Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Luigi North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help me choose the Drifter or Dice as freeride-wave kite

Postby Robbylion » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am

Hey,
I have 2 seasons under my belt, using all rounder kites.
Since I got a surfboard in addition to a twintip, I realise I like riding waves as much as the occasional boost or basic trick. I feel I like best fast turning kites (i like to throw the kite around) with low bar pressure.
Hence for this year I am keen giving a Wave kite a go. Because it will be my only kite, I would like it to be fair in jumping/"freeridability" as well.
Which do you reckon is the better (or least worst) jumper (lift, and hangtime) between the Drifter and the Dice? I am assuming they are pretty much on par for wave characteristics, bar pressure, range, upwind etc.
Not really interested in other kites, mostly because of how they look like.

Oh, I am 5'11" (180cm) and 155lbs (70 to 75 kg); kite size would be 9 and wind range about 15 to 22kts with the surfboard and about 18 to 25 kts with the TT.

Cheers

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Re: Help me choose the Drifter or Dice as freeride-wave kite

Postby Lanc » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 am

Both great kites for what you want to do. I'm 70kg have the 8m drifter and love it in the waves and jumping/hangtime . Dice will probably have a lower bar pressure. The bar pressure on the drifter is very heavy over 20kn. My drifter does not relaunch as quick as they say it does and I've had many other kites that relaunch quicker. I've been out with a guy on same size dice in lighter 15kn and drifter got upwind easier but that might just be technique.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu May 22, 2014 10:29 am

If you said freestyle, wave I'd immediately say dice. Freeride wave, drifter has to come into it. Demo both and chuck in the airush wave for good measure... :D

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 pm

These two kites are very different and I don't think there is much of a comparison in surf. A more direct comparison for the Dice would be the Vector from Cabrinha. The Drifter is 100% surfing performance. Sure it does other things well, but the priority is surf in all conditions. The Vector is a universal freeride kite that is good in surf (I used the 7m the other day in side-on conditions) but also is great in flat water jumping, etc. The dice fits more in this category. Vector/Dice are more general purpose, Drifter much surf specific. Do you have a way to try the kites? Where do you kite?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Lanc:
just curious...are yoy flying the Drifter on the B or the A wingtip setting. Unlike other Cabrinha models the Drifter ships on the B setting. I find the kite relaunches easier on the A setting; it also has lighter bar pressure and turns faster. In the B setting the kite will power up and down quicker with less bar throw
steve

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 pm

experienced1 wrote:...are you flying the Drifter on the B or the A wingtip setting
It is still on the default B setting. Didn't notice that, all my other kites are on the A setting. I haven't found the need to want to change it seeing as I'm happy the with the way it flies out the box. I'll give the A setting a try and see if that changes the relaunch and bar pressure at the top end.

Robbylion
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Luigi North Rebel

Postby Robbylion » Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 am

Thanks for the replies guys, although I'm still unsure which is the best jumper between both! As with other things, will indeed need to try first hand :kiff:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:00 am

Cab Driver wrote:These two kites are very different and I don't think there is much of a comparison in surf. A more direct comparison for the Dice would be the Vector from Cabrinha. The Drifter is 100% surfing performance. Sure it does other things well, but the priority is surf in all conditions. The Vector is a universal freeride kite that is good in surf (I used the 7m the other day in side-on conditions) but also is great in flat water jumping, etc. The dice fits more in this category. Vector/Dice are more general purpose, Drifter much surf specific. Do you have a way to try the kites? Where do you kite?

Not sure I'd call the dice a universal freeride kite good in the surf? Its a good freestyle kite and excellent in the surf...all round kites sit across the spectrum, the dice is up near the surf side, hence its pure boosting attributes only come into play in the middle to upper wind range. Drifter for pure surf I agree would be the best choice between the two, the dice is better than good though. I've ridden most all rounders and when push comes to shove in critical sections they lack in the surf, not the dice. I know I'm splitting hairs but there is a difference if you ride enough kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”