Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Neo 2014

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 am

Da Yoda wrote:
hced wrote:Finally got the chance to try NEO 2014 (size 9) and Dice (11). 85kg, 80% wave, 20 old school, most of the time only ride wind generated waves, in short prioritizing pure wave capabilities from 18 knots and up, below 18 knots freeride.

I fully agree with all statement in this thread when it comes to description and capabilities of each kite.
The Dice has way to bad low-end for my taste and compared to Neo not fast enough in the waves.
Prioritizing wave capabilities Neo is a fanstastic kite, in the high-end the bar feedback is little bit to much, on the other hand it has everything else you would like from a wave perspective and personally I would rather have some more low-end and sacrificing the heavy bar stroke.
Will probably go for Neo 9 and 7 or 6.

Said that, Dice is not a bad kite, just not my cup of tea.
+1.
I was at the Pismo Kite Expo this last weekend. I got to demo the 2014 12m Dice and Neo.
Hced summed it up perfectly... my experience was exactly the same. Several others were saying the same thing. North is spot-on about the ability to downsize. I think an 11m Neo would be closer to the 12m Dice in power. I will very likely add a new Neo to my quiver. Awesome kite for my various styles of riding. :thumb:

I'd almost say a 10m neo would be the equivalent 12m dice, maybe if there was a 10.5m neo be very similar.

Dice doesn't have bad low end, it's a c kite, need to ride it as such. We've been on them for 8 months now and had to relearn the basics of C kite power generation having been on bow hybrids of different types since 2008. So it's not a bad low end, it's the rider trust me.

As far as for surfing, yep smaller is better for sure, if you like a delta hybrid feel and performance at the bar that is. I don't, so it just goes to show we are all looking for different things and you have to demo both.

spikiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island
Favorite Beaches: SPI Kite Ranch
Style: all
Gear: NORTH
Liquid Force
Ben Wilson Surf
North Pacific Surfboards
ION - NSI
Brand Affiliation: South Padre Island Kiteboarding
SPI Kite Ranch
Been thanked: 0

Postby spikiteboarding » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Come out to South Padre Island and try the new North kites and boards. We will have them out for demo @ The SPI Kite Ranch today and tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers

rebeliousone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beach
Style: Straps=no
Gear: Rebels

Postby rebeliousone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Had a chance to fly the Neos for 2014 a few times now and I'm very impressed. Yesterday conditions were side shore and some side on. Here is my take and take in consideration my size as well. I am 6'5" and weigh 230 lbs.

1. Low end - 12M around 14-18 mph purely powered. Kite is fast and very responsive, drifts well even in on shore conditions.

2. Low end - 10M around 16-20 ish...overpowered in 20 -22 mph. Kite is njght and day fast even from 12M. Very responsive and sits deep enough so you can ride the wave down the line and upwind.

3. Low end - 7M around low 20's. Rode very comfy and it was averaging 20-24 or so at most. Has lots of low end grunt and is prob one of the fastest 7's I have ever ridden. Not only is it fast but it has direct I put and all the kites pivot on the wing tips.

I switched from the rebels because I felt although they were all around a great kite, they were slow and did not drift like I needed. Also, the rebels sit so far up in the wind window for great upwind that they yank you off the wave if you want to ride upwind. They also turn in a wide arc and do not pivot near ad fast as the rebels.

Surprisingly the neos soar upwind just fine. In fact I felt in all sizes they did nearly as well as the rebels if not better.

Weight is also very light. I feel the rebels keep getting heavier year after year and especially this year. I believe the lightness of these kites really helps with the performance of the kites. That is one thing I hope does not change at all.

Very happy finally with a great wave kite.

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”

Postby silversurfer_no » Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 am

I have been searching for a proper high wind kites for years now and finally North came out with proper wave dedicated kites for windy days. Last year only the EVO came in 4 but now we are spoilt for choice with both Neo and Dice in 4m :D

Anyway, I picked up a 4m2 Neo the other day to complement my 6 and 9 Dice. Yesterday we had a bit of a breeze here at my home spot of Pozo Izquierdo (Gran Canaria) with 50 knot gusts so finally got to try out my new toy.

Very very pleased ! For a start, and most important when really windy, it handles well at shore when launching and it does not generate a lot of upwards pull when depowered. With a rocky launch in gusty strong wind it is crucial that the kite behaves and does not pull you off your feet. I could comfortably kneel down, let go of the bar to get the board leash on, and have the nice feeling of kite control.

As for the on-water performance: Happy happy happy :-)
I have had other small kites (3,5 Kahoona and a 4m old Naish something strange looking kinked kite) and although they can handle big winds they have always felt like toys. They generate power when flown rapidly but lacks the 'torque' of a proper kite. Not so with the Neo. Got my feet in the straps (5'6" FireWire), swiped the kite once and locked in.
When coming in on the waves I simply choked the kite a little and could throw the kite around as I wanted without that uneasy feeling of the kite controlling you. Smooth turns with the kite, it comes quickly even with slack lines and the amount of power is easily controlled with the bar.

I felt I had to work a little more than usual to stay upwind but it may have been the gusty wind making a stable course difficult. 50 knot windchop also makes for hard upwind progress.

Update monday: Now sailed the 4m2 the last 4 days in winds ranging from 25-50 knots. The kite rocks in all these conditions. Yesterday was not so windy but took the 4m2 for waveriding. To get to the spot there is a 1k upwinder and I totally smoked my buddy on his 4m2 Rally. So upwind performance is good.

Anyway, so far very happy and looking forward to the upcoming summer where we have a lot of 40 knot plus days.
Attachments
image.jpg
Hit the time of day right ;-)
image.jpg
Some assorted carves with the Neo
image.jpg
4m2 North Neo in 50 knots. Salinas de Pozo Izquierdo.

danielt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fehmarn
Style: Wave
Gear: North Neo 2013
12 9 7
Seaflight Loose Contro 5'10
North Contact 6'0

Postby danielt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi guys,

I'd like to know what sizes of the 2014 Neo you guys would suggest for me. I am 83 kg and have a 2013 Neo Range in 7 , 9, 12. The smallest kite should still work in 40 knot gusts.
I'm quite happy with the Neos (used to have 2012 rebels in 7 9 12) , they could have more power though, so I can fly smaller sizes. I heard the 2013 Neos feel one size smaller.

Please let me know your answers in case you have actually flown the 2014 Neo.

I've been kitesurfing for 4 years almost and do waveriding only.

hced
Rare Poster

Postby hced » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:35 pm

I demo 2014 Neo 9, then bought 7,10. So far used 7 up to 32 knots had to depower 30% at 32kn. I usually like to ride well powered. Believe I could ride my 7 up to 35kn, above I would go for my Evo 6 2012. If you have a lot of days in 35-40kn I would go for 6.

I m about same weight as you and ride Whip and a more gun shaped custom board on the bigger days. Come from Evo 2011 which has a lot of low-end grunt and rather poor high-end, still using thoose for freeride. note, never tried previous Neo years.

Neo 2014 is a fantastic wave kite

danielt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fehmarn
Style: Wave
Gear: North Neo 2013
12 9 7
Seaflight Loose Contro 5'10
North Contact 6'0

Postby danielt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:54 am

hced wrote:I demo 2014 Neo 9, then bought 7,10. So far used 7 up to 32 knots had to depower 30% at 32kn. I usually like to ride well powered. Believe I could ride my 7 up to 35kn, above I would go for my Evo 6 2012. If you have a lot of days in 35-40kn I would go for 6.

I m about same weight as you and ride Whip and a more gun shaped custom board on the bigger days. Come from Evo 2011 which has a lot of low-end grunt and rather poor high-end, still using thoose for freeride. note, never tried previous Neo years.

Thank you for the info. I'm thinking about either 10/8/6 oder 9/7/5 but the 5 could be hardly be used. Mostly I use the 9 here.

Dave Whettingsteel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Horrocks, Geraldton, Perth
Favorite Beaches: Horrocks Beach
Style: Waves
Gear: Wam 6'
North Neo 2014 6,8,10

Postby Dave Whettingsteel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 am

hced wrote:I demo 2014 Neo 9, then bought 7,10. So far used 7 up to 32 knots had to depower 30% at 32kn. I usually like to ride well powered. Believe I could ride my 7 up to 35kn, above I would go for my Evo 6 2012. If you have a lot of days in 35-40kn I would go for 6.

Hi Daniel, I recently bought a 6,8,10 set of 2014 neo's. love them!
I reckon the 8 is about the same power as my old 2013 neo 9m. But it's a lot nippier. Pivot turns a lot faster.

Hope that helps a little. I'm 81k on a wam strapped.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:48 am

The Dice is NOT a "C" Kite
Why does everybody say that?
I keep hearing that all the time, but WTF?
So strange people with actual C kites don't say anything.

just a FYI

Here is the North description of the Dice

The Dice is a brand new kite for 2014, aimed at the rider wanting a do it all machine with C-Shape flying characteristics. Airton Cozzolino and Tom Court are using the Dice this year, showing you just how versatile it is. Happy performing wakestyle, freestyle or in the waves – the kite entertains on all levels. It is based around a C-Shape profile, using a lightweight three strut construction.
The kite feels lively in your hands, very direct and predictable in the air. The bar feedback is instinctive and riders find the kite easy to fly right out of the bag. Kiteloops are really easy with the Dice, and it is great fun to ride in the waves or flat water.

If you want a kite that will give you the maximum amount of fun in any conditions, choose the Dice, responsive, fast and great fun! -

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 pm

C shaped flying characteristics, based around a c shaped profile (the Vegas to be exact)

Potato, potarta...

Got a shit load more C than a neo. It's all relative.

It best performs with a c kite flying technique.

But it's no fuel, but a damn site closer than the neo, hence it asks to be flown very differently.

Return to “Kitesurfing”