Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I am still confused by Ozone Edge wingtip adjustments

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

I am still confused by Ozone Edge wingtip adjustments

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu May 01, 2014 1:35 am

As you know, there are 3 but all the kite shows is heavier/lighter bar pressure. Which would be faster turning? Which would be more depower? Which would be better for boosting, kite loops, waves? Can someone simplify it?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: I am still confused by Ozone Edge wingtip adjustments

Postby Westozzy » Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 am

Sure...

Light bar pressure setting (closest to wingtip, furtherest from centre of leading edge)...faster turning, more depower, (hence loops quicker and with less power (But looping the edge?) but kite will therefore fly more forward in the wind window, so the hangtime will be reduced..not as good for boosting.

Middle: Optimum setting really, slower turning, heavier bar pressure (but lets face it, it is still light), but kite sits a little further back (in a very basic fashion essentially just shorten the back lines), best for boosting.

And so on ...

waves? You are on the wrong kite mate. You wanna get into looping..you are on teh wrong kite again..it is what it is, a race kite that can be used for some boosting freeride and suppose working upwind on a wave..then boosting, did I say boosting, yeh I'm sure I did, boosting!

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu May 01, 2014 2:22 am

LOL...I know that about the waves. Was really referring to depower and drift. But your post cleared it up. Thanks!

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Thu May 01, 2014 9:14 am

It is usually less depower aless bar pressure and faster turning the closer to the wingtip you get. You also get more coning when you sheet in on the lighter settings which reduces efficiency.

OldGuy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby OldGuy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Well, I'm a little confused too. Wouldn't attaching the rear line further away from the wingtip ( the + direction ) give you MORE depower ? My thinking is the kite is more "sheeted out" for a given bar position so it has less power, right, isn't that "more depower"........?

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ozchrisb » Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 pm

I can't see how the rear lone attachment affects overall depower. If you can make the back lines go slack it doesn't matter where they attach, you're getting max depower. You might get more power at a given trim and bar position, but that's like saying "I have more power when I sheet in." My RRD's have a length adjustment for when you move the back line, maybe the Edges are missing this so you can't sheet out on the forward position?

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Fri May 02, 2014 6:19 pm

The difference in angle between front and rear lines plays into how big an AoA change one unit movement on the bar will produce. So even though you elongate the back lines the efficiency of the total depower travel is smaller. I have no idea if you can actually feel the difference but it is there :P

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Tue May 06, 2014 3:45 pm

You can feel the difference, just explore the settings. Ride for 10 min on one end and 10 min on the other and you will feel it!

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Maybe this is like that scene with Johnny Depp in Donnie Brasco, where the agents ask him what is "feghttaboutit" and after his detailed explanation, Johnny says, "...and some times feghetaboutit...just means forget about it." Perhaps when Ozone writes on the Edge, " - = Less Bar Pressure and + = More Bar Pressure", that this is all it means and has nothing to do with more or less depower, quicker or slower turning speed LOL.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 am

Who cares about depower differences on an edge! It is minimal. Changing the setting, changes mostly the turning speed and bar pressure. The edge can be controlled via learning how to edge your board properly and get the wing to the edge of the window. It wants it, let it find it to spill some air, or better convert that to upwind drive..or even better to boost!

Depower...it should be called a trim, gives the wrong idea. A fully depowered kite in strong winds is a dangerous thing. Your 'depower' is only a slight trim adjustment to dial in the variances in the wind gusts.

Return to “Kitesurfing”