Style: freestyle and wave
Gear: rev2 7&11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

report : progression clinic in soma bay

Postby towardflo » Mon May 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Hello to everybody,

I make this small report because it was my first clinic and maybe, it would interest some of you...

To replace the context, I have a correct level in unhooked (basic tricks + some handle passes but I was not able to ride for almost one year because of an operation of the shoulder last July and I have some kitesurf trips behind me. as a result, being in lack of sun and tricks, I decided that I am going to offer myself a small clinic of coaching to connect the useful and the pleasant !
I opted for a kite academy cause I've known the coach since he had already given the courses to my wife a few years ago in the vénézuela and I had found him very sharp at the technical level.

So I left for a week of coaching to soma bay for Egypt where I had never gone.

The clinic :
It lasts six days, with coaching but also a downwind and a session of wake. the accommodation and the half board are included as well as the services of the club of kitesurf (beach boys, compressors, changing rooms, locker with padlock, rinsing, drying and folding your kites at the end of stay!
DSC03709 - copie.jpg
the kite club
The spot :
We were on the spot situated at the very top of the bay, most upwind. The wind is offshore but surprisingly not gusty and the spot is really flat actually. the color of the water is just magnificent and its temperature is not bad either (26 °). The wind blows from early morning and tends to fall in the afternoon, more or less early if it is strong or not in the morning.
Capture d’écran 2014-04-28 à 20.50.45.jpg
Capture d’écran 2014-04-28 à 20.53.43.jpg
The coaching:
As my plane arrived very early in the morning (3 hours) I remained to sleep at the beginning of the morning then I joined the rest of the group which was already on the water. The day objective was to navigate "normally" so that nico (the coach) can see our level. In the evening, between two beers, we had an individual briefing to determine our objectives of the week...
фото 1.jpg
briefing with the coach !
Then, before every session and after the warm up (I am not 20 anymore...), nico explained to us individually on what we were going to work and how. For those who would be afraid of "fake" coaching where the instructor rides at the same time by looking of the corner of the eye, we are far from it! There, nico is not on the water! He stays in the shore, watches his pupils riding and calls back us regularly to advise us, to correct us.
Capture d’écran 2014-05-20 à 12.41.26.jpg
coaching on the sand bank at the arrival of the downwind
The thing I really appreciated it is that besides having an outside eye which helps us to improve, he lead us to analyze what we made and as a result, I got quite a lot of tricks even for figures which I did not work! In the final, in the weekend, I landed three new handle passes so, i can claim
I reached my goals!
For other pupils of the group (we were three guys and three girls) whose levels were diverse : from learning jumps with the kite high and\or transitions to handle pass through the basics of unhooked, results were positive also.
Capture d’écran 2014-05-20 à 11.53.06.jpg
One of the trainees learning the unhooked backroll, she will also land the raley to surface pass!
The last evening, nico ends the clinic by making an individual debriefing of the week to see what was good, what is to be worked and especially what it is necessary to work to continue to progress, homework !

The hotel:
Being used to the "roots" things, I have to admit that the hotel was not in my usual standings : very class, everything is squeaky clean, we miss nothing and especially, we eat well.

The journey:
I found tickets from France about 340€ with Turkish with a stopover in Istanbul on the way out and on the way back.

This is how I felt the week, I really appreciated the clinic and it is clear that I shall do it again !!
If you have questions, do not hesitate !

keviene
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rota, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Rota,Tarifa
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 12m 09

Re: report : progression clinic in soma bay

Postby keviene » Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm

i'm green with envy!! i wish i could do something like this.

what kites did you bring?(sizes)

towardflo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la torche
Favorite Beaches: le morne, coche, bois jolan, piantarella

Postby towardflo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

i had three RPM : 7/9/11... and i used all of them over there...

towardflo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la torche
Favorite Beaches: le morne, coche, bois jolan, piantarella

Postby towardflo » Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 pm

video summary of the week :