Early beginner stuff...tips please.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Early beginner stuff...tips please.

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:52 pm

This was my third Session on a converted Rush Randle Foil Board with Aluminum wings last year.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Johhnn wrote: A couple of times I got going so fast I decided I better just hop off.

In no time you will be wanting to trade up to a high A/R wing to go faster!

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 pm

One good tip given to me for going upwind was to park the kite lower than you normally would while kiting. This increases pitch control and makes for less kangarooing. More yawing of the board and sheeting of the bar to control overpower/underpower.

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 am

what is a controlled wipe out? I need to know because neck protection is the most important for me.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 am

jplmain wrote:what is a controlled wipe out? I need to know because neck protection is the most important for me.
Controlled wipe out is when you feel you are going too fast, you jump ship before something bad happens, that way you have more control to where you land in the water.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 pm

@jplmain: I haven't found the wipeouts too bad or scary, yet. The worst thing that has happened is that yesterday my foot got caught in the footstrap. I am using only 1, very loose, in the front. It bent my big toe backwards and it hurts, but will be ok. Early on I was afraid the board would run into me when I fell off, or that it would be tipping over the wrong way and I would fall on the foil. The board has never run into me and by now, I can usually get off out of the way. I have had it tilt in unpleasant directions, but not often and with no bad consequences.

After yesterday, I am starting to consider more seriously to go without any strap at all. The problem is at my beach I have to body drag a ways out due to shallow water and prevailing on shore wind. Seems like it would be tough to body drag with no strap and very tough to position the board. Not sure I'm ready for the additional challenge quite yet, but soon. I wonder how much harder it will be? I just have to remember to back my foot a little out of the strap once I'm up.

@Hawaiis: Your videos are fun to watch. I like the music. I can see how the low AR foils are easier from your third session video--but, of course, you are probably very skilled with the ability to get on the water more often in your location.

Yesterday's session was a little bit better than the day before. I turned downwind a little when I got going too fast and could really enjoy the silence and smooth feeling. Gradually the board settled to the water and I could turn to windward and keep going. Still looking forward to the time when I can go with a little less conscious concentration and more flow. Looking for that "unhindered by the thought process" kind of feeling.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I would recommend a front and back strap (or two fronts if your board allows it). Not having a back strap means you will end up being swung around the front strap. You'll either tweak a knee/ankle, or you'll flip yourself onto your back and potentially whiplash.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

ozchrisb wrote:I would recommend a front and back strap (or two fronts if your board allows it). Not having a back strap means you will end up being swung around the front strap. You'll either tweak a knee/ankle, or you'll flip yourself onto your back and potentially whiplash.
Agree.

Go with 2 straps or no straps, especially when learning :thumb:

Strapless is quite difficult though when learning.

8) PF.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:01 pm

I agree that strapless is difficult when learning because of the difficulty in positioning the board and then water starting. But if you master that, actual riding strapless is not hard.

:wink: CG

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm

I would disagree on straps. I'm still too afraid to try them. The risk of injury is just too high IMO. I tried a board with only the front foot strap and found it required an uncomfortably narrow stance to balance the board due to the strap placement. As long as your back foot is directly on centerline when on foil, you can start with the front foot a little too far forward slowly moving it back until you pop up. Then you can fine tune the sweet spot. Practice strapless waterstart on directional board first if you are having trouble getting up.

Return to “Hydrofoil”