downloop is the fastest way to scrub off speed when you can hold the board down... sending it to the behind you does little in comparison...
Try it but make sure the bottom of the loop is level with you wether in the air or on the water and then dive it at the water on the window edge & after your skid marks ha e washed out your wetties, start the next kamikazee run farq yeah :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”