Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: less Carafino more hydrofoil

Postby Rotule » Sat May 24, 2014 3:10 am

I think all this is sad, all the bad comments are always from the same people, they will realize you are honest once we have our boards. And even then, I am sure they will find something to cry about out loud.

A lot of peole are supporting you but we are not very active I wish that you can get over all this and continue making great products.

On my side, I am waiting for my 4 kits and dreaming of them, I think you will have given access to foiling to a lot of people and we will remember this.

Edge19
Medium Poster
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60

Postby Edge19 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 am

After all is said and done, personally i think you will deliver and i dont think you will rip people off. this snow ball has been rolling for sometime now and is huge. You cant keep fobbing people off for ever and you wont just disappear off the face of the earth, i think you are just trying to buy time to get your foil right.
i feel in your enthusiasm and excitement you unleashed your plans so early and got so much interest that people wanted there purchases quick, thats just boys and new toys syndrome, we all have it. I waited a year once for a custom rifle barrel form the states, was driving me mad but it arrived in the end and i was so pleased with it i forgot about the wait. Although you will deliver goods your delivery dates were not realistic. when people pay out money for kit, you want it like yesterday. As you were obviously still in the prototype stage, you cant bang out a good product with in a couple of months without testing and refining, no matter how good you are!

So if you have a realistic delivery time just say it!!!! dont bullshit. cos that is when all this storm starts to bubble up. but at least people will say blimey ok well at least we know. and if you get it done sooner then its a bonus....

Thanks for the tips, but like you well know we all learn by our mistakes and some times thats the best way. Even after we have been shown.

Good luck Mr C :thumb:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 24, 2014 11:13 am

You make the best foil in the world, I have your 2008 foil and it still beats the late comers. keep up the good work, don't let your competitors get their wish.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat May 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Rotule wrote:
windfreak74 wrote:what are de pros and cons of using infusion over wet layup vacum bagged?
This car was completely done by me and my teammates in the past when we ere in engineering school. Completely done with infusion, the new teams now use prepreg with carbon molds and an autoclave since they have a sponsor to give them acces to the autoclave..
http://www.etsmtl.ca/getattachment/b8a3 ... 10-%281%29

The best advantage if you want my opinion is that it also let you make your layup all with dry cloth and place everything well and form your cloth to your mold with vaccuum before getting dirty (infusion is very clean, no drip anywhere), if you already have a pump,
I'd say you should start doing some tests since you only need some flow media and some tubing and clamps to get started (since you already have a setup for bagging wet layup). I guess you use peel ply as well? However, you need to calculate well the quantity of resin.

you need a resin with low viscosity also so it wet all the cloth well. repairing a missed part is doable with a partial bagging and a second infusion but the look is affected a lot most of the time.

I never bagged wet layup parts since we only did the molds with wet layup. But just using wet layup is a hell of a dirty job, resin is dripping everywhere and i hate that :lol:

Note that i'm an electronic guy not the best composite guy but i understand a lot since i participated in the fabrication of these cars.
So i guess the next question would be : "is infusion difficult with core materials
like foam" ? I almost exclusively use honeycomb , so infusion would be a No-go for
me ; but Lots of people still use foam cores , (can't understand why though) ; except
for price ?

Bille

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Bille wrote:
So i guess the next question would be : "is infusion difficult with core materials
like foam" ? I almost exclusively use honeycomb , so infusion would be a No-go for
me ; but Lots of people still use foam cores , (can't understand why though) ; except
for price ?

Bille
We used foam core and it worked like a charm, sometime we drilled some tiny holes everywhere uin the core to get the resin flow trough but it was not necessary, and our parts were peretty damn big compared to an hydrofoil

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Hawaiis wrote:You make the best foil in the world, I have your 2008 foil and it still beats the late comers. keep up the good work, don't let your competitors get their wish.
LOL!!

You have not got a clue.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:You make the best foil in the world, I have your 2008 foil and it still beats the late comers. keep up the good work, don't let your competitors get their wish.
LOL!!

You have not got a clue.
Just see which hydrofoil can last that long without becoming spaghetti.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue May 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Hawaiis wrote: Just see which hydrofoil can last that long without becoming spaghetti.
This concept is interesting to me; Bryan Lake mentioned it when he was commentating on the SF races a couple of weeks ago.

My understanding is that carbon wings get fatigue over time and lose their rigidity? Bryan sounded like he was saying foils have a certain lifespan before they become a "noodle". Was I picking that up wrong? Is the lifespan something related to the construction technique? or is it something unavoidable and is a characteristic of carbon? It seems to me that the latter could not be the case if they are constructing things like airplane parts and the like from carbon, which human life depends on them not failing. Or is it like aluminum where it has a finite number of stress incidents?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Tue May 27, 2014 6:01 pm

It is construction I believe. If it is well constructed with solid composite,there would be no gap for water to go in. If there are air pockets, and you left it in the sun or nick one small hole, the composites be it fiberglass or carbon will delaminate.

wind_rider
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Freestyle
Gear: slingshot

Postby wind_rider » Sat May 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I like this thread and soooooooo good to see Carfinos big announcement from 2 days ago in the 50's in terms of talked about threads. Nobody believes a single word that scammer is saying or that we will ever get the money he owes back and its good to see that joker being starved of oxygen. His claims that it is a privilege to ride his foils are just an insult to the entire industry manufactiuers, riders, competitors and the sport in general particularly given how crap his previous efforts have proven to be. He said himself how he thrives on publicity good or bad so there is little point in the scammed warning the potential scammees and being accused of being Carafino bashers for the sake of it or massaging his ridiculously over inflated ego. I for one will try and avoid legitimising his idiotic ramblings with a direct reply and will try and keep to threads like this and I would encourage others to do the same. If the entire sport and industry ignore him for long enough and stop handing him good money with any luck he will just go away.

So appologies for hijacking and in the spirit of this thread I have bought a moses and Im loving it and looking forward to the kite foil boarding nationals in the UK next week.

The silente seems to be a good foil to learn on and has an option to progress to a more racey foil but Im looking at an Aguera Foil which looks good and is reassuringly expensive and wondered what the experience is here

Return to “Hydrofoil”