speed 4 18m in 9 kt

Forum for kitesurfers
voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: speed 4 18m in 9 kt

Postby voodoospirit » Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 pm

ok..so he s riding a bit close, ok.....the wind is 9 knots.....not 25knots , it s a ram air..so even if it crashes on kids, it wont obliterate them like a pumped hardtime leading edge....

last summer, i received a speed 3 19m in the head ( crossed the window too fast and too low, and one falling out of the sky and it s nowhere near the 17 LEI i received in the head and knocked me out totally for 5mn, and i had an helmet....)

unfortunatly , my snowkite area is very small and we have to kite very close to bypassers (like 10m or less), kids, winter houses and else....this vid is 400% more secured than my official snowkiting spot.

i d feel very lucky to get my water area that safe and even more , my snowkite one too, like the one on the vid.......

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Sun May 25, 2014 10:32 pm

I like the video, but have to agree....
OK...even IF there was not a less crowded spot to launch (and lines are what do the real damage to a bystander), the rider should have gotten out of the area and kept 100m offshore, away from all the people. Dude, you are just asking for trouble, and if you did that near my family day at the beach without a "Hey, do you mind giving me some space so I can launch and get outta here?", I'd be very angry.

Seemed to lack common sense and courtesy from the video.

Think of others! Thanks!

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 am

Fuss about riding too close to others can be a projection of local perspective.

I don't know where that video was taken, but I do know that there are some places where people find it fun to be close to the action, including kids. Even to get sprayed.

Similarly, kids often like to come and hang around when I'm throwing a Frisbee with friends at a large playing field. Neither the kids nor their parents tend to get bothered by the proximity. But that's very different from throwing a Frisbee at a designated kids' playground. Someone who's only familiar with the latter scenario, but sees a video of the former, might get upset and critical, due to their limited perspective.

I've seen kiteboarders and windsurfers passing close to fun-loving beachgoers in areas where "looking-for-something-to-complain-about" culture doesn't prevail. I can't remember seeing anyone get hurt as a result though. And I've seen places where bicycles, skateboards, inline skates and pedestrians somehow coexist in close proximity, normally without injury or complaint.

There are places where kiteboarding near others is problematic, but not everywhere. Unless I know the context of that video, I won't be criticizing.

Cheers,
James

samsam
Rare Poster
Gear: North Wainmann

Postby samsam » Mon May 26, 2014 7:11 am

Right on James :thumb:

Sam

kushi24
Rare Poster

Postby kushi24 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:13 am

Let's look at the facts:

1. This Beach is for marine sports activities only!
2. This beach swimming is forbidden!
3. This beach there is no lifeguard services!
4. The beach it has clear signage in accordance with paragraphs 1-3 above.

So ..

All swimmers in the water are those who break the law!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 26, 2014 12:48 pm

... y'all'd hate Japan :lol:

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon May 26, 2014 7:32 pm

I would have to agree that is wreckless riding. There is no reason to go so close to bathers.Even if you dont care about other peoples safety / image of the sport the reality is if you injure someone else they are going to try to sue the fck out of you.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 pm

UKSurf wrote:I would have to agree that is wreckless riding. There is no reason to go so close to bathers.Even if you dont care about other peoples safety / image of the sport the reality is if you injure someone else they are going to try to sue the fck out of you.
Well then... if you don't have the skill to kiteboard past someone without running into them, thereby triggering a lawsuit, even if they find it fun to mix in at a designated kiteboard launch, then I agree that you should get away from them and stay away! That, of course, includes other kiteboarders who are taking a swimming break, and photographers trying to get good close-up kiteboarding shots.

Similarly... if you don't have the skill to drive a car along a street without veering into oncoming traffic, then find another way to get where you're going because "the reality is if you injure someone else they are going to try to sue the fck out of you". And don't even get me started about playing volleyball, rugby or whatever, regardless how fun. It's dangerous, and you might get sued!

Having fun is not a good enough reason. Be safe. Stay home. Don't get sued.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 pm

eytan wrote:with phantom 2

http://vimeo.com/96284816
Where is it?

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect