Rare Poster
Local Beach: X
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Plata
Style: Free-/Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

New Kite- Slingshot Fuel vs. Cabrinha Chaos 2013/14

Postby Crocket » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 am

Hey guys,

@first: I'm about 78 kg and I need a new kite for freestyle in lighter winds.
My smaller kites are 10+8m Torch 2013, which I really love, because their flying abilities , but I'd like to change to 4-Lines. So I want to go for a 13m kite of one of the two above.

My riding style is mostly unhooked freestyle(Blind Judge, Back to blind Airpasses...) and from time to time I enjoy boosting high.

Here's the problem:

I always wanted to stay with truely C-shaped kites, because the unhooked performance in perfect conditions is unmatched. :D

The conditions on my spots are often inconsistent. Especially on lighter western winds it's weird. It's often the case that the average wind speed is about 12 knots, but the gusts hit 22-24 knots :o .

So maybe the Cabrinha Chaos could deal with it better or does the Fuel also seal the deal?

So feel free to post your opinions about everything on the two kites! :wink:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Kite- Slingshot Fuel vs. Cabrinha Chaos 2013/14

Postby dyyylan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

12 gusting 22 is going to be shit no matter what you do.

One thing that I like about the fuel (and other C kites) is that trimming doesn't do as much. With the cabrinha you have 3 different knots to play with your power, with the fuel you just put them all on the same knot, and you have the same amount of adjustment just with your trim.

That can be handy when it's gusty. With cabrinha kites you want to fly them with short rear lines if it's 12 knots, and if it's 20 knots you be pulled by a freight train unless you're on long rear lines. c kites don't behave like that.

if it were me i would save my money and move somewhere else :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:51 am

Rpm?

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mike27 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am

Try to have a test on these kites.....because if you like Torch, the Fuel, Chaos or RPM have each one a TOTALLY different feel and flying charasteristic ! You will love them or hate them !

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Like said before, try them out!
I went from Vegas 08´s that I used to love to the 2014 Chaos and I must say, the Chaos makes life awesome on the water! I am stoked on that kite!

Tried the new vegas and Torch and decided on the Chaos even if it was a bit more expensive around my area.

2011 was the last fuel i tried and there has been abit of change so cannot comment on that :)

Crocket
Rare Poster
Local Beach: X
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Plata
Style: Free-/Wakestyle

Postby Crocket » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Thank you for your replies ;)

Well I tested already the actual Vegas, RPM from 2011 and Torch 2013 (because I own them).

My ranking would be:

1. Torch
reasons: aggresive lift, very direct feeling, great slack

2. Vegas
pefect bar feeling, smooth, much slack(but sometimes sketchy...after landing zero pressure on the bar and one second later the kite accelerates as hell :o . Might have been the gusty conditions on the testing day)

3.RPM
felt really heavy on the bar( I don't like that)does somehow everything ok, , but unhooked qualities were shit-> pulled like a truck and no slack

But at the moment I have no chance to test the fuel/Chaos, because there are no Slingshot and Cabrinha dealers in the near. But from your answers I guess that the fuel is no 4-Line Torch :-?

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish

Postby Mike27 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Crocket wrote:Thank you for your replies ;)

Well I tested already the actual Vegas, RPM from 2011 and Torch 2013 (because I own them).

My ranking would be:

1. Torch
reasons: aggresive lift, very direct feeling, great slack

2. Vegas
pefect bar feeling, smooth, much slack(but sometimes sketchy...after landing zero pressure on the bar and one second later the kite accelerates as hell :o . Might have been the gusty conditions on the testing day)

3.RPM
felt really heavy on the bar( I don't like that)does somehow everything ok, , but unhooked qualities were shit-> pulled like a truck and no slack

But at the moment I have no chance to test the fuel/Chaos, because there are no Slingshot and Cabrinha dealers in the near. But from your answers I guess that the fuel is no 4-Line Torch :-?
For me the RPM has 0 pressure to turn the kite, but heavy pressure to sheet in ! Agree shitty kite to unhook.

Fuel is the opposite.....very lignt to sheet in but hard to turn the kite.....slow compare to other three kite...

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 am

The Chaos is great for that wind range that you're looking for and is an awesome freestyle kite. I would go for it over the Fuel as it will have better range. Doesn't slack AS much but it's going to work better for what you described. The 13m is a beauty size. Go for the 2014 though as it is much improved especially in the big sizes from the 2013.

Return to “Kitesurfing”