Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mutiny kite swivel

Forum for kitesurfers
oshaugho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mutiny kite swivel

Postby oshaugho » Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm

or you could try the switchkites swivel.

No affiliation or even own a switch kite but modded my bar with their swivel and works a treat. Option of single line flagging or 5th line flag.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu May 15, 2014 7:47 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:Yes the Mutiny 'ceramic' bearing swivel is very different from the naish slingshot liquid force blade ones that are all very similar stainless steel...
It drove me insane to figure the single frontline mod... Until i looked backwards to go forwards :)
Will take some pics today.
BgKiter - i have a Rocket scientist degree that helped me figure it out Ha ha, but not sure why my special white Lab jacket ties up from behind :)
Blade one is ceramic for sure..Waay better than Stainless Steel

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:Ok - heres the very simple Mutiny swivel mod pics, to flag out to a single front line..

I bought one to replace an old stainless slingshot swivel and it works brilliantly smooth and decided I wanted to mod it for nuclear wind sessions, to a single frontline line. The body and bearing is wider and larger than other brands and the extra width of the front line connect points from hole to hole - aids it in resisting the usual twists.
Check out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FX9LBgktc

The problem..
It has no holes in the sides like other brands for a front line flag out connection to go through..

The fix..
Who said you have to go through the side :cool2: I had to think back to my old naish boxer bar that had a ball and ring flag out, but no flash swivel..
It works a treat, is heavy duty and reliable - exactly what I want and wont have to worry about twisted lines not releasing properly when activating the safety :thumb:
I also put 2 OSH handles on just in case things ever go pear shaped..
That is a clever solution. Only thing extra I will do is smooth off the edge of the red ball. Thanks.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm

If the mod helps one kiter out in a scary predicament then thats great.
If you hold the blade swivel next to it in real life - Youll see where the quality lacks as it makes it look flimsy.
I have the latest Switch V2 bar and it twists up the lines after a short time wether i clean it lube it whatever...
Im want to buy a few to replace the Switch one (which will also get a Naish smartloop kit) and also to put on my new Naish bar.
They work that well just as the video shows..
No affiliation whatsoever - just over bullshit marketing claims and swivels that stop working after a few months.
The one I pictured is nearly 2years old and still smooth n twist free that i use on all my kites from 6 to 15m.
Thats what i call great engineering and value for money :)
Faklord... thanks for the link.
Tha

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 am

Got the Wainman Carrot ceramic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384463&p=836909#p836909

Using 5 lines with it with a 5th line tensioned. Works well with my mod.

The difference with a LF one are SS sleeved holes for the centre lines which effortlessly slides through.

D.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri May 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Just noticed you can get them direct from mutiny as well
http://www.mutinykites.com/collections/ ... cts/swivel

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri May 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Can anyone tell me if the screw which holds the pulley where the trim strap attaches can be removed for installing a traditional pull/pull strap?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat May 17, 2014 1:29 am

LaughingMan - the mutiny swivel pulley is sealed and does not undo..
If you post a pick of your 'pull pull strap - im sure we can figure out a simple adapter for the connection.
Ive just ordered another 2 swivels that should see me smooth flying for the next few years.
As with every swivel you still have to wash it after every session or put it in warm water when the salt builds up..

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun May 18, 2014 4:34 am

I replaced SS turbine swivel with wainman one - seems to work much nicer!!!

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 am

Laughingman wrote:Can anyone tell me if the screw which holds the pulley where the trim strap attaches can be removed for installing a traditional pull/pull strap?
Hey I just remembered I had one of those bars - standard.
Heres the high tec mod.. combine with my previous one
also put the Safety line outside your chicken loop if it wont slide through easily and TEST

The Swivel comes with 2 front line attachment ropes, so all you need to do is put a ring on it - and tie a figure 8 knot to make them both the same length.. easy.
1.Cut the ring off
2. Use a bit of pvc tubeing for the webbing hole to ensure the 'width' remains (instead of pulling together etc
3. Use a bit of depower line to make a short connection to the Swivel..
4. Adjust your back leader line knots to get equal length again. Since you will lose the front line adjustment knots, add extra to the leader lines to compensate..
5. Ride twist free :cool2:
P1020413.JPG
P1020413.JPG (158.5 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
P1020414.JPG
P1020414.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
P1020415.JPG
P1020415.JPG (168 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
P1020416.JPG
P1020416.JPG (177.5 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”