North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the hook in the twerkin video?

Postby balugh » Fri May 02, 2014 11:07 pm

POACHER wrote:It's Neil Young. :cool2:
Yep...great tune. Neil's old man was a sports reporter in Winnipeg...:-)

Great vid btw.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyfish » Sat May 03, 2014 1:43 am

Hey James,
Killer video btw.
Can you post a pic of your slider set up. I just got an Engine harness and was going to set it up just like yours with slider and hook. Does your hook ever feel like it gets in the way? And do you have seperate bars for when you use the hook? I was thinking of just keeping the chicken loop and hook a little carabiner to the sliding rope. I like to unhook for wave riding sometimes, but when it's huge or just not right, I'd love to go slider...
so I'd really like to have a convertable system that I could even switch in the water.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat May 03, 2014 8:56 am

Flyfish wrote:Hey James,
Killer video btw.
Can you post a pic of your slider set up. I just got an Engine harness and was going to set it up just like yours with slider and hook. Does your hook ever feel like it gets in the way? And do you have seperate bars for when you use the hook? I was thinking of just keeping the chicken loop and hook a little carabiner to the sliding rope. I like to unhook for wave riding sometimes, but when it's huge or just not right, I'd love to go slider...
so I'd really like to have a convertable system that I could even switch in the water.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
There are a few doubled-up systems in this.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Sat May 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi guys,

The only safe snap shackle is the Wichard 2673. This shackle was pretty much standard equipment before our current releases were designed. The sport was pretty sketchy when I started in 2001. 2 line kites and no safety release at all. The only safety was to unhook. I went from no safety release to the Wichard 2673 and rode it for 8 years until I was happy with production releases. The 2673 saved my butt a few times and worked perfect each time.

http://www.wichardamerica.com/wichard_e ... l-eye.html

Our current releases are based off the 2673 and function using the same concepts.

I replaced the stock pull line with a length of sleeved Q Powerline with a 1/2 diameter stopper ball. Any ball larger than 1/2 inch will self release the 2673 during a hard fall. We then larkheaded the leash directly to the 2763 to get a spinning leash setup. The leash line from the 2763 would then hook to a single front line to flag the kite. This spinning leash setup was state of the art back then...

To release you do the same thing as today. Grab the chicken loop line and slide your hand toward the 2673. Once you get to the stopper ball it will release just like today's releases.

-Tom
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat May 03, 2014 4:11 pm

tswierkocki wrote:Hi guys,

The only safe snap shackle is the Wichard 2673.

-Tom
Yea , i used that release for 7 years or so also. I got rid of the chicken loop and
QR on my bar, and attached the base of the 2673, directly to the 8mm cord of the bar
set-up. This would allow the bar to spin , but the release cord was always in the same spot.
I placed Velcro on the end of the release cord , and stuck it to my harness so i'd Know
where the handle was all the time without looking.

The way i did it, allowed the entire bar to be 2 inches closer to the harness ; so i made
the 8mm cord 2 inches longer, for More travel on the bar. I might go back to that system
beings that the Only down-side was i had to rinse it with my water-bottle before hooking
in, to ensure it would work if needed on the launch. Other people could still borrow
my kite ; just needed to instruct them on how it worked.

BTW, like Tom said ; i Never had that devise jam on me , but i Was Very
careful about sand.

I just looked at my V-7 Dynabar , i can get rid of the hook, and snap into the base
where the hook attaches to the pulley ; that's gonna give me one more inch of travel
for a total of 3" !! Guess i'm Definitely going back to that system ; even found
a bran-new Wichard 2673 that i never used from 2004 , Price Then was $59, and
now they want $109.

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Sat May 03, 2014 4:12 pm

thanks Ronnie,
I found this video of a guy riding useing a slider with a chicken loop. im thinking the same thing except using a small carabiner instead of the metel ring.

heinzbush
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby heinzbush » Sat May 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Flyfish wrote:thanks Ronnie,
I found this video of a guy riding useing a slider with a chicken loop. im thinking the same thing except using a small carabiner instead of the metel ring.

I am confused, I though the ring that this guy is using is supposed to connect to the leash - not the CL! Dynbar has a hook, with some little plastic washers (for smooth gliding) that is attached to the Dynema rope and where the CL is attached...

just wondering if the ring will be able to take the load for many sessions...

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Sun May 04, 2014 3:28 pm

heinzbush wrote:
Flyfish wrote:thanks Ronnie,

I am confused, I though the ring that this guy is using is supposed to connect to the leash - not the CL! Dynbar has a hook, with some little plastic washers (for smooth gliding) that is attached to the Dynema rope and where the CL is attached...

just wondering if the ring will be able to take the load for many sessions...
At Somabay we tested this configuration to see the best option sliding/fixed during race.
The rings are two, weld and they will take a huge load.
This solution is also used when the kiter wants both option sliding/fixed for wave/freestyle without the need to replace the hook. The safety is guaranteed by you CL QR.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Used this method in early days with mods similar to others, using wire and stopper ball for release and light Velcro to keep in place. If your happy that one day it won't release, then use it. I had several occasions when it didn't, despite being fine on beach. It wasn't sand, the shackle can distort slightly under heavy load and twist the cutaway release bit. Not so bad with modern kites if it doesn't release, but was plain dangerousness whith the old 'C' . I ended up using a chicken loop through a ring attached to the whichard for a second chance safety. Above post seems the best idea, without the whichard.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 pm

The only reason I have stuck with the proper whichard is because it is a significantly shorter set up than running the chicken loop to a ring on line as in the pic. Bar ergonomics are pretty much what its all about in waves and having everything even four inches too far away is just not gonna cut it for many people. The Whichard is as short a release as I have found and allows for the proper length of line to run the slider on. Too short a line and its all herky jerky.... another no go.

Return to “Kitesurfing”