adamharr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: UPS experiences

Postby adamharr » Tue May 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Bought the board off a friend.

Was gonna do cargo but would take 2 weeks for cargo approval.
So UPS... Regret it so bad....
My friend is in Asia out of wi fi for a 6 month trip.

Ahhhh know i don't even have a tracking ##

What can i do???

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Wed May 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Actually you may be in luck if its UPS.

Sign up for UPS My Choice delivery, it will require alot of personal information via the UPS website.

Once you have My Choice active, you can see all shipments directed towards your address that have your name. Just make sure you include the exact name your friend used either in your name section or in the alias section. So put down first, middle, first with full middle, first with middle initial, etc. in the alias section.

It also allows you to redirect packages to other locations, like the UPS pickup facility, UPS retail stores, or pay a fee for a different address altogether.

You can also attempt to call UPS although I've had situations where they couldn't even find something that I was looking at on their website...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Also in the kite business and UPS does a great job getting stuff where it's supposed to go, IN THE US. Once it's going outside our borders, we only use USPS. Costs less, gets there dependably, but not REAL tracking like UPS. Basically, the tracking is little better than "it was sent" or "it is here."

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Sat May 24, 2014 6:11 am

Hello,

I have a kite club in Sumatra. I ordered some surfboards from greece and shipped them to here. I knew it would be risky.
Now to tell you a long story short.

Make sure that you don't collect them at the airport. Let them make the delivery bring to your door. A lot of times UPS will give the delivery over to a 'local' Post company. That is fine but UPS is then still in charge of it.

The customs is another story. I made a ' sample' letter in there+ also i billed the invoice lower as it should be.

All with all. I personally would never do this anymore in this way.

With me it was all good at the end. I just don't like the stress of it.

Hope this will help.

www.seabreezekiteclub.com

Thanks

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 pm

SENDIT! wrote:Also in the kite business and UPS does a great job getting stuff where it's supposed to go, IN THE US. Once it's going outside our borders, we only use USPS. Costs less, gets there dependably, but not REAL tracking like UPS. Basically, the tracking is little better than "it was sent" or "it is here."
Yes, USPS tracking is a joke. My last USPS tracking fiasco was a tax return and check sent Certified Mail to the IRS last month. USPS tracked it from FL to NC, but then got stuck on "Expected Delivery: April 13". Last time I checked (early May), USPS still showed "Expected Delivery: April 13". When USPS was asked to investigate, I was told "we're pretty sure it was delivered". "Pretty sure????" Certified Mail & USPS tracking are really pretty worthless. When my bank confirmed that the IRS had cashed my check, I dropped the issue, but I'll probably use another delivery service in the future.

Rkiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Fone
Naish
Crazyfly

Postby Rkiter » Wed May 28, 2014 6:49 am

I go customs my self. Take me 10 minutes, i take my stuff and i am out. But i live close to customs, maybe 20 minutes with car.

Return to “Kitesurfing”