Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to rescue a victim tangled with a buoy?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

How to rescue a victim tangled with a buoy?

Postby tomatkins » Sun May 18, 2014 12:12 am

There are many ways that a kiter can get tangled on a marker buoy.

How has this type of accident been dealt with sucessfully? What are the factors that should be taken into consideration, by the person who attempts to perform this rescue?

A guiding pinciple in any attempted rescue is "first, do no harm"... since a bad situation can always be made worse.

What should a fellow kiter do when witnessing a kiter tangled to a buoy?

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to rescue a victim tangled with a buoy?

Postby robertovillate » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 am

I've seen this happen to experienced kiters, thankfully not fatally. Very scary, especially if it's very windy, even a slight current running, or some wave action. If it's really mellow (eg... no wind, no current, totally slack lines) you might be able to work it out by drawing yourself to the bouy and unsnagging your line, but beware of the sneaky spaghetti effect - you can make things worse by swimming around in your lines...be very careful!!...it's amazing how quickly the line can tie a hitch around your legs or snag on your harness, etc.

If the kiter is not freed almost immediately the best, and perhaps only option is to CUT the line ASAP. Drowning can occur very quickly in a situation like this. Even if the QR is activated the leash will still drag the rider under water, so the leash needs to be released immediately as well.

I try to stay well away from any buoys (upwind anyway). I've seen kites caught by buoys go into wild loops as well,..watched one kite beat itself to death looping while snagged by a buoy. Fortunately the kiter got free. Losing the kite is one thing, but drowning...well...enough said..

(sorry, fixed some spelling and added a comment)
Last edited by robertovillate on Sun May 18, 2014 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sun May 18, 2014 2:32 am

Yeah, agreed...if it is to the point that you are going to rescue, cut the lines. No question.

I got tangled in a buoy twice when I was a new kiter. In both cases luckily I was able to slip my line free before it got ugly...but it scared the shit outta me.

So, if you're the kiter...relax, think it through slow, and if you are careful and lucky you can get out of it with no harm to person or gear. Kind of like when two kites gets tangled...if nobody panics you can get out of that. If somebody freaks and and releases too early it's a shit show. If you release to safety, you may be able to go to the buoy and free your kite while lines are depowered...but be ready to cut yourself free.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 am

Happened to my bro once. Doing one of his first downwinders. Lucky it wasn't windy. No knife back then. He couldn't even get out the chicken loop!!

I had to take a line off, crank back upwind, take another, etc then took his kite in. Came back took his board in, He was able to get out so dragged his sorry ass in.

Some crayfishermen would have got some crays and a bar and lines next morning. Doh. And they were MY BAR AND LINES TO!!

I went downwind only to find his car wouldn't start (he had taken the distributor cap off and hid it (he's a special kind of guy), he got lost on the way back and crashed a wedding occurring on the 10th hole of a gold course (during the ceremony) mind you, and was taken to the club house on a buggy with a soggy kite and board. Funniest thing you've ever seen!

But yeh knife an get the fluck out of there!!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

My GF had this experience very early in our Kitesufing. Kite got caught on a steering line and powered up due to the leverage effect pulling her down :o
She ditched to safety, but was getting pulled into the slack lines So she ditched that too.

Thankfully no line wrapping around her and the safety boat came out to get her.

She had the right mindset, fuk that shit! detach from everything, it's a kite. (kite would've blown on shore as it was cross on if it got lose)

The kite was still attached to the buoy, they disconnected the kite from the lines and they cut the line to the buoy. Trying to save the bar & lines

One of the lines was nicely 'melted' from the friction created

She was a little shaken up to say the least :cry:

Next day we talked about it and she went back out. Better to get back on that horse or you'll never get back on it :thumb:

We both avoid buoys as much as we can now :wink:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon May 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Two knifes and an impact vest/pfd for me. One hook knife under spreader bar and a folding water knife tucked into side of seat harness. I even put tether lines on them so I cannot drop. You never know whats in the water. Nets , fishing lines , weeds, moorings etc, why not be ready?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon May 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Me too, two knives and a life vest. In the picture, swimming with your lines, a friend of mine...
Attachments
Lines.JPG
Lines.JPG (64.48 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

bgkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens
Favorite Beaches: Viento
Style: wake
Gear: UFO
Brand Affiliation: Whatever is going cheap

Postby bgkiter » Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Folks, read about this NEAR fatal accident in hood river last Friday as to how things can go horribly wrong with a big buoy. This was on the White Salmon side of the river. This was also in fresh water, current and swell (all the things we like about the Gorge!) that highlights the absolute need to have some extra floatation and serious knives no matter how experienced you are.

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-32440.html&s ... e008dd2d05

V

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 pm

This is the second knife I carry. It has a great clip and a hole( hard to see in photo where blade pivots) perfect for running a line threw . This khife is like a saw and can cut threw thick rope with ease. Also has a blunt tip which is much better.

http://www.knifehog.com/p-1473-spyderco ... 89syl.aspx

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby jats2k9 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm

My respects for this girl. Hopefully she comes back and enjoys kiting fearlessly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”