Jibe practising, difficult !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Jibe practising, difficult !

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 31, 2014 5:02 pm

Would just share how "lousy" I still am - but it is going forward, slowly :D

Part of the process, that it is not easy, and when you change from a waveboard to a hydrofoil back and fourth, and have my age - it takes a loooong time :rollgrin:

My board is only about 5 feet and very small and no straps, so I can not ride with the board down in our chop waves (and wont - it is not called "hydrofoiling" for nothing :naughty: )

Just learning to make a relatively sharp controlled 180 degree curve, without downlooping the kite and keep good tension and control, took a lot of time - but I can do this now both sides, and also ride a bit toeside (but not well yet).

Waves are always chop ½ to 1 meter, but it feels good when you initiate the turn on the face on a piece of chop wave :thumb:

I know good riders will laugh at me for taking so long to learn, but others might feel more confident seeing some like me still being "crap" at foiling jibes and switching feet - it still goes wrong just when changing pressure in order to switch feet - but I KNOW I'll be able to make it, as progress comes every time, particulary the last 3 sessions where jibes have been practised.

One bad attempt (took the kitecam out as it was going fine now occasionally, but then the wind dropped and only got one shot which went bad, as most often):

8) PF

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Jibe practising, difficult !

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Some foils are harder to gybe than the other, the Old 2008 Carafino or low aspect foils are easier to gybe. When you start turning, you lose some speed, the Carafino has a much lower stall speed than the high AR foils, so it will turn at a much lower speed without stalling, 6-7 knots. For high AR foils you need to maintain 10+ knots during the turn.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat May 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Agreed. I used to "jibe" my old 2008 Carafino and ride toeside all the time because I could not switch my feet. With my new Spotz foil/Aguera board I have much more trouble doing the same thing. Perhaps it is because of the 3 footstrap configuration. I also don't spend too much time working on it because I am trying real jibes (with a foot switch).

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 31, 2014 7:55 pm

You are right, of course high AR (low camber) and low area foils require more speed yes :thumb:

But that was not my point - the point is, it takes time (for me) to learn my body to control a jibe all the way round, and get rid of ALL other "normal" board habits that will destroy the jibe :wink:

Your body are used to handling and balancing intuitively on a surfboard, windsurfboard, kiteboard - even while you are sleeping you can do this after many years of experience.

This can NOT be used when jibing on a hydrofoil, and has to be forgotten (at least stoved away for these boards only) :naughty:

Exciting though, to "train" your body to a whole new experience, as it comes gradually and becomes more and more natural and intuitive :rollgrin:

Looking forward to be able to handle the jibe "fully" - and not just halfway or luck when succeding, like it is now :D

I dont know, are 3 straps more difficult to ride toeside than two ? (or two compared to one if out of the rear)
Maybe, but on the other hand, you can support the board in another way when having a strap, even when the foot is not centered.

Am not into racing whatsoever, so does not matter for me with 3 straps - but interesting to hear your thoughts on this ?
Gunnar might know and share.

8) Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Once you turn into toe side, I notice you did not move your back foot forward. You need to ride it like a surfboard by moving your back foot forward. Removing the back strap will help too.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Hawaiis wrote:Once you turn into toe side, I notice you did not move your back foot forward. You need to ride it like a surfboard by moving your back foot forward. Removing the back strap will help too.
???

I have no straps on my board :naughty:

I can ride toeside, and it does not work if my weight is too far forward (the board will come down on the water, a no go).
It seems to ride fine with the same stance as not toeside (at least on my foils), maybe because you lean forward a bit bending front leg, before attempting the switch :thumb:
But could be an idea to move the rear foot sligthly further forward and put pressure on the rear foot to keep foiling and better to go down than up true - dont know if better ?
Will find out...

But having the rear foot further foward, makes the turn much worse (difficult) IMO, a larger radius which is NOT the purpose (and you might have to downloop the kite to keep it running).
Way easier for me, to ride a tight radius when not too far forward but the exact same stance as when going straight.
Most important thing though, is to NOT go too deep before turning !
Better that you go slightly upwind instead, and with good speed - then you can make a tight turn and keep the kite alive :D

The challenge is, I need to be better at controlling everything, and doing the foot switch weightlessly !
I know, it will come, just have to wait and during time I am sure it will work (hoping) :rollgrin:

Just wanted to share a step on my "learning" path :D

8) PF

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sat May 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Sorry I could not see there was straps or not on the video.
I have the similar problem on high AR foils, they are very easy to stall side ways "Roll".
I thought they are being wider, they should be more stable, but it's just the opposite.
May be not enough anhedral ?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:39 am

Peter,
Consider a foot hook. No strap!
This will give you a consistant front foot placement location on your board and allow back foot placement options.
Then go fully strapless if you want. Kinda like training wheels on a kids bike.
And at least for me it is all about timing in turning the kite in relation to turning your foil.
Fast kite turn, fast foil turn. Start with slow kite up turns with bigger radius jibe flying turns.
As you get confortable turn the kite sharper, wait untill it starts to pull in the other direction and do a sharper, tighter radius foil turn with more angle on the strut.
Down kite turns are great in low wind and when you get a perfectly timed one flying you feel powerful.
And master toe side in both regular and goofy even if it seems hard , you will get it.
I am so stoked as today for the fisrt time I nailed flying stance changes in all 4 orientations after months of traning, flat h2o, gusty wind on 5m2.
I also am convinced of a simply learning trick.
See yourself riding just before you go to sleep. BE THERE!
Feel the wind, smell the salt water, sense the balance in pitch, roll and yaw.
Then train, in your head of course, but really do it in as real time as you can imagine.
Choose precise goals and complete them in an almost meditation state of mind.
Just my thoughts as I ponder my next session .....
R H
And remember as you already know, we "get it" much slower as we get older, but the reward is worth the time.
If it was easy what would the challange be worth?

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 am

Looking good Peter. Things takes time. Just be patient and you will nail it soon ;) Dont know if it is easier but sometimes its fun to try the tricks in a different way. So try switching your feet before you jibe. This way you carve the turn and exit heelside which is easier to control than toeside.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Any tips on switching before the turn? I have not yet been very successful on my Surfboard yet. I weigh 241 Pies. Loose all my Board Speed when I switch and then into the Drink!

Return to “Hydrofoil”