tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Gun 2012

Postby tr3v » Mon May 05, 2014 12:50 am

I have been looking for reviews on the 2012 Naish Gun, but cannot seem to find a lot of info. It also appears that this board is discontinued - was 2012 was the last edition?

I am after a board that will give me more control in big waves, when it is choppy and usually blowing 30 knots. I currently ride a 2012 Naish Global 6'1" in these conditions which gets a bit loose sometimes, mainly due to the speed and the chop. Does anyone have any experience with the Gun? Is it worth adding to my quiver? Or am I better off getting a 2013/14 Global - I realize that this is very different from the 2012 model that I currently have.

I have found a few Naish Gun reviews for previous years - was the board changed much from say 2009 to 2012?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Naish Gun 2012

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 am

Why not get a normal surf gun with heavier construction from a local shaper? Almost all the design features on a gun are designed to give you more control.

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 am

NorCalNomad wrote:Why not get a normal surf gun with heavier construction from a local shaper? Almost all the design features on a gun are designed to give you more control.
Yes, I would but a local shaper is going to cost me significantly more.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 am

Its killer for exactly what you want. The last year it was made in all carbon.. It has a foam center. Super strong.
It turns slower with less snap than the global.. But you'll have as much control you'll ever have on a kite board.

My only complaint would be that the tail is so skinny you'd get some splash on the back foot if you are not in the strap... Which isn't a problem.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 am

I've used mine in about triple overhead. Ultrachoppy.
It's also a great board for riding fast in windy conditions.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

tr3v wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:Why not get a normal surf gun with heavier construction from a local shaper? Almost all the design features on a gun are designed to give you more control.
Yes, I would but a local shaper is going to cost me significantly more.
Really? :o Your local shaper would charge you $1.1K for a sturdy gun?

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 am

Really? :o Your local shaper would charge you $1.1K for a sturdy gun?
Yes, really. More in fact. I was asking because I can get a relatively cheap Naish Gun (way cheaper than custom made) but was wondering why they aren't made anymore - e.g. are there known problems, or am I not going to get any huge benefit above the global or...

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 am

tautologies wrote:Its killer for exactly what you want. The last year it was made in all carbon.. It has a foam center. Super strong.
It turns slower with less snap than the global.. But you'll have as much control you'll ever have on a kite board.

My only complaint would be that the tail is so skinny you'd get some splash on the back foot if you are not in the strap... Which isn't a problem.
Awesome thanks - that's very encouraging. Is it noticeably more difficult to get upwind?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 05, 2014 10:04 am

[quote="tr3v"
Awesome thanks - that's very encouraging. Is it noticeably more difficult to get upwind?[/quote]

Well I don't think it is probelmatic going upwind. I do know given flat water and lightish winds it would be a bit more difficult, but in chop and high winds and big winds I think the added control makes up pretty well for the skinny outline and super thin pin tail. You'll notice but not that much. To me once you are on the wave...even high speeds feel controllable..even when you have waves on the wave.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:10 pm

A great board, I used mine in double overheard and it tracks like no other board - super confident high speed bottom turns, that wouldn't be possible on anything else.

It goes upwind like a train and boosts really well due to all that speed & control.

I would imagine its no longer made, as there is a relatively small market for this type of thing :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”