Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiter Vs Fisherman

Forum for kitesurfers
GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Kiter Vs Fisherman

Postby GTC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm

This incident happened just few days ago in a beach near Barcelona (Castelldefels). Seems that there was a fishing contest and two kiters riding upwind from the fishermen tangled their kites, so they quickly went to the "fishing zone".
Hopefully nobody got hurt, only few fishing rods broken.

donchin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiter Vs Fisherman

Postby donchin » Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 am

Kiter gonna get a spanish beatdown.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 01, 2014 8:19 am

the kiter with the green kite is a complete selfish idiot!

He should have hold the other kiter's kite until he gets to it. Asocial behavior like this can get beaches banned.

Stupid :evil: :evil: :evil:

danglerdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby danglerdog » Thu May 01, 2014 11:07 am

In all fairness to the green kiter, (that appears to be a girl), it looks like the Cab guy simply had his kite down, but under control, when the green kiter exited the area with what would otherwise been an bad place to be with an unsecured kite. Out of frame the fisherman seemed to be helping grab the down kite, when suddenly the kiter gets yanked a bit as the kite relaunches, apparently with a wingtip wrap. A proper safety system should have rendered the kite safely flagged.

Did the fisherman in his attempt to help, cause the bridle wrap? Very possibly. out of frame, but the kiter would know.

Nothing scarier than a non-kiter grabbing your kite,(other than a non-kiter grabbing your bar while the kite is flying!)

The guy should have deployed the safety right away, perhaps he did and the wrap interfered with deployment. The kite sure flailed on some expensive fishing gear tho, and the kiter is responsible.

Not enough evidence to fault fellow kiter with kite in hand who perhaps wisely exited a dangerous situation.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm

The green kiters fault, she should have secured both kites. when she is walking away you can clearly see the other kite trying to climb up his line. there is clearly no room down wind.

She also should be walking behind the rods. not in front of them/

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Looks like there was communication between the green kiter and the guy with the fluorescent coat.

It was as if the green kiter was either told by the fluorescent guy that he'd get the kite OR the other way around and the green kiter told fluorescent guy to handle it.

But it appears fluorescent man didn't know how to handle a kite. I wonder of green kiter could have made a better assessment of the situation and realized that fluorescent man was not a kiter and she could have held her kite upside down and kept a foot on the other guy's kite until he rolled up his lines and grabbed his kite.

It just seems like a busy area and these kiters should keep a person on shore to protect people. At our launch, which has plenty of tourists, we keep a person onshore who's job it is to land kites and watch for any crashed kites or troubled kiters. Then a new person comes in off the water and let's the "kite guard" go out and have a session...

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu May 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Clearly, the girl should have put her kite down and grabbed the other kite. She was safe and in control of her kite already.
And the guy should have pull the QR right after the first loop.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 01, 2014 4:17 pm

maybe he pulled his QR already?

Definately she is to be blamed. I NEVER walk away with someone having a kite down on a busy beach. I grab it and hold it for the pilot to catch it. Once secured by the pilot I walk away. Never ever before. NEVER !!!! :!:

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu May 01, 2014 4:18 pm

There is a lot of reading into this, you guys should be on the Kennedy Conspiracy and see if you can identify the second shooter on the grassy knoll. But when I watched it originally I interpreted it a little different. I assumed the female and the Cabrihna guy were together. The vest guy comes over to help the girl but at 12 seconds she clearly points to grab the other kite and the vest guy moves to go get it. May have been a bad decision, but she does not look like a selfish idiot. If she is a novice kiter she may be pretty nervous about holding a kite and grabbing another (if I was riding with my daughter and got into that situation, I am sure I would be more worried about her and tell her to get away from my kite). Also at 25 seconds I pretty much think he does pull his QR and thinks everything is fine. The bar goes out pretty far. That is a 2012 Cabrihna on a 2 line IDS (like it or not) and I doubt it goes out that far without pulling the QR, but not all the way due to line twists. It looks to me that the kite relaunched from a "flagged" position but compromised due to the line twists.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm

She done good - Norths are more important than Cabs!
:dance3:

Return to “Kitesurfing”