Gear: Cab sb 12m 2012
Cab chaos 7m 2013
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2014 north bar on 2013 cabrinha chaos

Postby Slimach » Thu May 01, 2014 12:51 am

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying a new north evo 11m w/ bar and lines. I was wondering if anyone knows if the new north bar will work with the 2013 cabrinha chaos 7m I already own.

Cheers!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: 2014 north bar on 2013 cabrinha chaos

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 01, 2014 2:38 am

I'm pretty sure it will work.

North Quad bars have all the lines at the same length when fully sheeted in and the depower all the way off. And I think (but not sure) that the Cabrihna bar also has all the lines the same when fully sheeted in.

We really need a sticky on this forum that has all the bars, and if they are even or not, and if they are single or double line flag. And also a database for kites with the same info, shouldn't be that hard to put together with everyone contributing a little knowledge.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 am

Line lengths should be fine , its the flag line you should be the most concerned with. 2013 Cab IDS bar has about ten feet of flag line, if it is not long enough on the north bar the kite will not completely depower and rollover kite as designed. I think it is long enough but something you need to confirm.

Good luck

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 am

Slimach wrote:Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying a new north evo 11m w/ bar and lines. I was wondering if anyone knows if the new north bar will work with the 2013 cabrinha chaos 7m I already own.

Cheers!
... it will work but won't be good.

The Y point is high on the North bar and low on the Cabrinha's so this will put incorrect "pinch" on the kite and feel like crap.

cheers,

Robbie :D

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri May 02, 2014 7:30 am

I know I hear this "pinching" thing all the time but have yet to see any pictures or evidence that it actaully "pinches" the shape of the kite. I know it makes sense that "pinching" of the shape would occur, I guess I'd just like to see evidence of it.

How drastic is it if it happens? Does bridle length make a difference? etc.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:28 am

NorCalNomad wrote:I know I hear this "pinching" thing all the time but have yet to see any pictures or evidence that it actaully "pinches" the shape of the kite. I know it makes sense that "pinching" of the shape would occur, I guess I'd just like to see evidence of it.

How drastic is it if it happens? Does bridle length make a difference? etc.

Basically I have found I can use a low Y on a north kite (I do this on the dice, except in real windy or gusty conditions then it's back on the high Y, you can see the difference in profile really clearly when you tether launch it. The high Y creates a much tighter C arc and the low Y opens up the canopy for quicker turning, more direct feel and better jumping IMO). In the surf though I want it as c as possible and the high Y north bar comes out.

Putting a high Y on a kite designed for a low Y will pinch it as it is already designed for its maximum ....mm let's call it "openness".

So a low Y on a north kite, will certain advantages and disadvantages and no north bar on a low Y kite. It's already at it optimum pinch on a low Y if you know what I mean and looking at it from another perspective.

I have a low Y bar (4 line) a high Y north quad bar and a high Y five line north bar and I chop and change depending. For instance just tonight it was really light, so I used the high Y north bar on the dyno to tighten it up and create a stiffer canopy. When the wind rises I get out the low Y..but funny enough when it's really really lit, on goes the high Y fifth.

Experimented a lot as you can see.

timwrinch
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr, Anglesey
Aberavon, South Wales
Style: megaloops and wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Custom
Cabrinha S Quad
7,9,12 North Vegas
Been thanked: 0

Postby timwrinch » Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am

So do you think a Slingshot compstick with its low Y would work ok with the Chaos?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am

The Y is 3 meters up on 2013 cabrinha kites, wasnt till 2014 they started using "V"

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue May 13, 2014 5:50 am

... I discovered the high Y/low Y thing years ago on my Naish x4 kites.

The X4 originally came with 4 line bar that was a low Y or V you could call it, as in the front lines seperated just above the depower strap. Naish then came out with a modification kit so you could turn your exsiting bar into a 5 line bar and is basically same as todays setup with the front lines seperated higher up. I modified my bar and lines and tested it, with poor performances as a result.

Turned out it was aweful and I couldn't understand at the time til I saw a picture of my kite the missus took and the kite looked pinched in, icecream cone style. I test my other kite sizes and found same results, with the 20m being un-useable, 16m flew badly and 12m almost useable but still not that good. The bigger the kite, the worse it got.

I then modified my lines around until I got the Y point back down lower while maintaining the 5th line performances and the kites went back to normal.

Years later I even tried a North bar on my Core XR 17m with terrible results so clearly the Y height is very important in how much "pinch" is on the kite.

From what I have seen the Ben Wilson or Ozone bar will work fine on the Cab.

Try it and see for yourself.

Robbie :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”