Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Cabrinha Drifter 9m
Naish Haze
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

length steering lines in relation to power lines

Postby KitingT-rex » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm

I recently crashed in the waves. I got pulled along by kite which was pushed towards the shore by a wave. Small tear in my kite, got it repaird. One of my steering lines was longer afterwards so I stretched the other one. This is the second time one of my lines needed to be stretched. While kiting the next session I had the feeling ( not sure if it was correct) that my kite had less power than it should have in relation to the current winds. Could it be that my steering lines are a bit to long? How long should they be in relation to the power lines?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: length steering lines in relation to power lines

Postby edt » Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 pm

all lines should be exactly equal. If they are not tune the kite, I think you already know how to do that. Attach all the lines to a post, stretch out the lines with the bar at maximum power. All lines should have exactly equal tension. You can stretch lines by pulling them and there are knots on the kite and bar you can move or you can add pigtails. Remember the two center lines also have to be exactly equal if one power line is a bit longer than the other the kite will fly crooked and lack power. All bars need to have their lines tuned periodically, I usually stretch them out to see if they are ok once a month.

KitingT-rex
Rare Poster
Style: new
Cabrinha Drifter 9m
Naish Haze

Postby KitingT-rex » Thu May 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for the quick respons.

Does anyone got any advise on which knots to use or ways to attach the lines to a post to make ik easy to stretch the lines equally and while remaining easy to disconnect. Last time I spend 45 minutes loosening up the knots.

(English isn't my native language, this is why my sentences can be a bit peculiar)

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

I use a lark's head same way you attach lines to the leaders of your kite.

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Sat May 24, 2014 6:02 am

Hello,

Yes! The steering lines should be as equal as the powerlines. Ones one of them become longer or streched , that is a marker for you that lines need to be replaced in the near future.

When you change the lines, it should be all 4 of them to have equal lines again.

Hope this helps.

www.seabreezekiteclub.com

Thanks

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Sun May 25, 2014 8:28 am

The best knot to tie that takes up the most line is a figure 8 knot. When tied it will shorten your line by an inch and a half. Plus it won't wear the line where the knot is tied. If you want to do it right then invest $150 in new Dyneema lines and replace your old lines. They come pre-stretched to 60% of their breaking strength and you shouldn't have to ever tune them again.

But once you have tuned your bar and made all 4 lines equal length if you want to give your kite more low end (i.e. more power) then shorten your steering lines by no more than 3 inches. Most kites today have a setting either at the kite or at the bar which allows you to do this.

This changes the angle of the kite as it travels into the wind window and allows more lift. Your boosts will be higher and you will get a lot more power.

Just don't sit your kite at 12 over your head because when you shorten your steering lines and fly it at 12 and if the winds are light then it will have a tendency to back stall. The simple remedy for this is to fly the kite at 11 or 1.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun May 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Never tie knots in dyneema or spectra. it will cut strength in hall. only q power line can be knotted. btw a figure 8 in nylon rope gives you about 90 percent strength of line but this exact same knot in spectra will snap the line. so it's not the type if knot but that spectra or dynema can't be knotted without snapping

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm

edt wrote:Never tie knots in dyneema or spectra. it will cut strength in hall. only q power line can be knotted. btw a figure 8 in nylon rope gives you about 90 percent strength of line but this exact same knot in spectra will snap the line. so it's not the type if knot but that spectra or dynema can't be knotted without snapping
Spectra and Dyneema are brand names....not different types of cordage. They are both made from UHMWPE fibers. And a figure 8 knot exerts the lowest amount of pressure on the line but you are right that the line will eventually fail if the knot stays intact for a couple of years. Like I said the best method is to get newer pre-stretched lines and just replace the old lines he is flying.

KitingT-rex
Rare Poster
Style: new
Cabrinha Drifter 9m
Naish Haze

Postby KitingT-rex » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:15 pm

So my steering lines are stretched more then 30 centimeters. Does this mean that the lines are almost done?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 pm

wow...30cm....
Try knotting the line at the sleeves instead. It takes up a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”